How important are professions on a priest?

How important are professions on a priest?

by itwasfree » Fri Jan 15, 2016 1:45 am

Currently going my non-melee default for my main: Herbalism/Alchemy
[When I level a melee, it's all about that mining/engineering.]

However, two things have been brought to my attention:
1) Lack of nodes makes Herbalism/Alchemy difficult to make money off of [of course the rewards if you camp the nodes can be impressive.]
2) Apparently, tailoring makes some great pre-raid gear & unlike nodes, cloth is plentiful. Can tailoring be a money maker end game, on par with Alchemy?

And one additional question: Does a pvp focused shadow priest have any use for Engineering?

Sidenote:
I take First Aid on every char I play (don't play a lot of healers). I figured later on, I'll enjoy it once I have shadow form + start actually going oom at the end of fights. On a scale of 1 to Retarded, where am I?
Was using that cloth for Tailoring a no brainer?
itwasfree
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

Re: How important are professions on a priest?

by Imbaslap » Fri Jan 15, 2016 2:21 am

first aid always on any character. sometimes having a bandage when you're silenced comes in handy. :)

most people go tailoring for the truefaith vestments.. granted this is really good, but play what you feel that you need to maximize your character. vanilla professions wasn't end all, be all. you can get away with some farming professions to gather gold and materials.
another market worth investing if you got the time and other players. enchanters can make lots of money disenchanting all their items and selling on the AH. everyone wants enchants!
and yes, engineering helps in PVP :)
Imbaheals
<Blacklisted Raid Leader>
Local Horde Kidnapper of Tarren Mill.
Rift Allstar Cleric 2011-2013
World 1st and 2nds with guilds Addiction/Blackout/Babytown/Trinity.
https://www.youtube.com/user/imbaslap/videos
Imbaslap
Legionnaire
Legionnaire

by Ana » Fri Jan 15, 2016 6:25 am

I picked up enchanting for the sole purpose of 2-manning DME with a miner fury warrior. Excellent investment, I'd say. You don't even need to level the prof and it immediately returns profit :P

Tailoring is for truefaith vestments but that's about it. Kinda like going full tailor for BV set bonus on mage/warlock, except not nearly as good (truefaith is bis but the alternatives aren't much worse really)

Alchemy is workable, actually. You can do wonders with the herbs from DM lashers (Elixir of Shadow Power and Giants from drops alone, you can do plenty others by combining e.g. the fuckton of dreamfoil you get with some other mat from AH)

Now I won't delete all this (someone might find it useful) but I just spotted the "pvp focused shadow priest" part. Oh well. You're fucked :P Well as shadow you can buy felcloth gear from people so don't need tailoring really. Do engi and first aid (hands down best profs for pvp, no contenders there), then unless you wanna respec every day your main income source will be Maraudon so 2nd main prof doesn't matter. DME (lashers or 3 boss farm or whatever) is out of question as shadow.
Ana
Stone Guard
Stone Guard

by itwasfree » Fri Jan 15, 2016 1:32 pm

Thanks for the feedback, really appreciate it. I'm not focused on PvP in the short term, or even long term. But was curious how it changed things.

I would prefer shadow for PvE, but it seems like that's becoming a more difficult proposition than I realized and may end up healing anyway.
itwasfree
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

by hechie » Wed Jan 20, 2016 12:32 pm

itwasfree wrote:Thanks for the feedback, really appreciate it. I'm not focused on PvP in the short term, or even long term. But was curious how it changed things.

I would prefer shadow for PvE, but it seems like that's becoming a more difficult proposition than I realized and may end up healing anyway.

if you want to find a shadow Raid spot you more or less have to enter a guild as Healer and show your dedication to the guild. or you can go and farm rank 13 gear and then there would be a few guilds hunting you to join :)
hechie
Sergeant
Sergeant

Return to Priest