Daggers or swords for PvP?

Daggers or swords for PvP?

by Zenpth » Thu Mar 31, 2016 8:12 am

I'm nearly 60 now and I want to get reset my talents for the right build, atm i'm using daggers but I want this build http://db.vanillagaming.org/?talent#fhe0oxuZGcZVMecc0o. I'm not sure whether I should keep using daggers for this go with swords?
Zenpth
Private
Private

Re: Daggers or swords for PvP?

by Nothing » Thu Mar 31, 2016 9:10 am

Daggers...Don't use swords for PvP. That's a good spec but I'd take Hemo if I was you. Also, Imp Sap is not as useful as Hemo or anything else IMO. You could take away 3 points from backstab as you already have ambush and do Imp. kidney shot but that's up to you.

Reminder: Fast off-hand dagger and slower main-hand dagger.

http://db.vanillagaming.org/?talent#fheboxkZhfZV0es0hoo <-- Spec I use for wPvP
Nothing
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

by Setup » Thu Mar 31, 2016 9:56 am

Most decent rogues go hemo, and end up using a mace because MSA is easy to get and hard to beat.
Setup
Stone Guard
Stone Guard

by Zenpth » Thu Mar 31, 2016 7:19 pm

Nothing wrote:Daggers...Don't use swords for PvP. That's a good spec but I'd take Hemo if I was you. Also, Imp Sap is not as useful as Hemo or anything else IMO. You could take away 3 points from backstab as you already have ambush and do Imp. kidney shot but that's up to you.

Ok thanks a lot for that. and i'm currently using hemo but haven't really got a clue how to use it or when to use it.
Zenpth
Private
Private

by Zenpth » Thu Mar 31, 2016 7:38 pm

Zenpth
Private
Private

by Bluefear » Thu Mar 31, 2016 9:39 pm

Zenpth wrote:
Nothing wrote:Daggers...Don't use swords for PvP. That's a good spec but I'd take Hemo if I was you. Also, Imp Sap is not as useful as Hemo or anything else IMO. You could take away 3 points from backstab as you already have ambush and do Imp. kidney shot but that's up to you.

Ok thanks a lot for that. and i'm currently using hemo but haven't really got a clue how to use it or when to use it.

yeah definitely dont listen to that guy. if you're using hemo as daggers you are in the bottom 25% of the rogue playerbase
Bluefear
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

by Zenpth » Thu Mar 31, 2016 10:06 pm

Bluefear wrote:
Zenpth wrote:

yeah definitely dont listen to that guy. if you're using hemo as daggers you are in the bottom 25% of the rogue playerbase

Explain how he's wrong, I have heard that daggers shouldn't be used with hemo but this is gonna be my second 60 so I really don't know a huge amount about rogues. Also if i'm going hemo should I use swords or maces?
Zenpth
Private
Private

by Bluefear » Thu Mar 31, 2016 10:21 pm

Hemo does 100% weapon damage, which is much higher on a sword/mace than a dagger. If you're using hemo as daggers, you might as well just be using a sword or mace for more damage. Whichever one you use does not matter, since you won't pick up the weapon specialization talents as hemo spec

Your dagger build in the OP is pretty good. I would recommend moving points from imp poisons into imp expose armor. I prefer a hemo spec myself, since it's more reliable and you can actually do something if the enemy survives your opener (if you're a fresh 60, they probably will)

cookie cutter hemo spec (swords/fist/maces): http://db.vanillagaming.org/?talent#fhe0RxkZhZxMe0cGRo

most common opener will be CS - hemo - gouge - wait for energy - KS. If you pick up 5pc T1 for the +10 energy bonus you can add another hemo before the gouge if Initiative doesn't proc. After the KS spam hemo, use tea if its up, Cold Blood - Eviscerate (hopefully 5CP)

Oh also as hemo your offhand doesn't matter as long as your MH is high damage(aka slow)
So Sword MH Dagger OH is fine if you pick up a bonescraper or something, but if you do go Hemo you'll probably start with Dal'Rend's set
Bluefear
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

by Zenpth » Thu Mar 31, 2016 10:36 pm

Bluefear wrote:Hemo does 100% weapon damage, which is much higher on a sword/mace than a dagger. If you're using hemo as daggers, you might as well just be using a sword or mace for more damage. Whichever one you use does not matter, since you won't pick up the weapon specialization talents as hemo spec

Your dagger build in the OP is pretty good. I would recommend moving points from imp poisons into imp expose armor. I prefer a hemo spec myself, since it's more reliable and you can actually do something if the enemy survives your opener (if you're a fresh 60, they probably will)

cookie cutter hemo spec (swords/fist/maces): http://db.vanillagaming.org/?talent#fhe0RxkZhZxMe0cGRo

most common opener will be CS - hemo - gouge - wait for energy - KS. If you pick up 5pc T1 for the +10 energy bonus you can add another hemo before the gouge if Initiative doesn't proc. After the KS spam hemo, use tea if its up, Cold Blood - Eviscerate (hopefully 5CP)

Ok, I like this hemo build, i'll definitely look into that. Another question I have is with the weapons, I do enjoy Ambushing mages so could I use a dagger for my MH and mace/sword for my OH or would that be useless considering i'm hemo?
Zenpth
Private
Private

by Bluefear » Thu Mar 31, 2016 10:52 pm

Yeah if you want to ambush mages that's fine, it's just not going to do anywhere near as much damage as if you were dagger spec (Opportunity and Imp Ambush) and you would gimp yourself a lot by trying to fill out these talents as Hemo (only the 2 points in Heightened Senses could really be moved)

I prefer CSing mages. Most will blink right away, and that's fine, because you have 2-3 CP on them and they have used their blink. I usually Sprint after them, gouge the polymorph (or trinket if they got it off), and KS (maybe add a hemo before the KS if you think they won't react fast enough to do anything about it)

Another strategy for mages is CS immediately into Gouge. Most mages will blink, but because of server latency, the Gouge will apply just after the blink and you can waltz right up to them

Also if you Ambush a mage, they will probably Nova then blink (or just run away), making you burn Vanish
Bluefear
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

Next

Return to Rogue