Gearing up Shadow for PvP while Raid Healing?

Gearing up Shadow for PvP while Raid Healing?

by itwasfree » Thu Jan 14, 2016 11:57 pm

New to this concept of getting my PvP gear from raiding. Is it feasible to get my shadow priest geared up for PvP while being a main healer for a raid or is my best course of action to search for a guild willing to run a shadow priest (and has a spot).

I know speccing back and forth is a major financial barrier. But I don't mind biting the bullet for a few months.
itwasfree
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

Re: Gearing up Shadow for PvP while Raid Healing?

by Forcerius » Sun Feb 07, 2016 4:57 pm

itwasfree wrote:New to this concept of getting my PvP gear from raiding. Is it feasible to get my shadow priest geared up for PvP while being a main healer for a raid or is my best course of action to search for a guild willing to run a shadow priest (and has a spot).

I know speccing back and forth is a major financial barrier. But I don't mind biting the bullet for a few months.

Well you could always claim that you need the gear for healing. And actually use it for healing raids, since alot of the gear could still be used for PVP, even if there's better "pvp pieces" they may not let you have due to mages / lock priority. Otherwise just try to raid as shadow. Or you could just farm honor with a premade and get destroyed for a few weeks until you get some blues to compete. Unless you can get some geared people to join your premade. I'm in the same boat but still low lvl on this char.
studyquran.org/resources/Quran_Reformist_Translation.pdf
Submission to God alone and doing good work is the only path to Paradise.
Peace be upon you.
Forcerius
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

by Ana » Sun Feb 07, 2016 5:45 pm

If you're raiding as a healer then your only hope is taking an item as OS (that is, if none of the dps want the piece, you have a shot). Needless to say you have no chance of winning any of the sweet items like Choker this way. However you will have a much much easier time getting into raids to begin with, which is quite helpful. Can collect some junk epics, better than greens from leveling.
If you're raiding as shadow... then you still won't get Choker :D probably, anyway. You do have a chance though. Raids will often want to prioritize "real dps" but some pieces are contestable if you're MS shadow. This has the downside of having to work your ass off to actually get into the raid.

ALL THAT BEING SAID... your best advantage is that most of the gear you need isn't from raids :P Let's see. You can get by with the following:
- headpiece - Crimson Felt Hat is good enough until you have R10 helm
- neck - Anastari Heirloom is more than good enough
- shoulders - Felcloth will do, next stop is priest T1 or R10
- cloak - AV rep (honored)
- chest - R8 is your goal, sucks until then but MC doesn't have any alternatives to offer either
- wrist - Sublime Wristguards
- gloves - Felcloth or R7
- belt - AV rep (honored)
- boots - Maleki's are decent, then R7
- rings - Songstone / Eye and the WSG honored ring
- trinkets - briarwood but you'll probably use PvP trink and net anyway
- wand - Stormrager is already great
- MH / OH / staff - Anathema, hands down; that's from MC but the required item is for healers as well as shadowpriests so go with whichever spec

Easy. Spend some gold and you only need to hit MC for Anathema (maybe Lucifron neck if you insist).

Now, if you want real BiS... fighting for gear in BWL is unpleasant :(
Ana
Stone Guard
Stone Guard

by Tinkertown » Mon Feb 08, 2016 2:24 am

Join one of those Pure DKP guilds. Then you will have no issue. Just bid on what you want.
Tinkertown
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

by Haitharn » Mon Feb 08, 2016 5:45 am

Tinkertown wrote:Join one of those Pure DKP guilds. Then you will have no issue. Just bid on what you want.

That's how I got a tear and choker :P
Haitharn
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

by DrearyYew » Mon Feb 08, 2016 7:48 am

Ana wrote:If you're raiding as a healer then your only hope is taking an item as OS (that is, if none of the dps want the piece, you have a shot). Needless to say you have no chance of winning any of the sweet items like Choker this way. However you will have a much much easier time getting into raids to begin with, which is quite helpful. Can collect some junk epics, better than greens from leveling.
If you're raiding as shadow... then you still won't get Choker :D probably, anyway. You do have a chance though. Raids will often want to prioritize "real dps" but some pieces are contestable if you're MS shadow. This has the downside of having to work your ass off to actually get into the raid.

ALL THAT BEING SAID... your best advantage is that most of the gear you need isn't from raids :P Let's see. You can get by with the following:
- headpiece - Crimson Felt Hat is good enough until you have R10 helm
- neck - Anastari Heirloom is more than good enough
- shoulders - Felcloth will do, next stop is priest T1 or R10
- cloak - AV rep (honored)
- chest - R8 is your goal, sucks until then but MC doesn't have any alternatives to offer either
- wrist - Sublime Wristguards
- gloves - Felcloth or R7
- belt - AV rep (honored)
- boots - Maleki's are decent, then R7
- rings - Songstone / Eye and the WSG honored ring
- trinkets - briarwood but you'll probably use PvP trink and net anyway
- wand - Stormrager is already great
- MH / OH / staff - Anathema, hands down; that's from MC but the required item is for healers as well as shadowpriests so go with whichever spec

Easy. Spend some gold and you only need to hit MC for Anathema (maybe Lucifron neck if you insist).

Now, if you want real BiS... fighting for gear in BWL is unpleasant :(

Also check out the Flarecore Legs and Flarecore Robe. High Stamina and Spell Power, but no Intellect.
Dreary - Human "Needs No Mana" Holy Paladin
DrearyYew
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

by Ana » Mon Feb 08, 2016 2:14 pm

Heh I knew I missed some slot. Yeah Flarecore Legs are perfect for leg slot. They cost quite a bit though.
Ana
Stone Guard
Stone Guard

by hechie » Mon Feb 22, 2016 2:26 pm

my best advise would be to find a guild that is based on DKP but i dont think you will be able to find a high end guild. with the current gear you have now. then i would aim for a small newly started guild that are either progessing MC or BWL. when you join this small guild then show tons of dedication and dont be affriad of taking some responsablity fx. be the one who pull baron down with mindvison. be the one who knows how to controll razorgore and stuff like that so you are not only a support to the DPS but also to the Guild. in that way you will not
meet ppl that is against you getting stuff on the same pace as the other casters becaus you have worked hard for the guild.
hechie
Sergeant
Sergeant

Return to Priest