Priest Leveling Guide

Re: Priest Leveling Guide

by Ganja_Man » Mon Feb 22, 2016 5:15 pm

Thanks for making this guide! One question though, will I be able to heal dungeons with this talent spec or is it meant to grind quest completely?
Ganja_Man
Tester

by Krigareen » Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:46 pm

Having leveled a Troll priest during the last month, following this guide. Although with a slightly better budget then most and beeing bosted in dungeons for wands out of my normal level range.

I found that this guid is very useful. Although I understand the theory and numbers you pull out from abilities vs efficiency, I just can't see why you limit yourself to X and Y abilities and says no to some abilities due to high manacost.

For example: My normal rotation is: Start with Mind Blast, follow by a sw: p dot, the damage and the dot should land on the mob at the same time. During this 1.5 seconds global cooldown that follows the Dot I run back 2 steps so I can get out a full Mind Flay. At the end of the Mind Flay I use the Troll Racial Shadow Guard, this gets a high bonus from shadow damage, shadow weaving and other shadow damage increasing talents. Then I proceed wanding for the remaining 30% Hp of the mob.

This rotation makes it possible to kill equal or higher leveled mobs without any downtime. There is no need to heal if you have a high enough spirit, because spirit, as many forget to see, also heals you out of combat. And it heals for quite a lot with Spirit Tap enabled.

At level 40 I'm chain pulling as fast as humanly possible. Killing mobs way faster then any other class present at close to equal level or higher, I even kill mobs and PvP at the same time without neediong to heal or even going out of mana.

Anyways. Good guide! And thank you.
Krigareen
Grunt
Grunt

by Bux » Wed Feb 24, 2016 5:36 pm

Been using this guide and it's great thanks for posting it

But need to be an extreme healing noob and ask the basics of healing 5-mans. I've no experience for this and trying to learn but want to be better. I've been keeping pw:s up as much as possible on tanks and spamming lesser heal when tank is taking damage, then I pop pw:s again and use renew to bring tank up to full health again. I'm having success and no one has died yet but I've had close calls.

What am I doing wrong? What can I do better? What's a cycle I can use? Thank you in advance for any help.
Bux
Tester

by Garfunkel » Wed Feb 24, 2016 6:15 pm

Renew and PWS are a waste of mana and should not be part of your regular cycle.

Use Renew only when tank is either taking too much damage and you need to maximize your healing output or use it on a DPS who has taken damage while you concentrate on healing the tank.

PWS hinders rage gain for warriors and bears, so you should only use it in emergencies or at the pull if you know that he boss will hit the tank very hard on the outset. You can use it more freely with a pally tank of course.

Keep max rank Flash Heal ready for emergencies - if tank gets really low, pop PWS and then cast FH, that combo should keep them up and you can then cast either Greater Heal or normal Heal to top them up.

Always use a spell that heals the tank for little more than what they have lost, so if they get hit during your casting time, you will top them up (or close) and even if they don't, you're not wasting mana with too much overhealing.

What exact ranks of spell to use depends on your gear and the gear of the tank. But always remember that if shit hits the fan, let dps die while keeping the tank up. You can always ress them later and even if only the two of you are standing, you have a decent chance of survival. If the tank dies, it's most likely a wipe - though skilled dps can kite the mobs around.

Protip: rooted mobs will ignore their threat list and hit a player who is in melee range. So if a mage uses frost nova and a mob is right next to you, move away.
FInd me on: Laureliana - Lauraliana - Lauroliana - Lauruliana - Lauriliana
NELF POWER!
Garfunkel
Stone Guard
Stone Guard

by Ana » Wed Feb 24, 2016 8:36 pm

Don't bother with spamming lesser heal, healing the tank once every 10 seconds for half his health is 10x better for your mana management.
Ana
Stone Guard
Stone Guard

by Krigareen » Thu Feb 25, 2016 10:23 am

Use a big heal when the tank is at half HP followed by a renew i that is the only target taking damage, this will give you more time to regen mana using the 5 second rule. During the time you're not doing shit, wand.
Krigareen
Grunt
Grunt

by doglover » Thu Feb 25, 2016 10:50 pm

nvm. Very nice guide :)
Last edited by doglover on Fri Feb 26, 2016 12:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
doglover
Private
Private

by Krigareen » Fri Feb 26, 2016 12:00 am

It changes to spellpower during the 1.11 patch, if I'm not mistaken.
Krigareen
Grunt
Grunt

by Vivalabam » Sun Feb 28, 2016 2:57 am

Hey

Thanks alot for posting this guide. Awsome job. I started leveling a priest and kinda figured the wand thing out by buying the lvl 5 wand. Im am totally wrecking mobs at low lvls and will try your following your guide when im going up in lvls. From lvl 10 to 15 i kill mobs way faster then when lvling my hunter, knowing this will change.

Again thanks for spending ur time making a guide like this

Viva
Vivalamia

Lvl 60 Hunter
Famous Last Word Officer
Vivalabam
Tester

by Fisher » Sun Feb 28, 2016 10:27 am

Krigareen wrote:I found that this guid is very useful. Although I understand the theory and numbers you pull out from abilities vs efficiency, I just can't see why you limit yourself to X and Y abilities and says no to some abilities due to high manacost.

It's all about finding what works for you and using the information I've provided as a baseline for what to do. There are so many variables to consider while leveling that saying "always do X" doesn't work. If you can afford to use Mind Blast every mob, that's great. However, you can do more damage for the same amount of mana if you use Mind Flay instead. So instead of Mind Blasting a mob to start, try Mind Flaying more.

Bux wrote:Been using this guide and it's great thanks for posting it

But need to be an extreme healing noob and ask the basics of healing 5-mans. I've no experience for this and trying to learn but want to be better. I've been keeping pw:s up as much as possible on tanks and spamming lesser heal when tank is taking damage, then I pop pw:s again and use renew to bring tank up to full health again. I'm having success and no one has died yet but I've had close calls.

What am I doing wrong? What can I do better? What's a cycle I can use? Thank you in advance for any help.

Don't use Power Word: Shield on a tank unless you know they're going to be one shotted with the next melee attack/ability. Power Word: Shield prevents the tank from generating any rage from damage taken, which severely hinders their threat generation, and can lead to sticky situations. Also, try not to cast Renew unless the tank is taking a lot of damage and you need to maximize healing throughput.

In most situations, you're perfectly safe just wanding until the tank is ~50% HP, then casting a Greater Heal. Greater Heal does the most healing per mana, and this will allow you to continue healing efficiently without needing to drink as often (or at all). In emergencies, you'll have plenty of mana to spend casting Flash Heals to save any party members near death.

The longer you're not casting, the more mana you'll regenerate, so being impatient and spamming heals that aren't necessary will drain your mana very quickly. Be calm and only cast when you need to. Also, avoid casting any spell that was learned before level 20, as +healing on your gear does a lot less for any spell learned before that point. This includes Lesser Heal.

And to (mostly) everyone, thanks for the positive feedback, and I'm glad you are finding my guide helpful.
Fisher
Grunt
Grunt

PreviousNext

Return to Priest