Observing Mind Flay: bug?

Re: Observing Mind Flay: bug?

by Shadarz » Mon Dec 21, 2015 7:59 pm

Is haste an integral stat for Shadow Priests? And does haste affect channeling time? I have never played vanilla before, and only recently joined, so correct me if I am wrong. If haste affects channeling time, could this bug out mind flay to reduce the channeling time, but not send out another tick of damage? I couldn't really find anything online regarding haste and channeling spells. I also don't have a high enough priest (mine is only level 10, I just started a few days ago), so I can't really test this. That, and the lack of information online, is why I ask. Sorry if I got anything wrong, or am mistaken on a particular subject.

There are no haste items in vanilla for shadow priests.
Shadarz
Tester

by Mariehu » Sun Dec 27, 2015 8:57 am

This is something that happens with 20% or more of my mindflays (24-33 ms ping).

The time when it hurts the most for this bug to happen is when you take a direct damage on your mindflay that was only gonna give you 2 ticks, say a mage uses fireblast on you while channeling mind flay - it would tick only 1 time only.

There's been over a hundred moments where the last tick not happening has been the determining factor in why someone or something did not die and I or someone else died instead.

I have heard rumors about this happening to other spells, not sure though (eg. Arcane missilies / Evocation / Insert name of channeled AoE).

The only places I find this on the web is from other private servers where priests notice their last tick of Penance is missing.

As this is a core spell(probably the most used) in a shadow priest's rotation this is a major gamebreaking bug and needs a fix very soon
Mariehu
Sergeant
Sergeant

by Ana » Sun Dec 27, 2015 1:16 pm

I'll do some proper testing once I'm back from holidays, but a question for those who have done some: I'm under the impression that 3rd tick gets eaten when both 1st and 2nd are delayed (as in, not happening 1 second after you start casting but later still) and ONLY then. Can you confirm this?

If this is true, then there is an easy as hell hack job of a solution to be implemented: just make the dot start ticking like 100ms earlier (or if first delay vs tick delay is a single variable, lower it from 1000ms to, say, 950). This would theoritically make it possible to clip the end (because last tick in good mind flays would happen a tad bit before end of channeling) for better dps but nobody sane would try to consistently employ this because the server is too laggy to have any reliability. And on the other hand it solves 90% cases of the lost 3rd tick.
Ana
Stone Guard
Stone Guard

by Imbaslap » Sun Dec 27, 2015 2:25 pm

it should be 3 ticks for a FULL channel of mindflay. also keep in mind on any pushback effects like "raid damage" that may cause this issue. another method (probably not the most mana efficient) is to toggle mind flay in a way that you do 2 ticks then stopcast/recast so you're not losing dps to a crappy bug. also take into account if a mob or target moves out of the mindflay range as well mid channel.

there are lots of variables that could make it seem bugged. make sure it is tested in a raid, with no pushback mechanics, and no movement on the target..

channel spells can get wonky on Nostalrius.
Imbaheals
<Blacklisted Raid Leader>
Local Horde Kidnapper of Tarren Mill.
Rift Allstar Cleric 2011-2013
World 1st and 2nds with guilds Addiction/Blackout/Babytown/Trinity.
https://www.youtube.com/user/imbaslap/videos
Imbaslap
Legionnaire
Legionnaire

by Ana » Sun Dec 27, 2015 4:53 pm

Duh.

Imbaslap wrote:there are lots of variables that could make it seem bugged. make sure it is tested in a raid, with no pushback mechanics, and no movement on the target..

Check this vid, posted on previous page: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BaP7_jba2LQ
1) PWS = no pushback
2) mob stands there = no range issues
3rd tick gets eaten 1/3 of the time anyway.

Assuming it's server lag related then trying it in a raid will probably result in the bug occuring less often. But it doesn't solve anything, just lets us pretend the bug isn't as severe as it is provided the circumstances are optimal.
Clipping MF after 2 ticks is yet another way to circumvent the bug rather than address it. It isn't sustainable, either (except for extremely short fights).
Ana
Stone Guard
Stone Guard

by Madotsuki » Sat Mar 19, 2016 4:04 pm

I see this very often by myself. Can you please fix it? This bug by itself already sensiblely lowers SP viability and not so high damage.
Madotsuki
Tester

by vesko132 » Tue Apr 05, 2016 9:15 pm

I have noticed this with mend pet as well. It is safe to assume all channeling spells are broken on Nostalrius. :lol: :lol: :lol:
vesko132
Grunt
Grunt

by Sunah » Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:01 am

From what I remember of my tests from forever ago. Spell haste affects channel time. You should still receive 3 ticks per channel and increasing haste will not do more ticks in the time of the channel. I can't remember the channel time for flay so I will make up a number. You get 3 ticks in 5 secs of channeling. Increasing haste just makes the 3 ticks go faster. So doubling your haste will make the 3 ticks happen in a 2.5 sec channel now. So when you say you are only getting 2 ticks.. it could just be a visual thing. Download a damage addon or look at the combat log to make sure.

But now im reading there isn't any spell haste in vanilla so my test must be from another xpac haha... Sooo.. disregard this post.
Sunah
Tester

Previous

Return to Priest