Shadow priest stat weights?

Shadow priest stat weights?

by Delusional » Tue Mar 15, 2016 10:36 am

Hello guys, been trying to find a source were they weight the stats vs each other for SPs together with calculations to motivate, all i've found is bhunnes guide but it dosnt rly explain why 1 hit is worth 6 spell power at 300 dps and 12 spell power at 600 dps.

The interesting stats would be,
Hit vs SP
crit vs sp
On a fight like ragnaros were you can just sit and spamm your full rotation with MB on CD.

I realize this all is fight depending, like on fights were you can spamm MB on CD the values for crit and hit would go up since dots cant crit, crit will be useless on fights were you can't afford to use MBs on CD or even at all but hitvalue would also be lower aswell i suppose?

In current content in a raid with high raidDPS you can pretty much use MB on every CD and for this reason i've been rating hit and crit pretty high (compared to no MB/CD fight) since the game first roll if the spell will hit then crit, wich is why i've been using bloodvine>betrayers boots (im tailorer), and even jindoos bag > tome of shadow force.

But maybe im totally wrong in this, anyways would be interesting to hear what the rest of this servers SPs think about this.
Delusional
Private
Private

Re: Shadow priest stat weights?

by Ana » Tue Mar 15, 2016 6:39 pm

But dot and MF can miss too ;o try running around with 0 hit for a while. Missing with SWP (sometimes twice in a row) will quickly drive you insane. I would say +hit is always extremely valuable no matter the encounter.

Some hack job of a math attempt for crit

Assumptions:
- cycle is SWP -> (2MF + MB) x3
- your gear gives you mindblasts at 1,2k, 1,8k crits (at 5x weaving)
- weaving always up
- no imp shadowbolt (cba)

1 crit equals 1% chance of MB doing 50% more damage.
In 100 MB casts you'll get 1 more MB doing 50% more damage. That is, 600 more damage.

100 casts = 33.3 cycles = +/- 800 seconds. 600 damage increase over 800 seconds. 0.75 dps increase.

That's like, bad. Can anyone spot any glaring errors because I'm tired now?

Let's try SP (10 SP for convenience)
I'll simplify coefficients, don't hate
MF: 45% base. Roughly 60% with shadowform and 5x weaving (tested). Roughly 66%, I guess? with shadowform, weaving and curse. 22% per tick.
SWP: 100% untalented base (6 ticks). Roughly 132% with shadowform and weaving (tested). Roughly 145% with all.
MB: same as full duration MF.

Now, 10 SP will give...
2.2 damage per MF tick
plus 14.5 damage per 6 SWP ticks -> 2.4 damage per 1 SWP tick
plus 6.6 damage per MB

Full cycle = 8 SWP ticks + 3 MB + 18 MF ticks. 8*2.4 + 3*6.8 + 18*2.2 = 79.2

10 sp = 79.2 damage over 24 seconds = 3.3 dps

1 crit = 0.75 dps
10 sp = 3.3 dps

1 crit = 2.27 sp

The results feels somewhat right intuitively, but I dunno honestly. Thoughts?
Ana
Stone Guard
Stone Guard

by Delusional » Wed Mar 16, 2016 10:04 am

Math looks pretty good it seems, missing clobal cooldown in the count i think. thought crit would be abit stronger tbh.

Is the coefficiency rates correct? Thought MF was only 47,5% and swp 100%, could you link your sources or is this your ow testing?

What about hitrating tough? I rate it pretty high aswell since shadow weaving can miss aswell. But not rly sure at wich rate SP outweight hitrating, would be very cool with some math here too but tbh i dont know how to do it myself x)
Delusional
Private
Private

by Haitharn » Wed Mar 16, 2016 2:25 pm

Delusional wrote:Math looks pretty good it seems, missing clobal cooldown in the count i think. thought crit would be abit stronger tbh.

Is the coefficiency rates correct? Thought MF was only 47,5% and swp 100%, could you link your sources or is this your ow testing?

What about hitrating tough? I rate it pretty high aswell since shadow weaving can miss aswell. But not rly sure at wich rate SP outweight hitrating, would be very cool with some math here too but tbh i dont know how to do it myself x)

We need some of those smart warlock guys in here, doin our math homework for us! Guybrush I'm calling you out
Haitharn
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

by Ana » Wed Mar 16, 2016 3:14 pm

Hit rating calculation will be super complicated, I cba :P
I mostly consider hit in terms of "get that goddamn cap and save yourself plenty of headache" rather than actual comparisons to spell power etc.

GCD isn't missing. 6 MFs = 18 seconds. 3 mindblasts = 4.5 seconds. 22.5 sec total, you're left with 1.5 which is exactly how much the GCD from SWP consumes. The 2 MF - MB rotation fits perfectly with the dot's duration unless you delay some casts.

The coefficient is indeed 47% for MF (or 44%, or maybe 46%, I've seen like 20 different sources but whatever, somewhere around there). I'm talking about "coefficient" as what you'll get in an actual raiding situation, after applying the multitude of +%damage thingys. Example:
+100 SP will buff your MF by 47 points (47% coef)
then those 47 points get multiplied by 115% thanks to shadowform
then the result gets multiplied by 115% thanks to shadow weaving on the target
then the result from that gets multiplied by 110% thanks to CoS
oh, and *120% if shadowbolt is up :P

Suddenly your +100 SP makes MF quite a bit stronger than you'd expect :)
I realise there may be naming confusion (calling it all coefficients is quite a mess) but you can't just ignore the various damage buffs while trying to compare stats for an actual raiding situation.

And yeah, I did my own testing. I was attempting to figure out whether SF and Darkness damage buffs scale with gear. I honestly don't remember the results for Darkness (it's a pain in the ass without respeccing :P) But SF definitely scales.
Ana
Stone Guard
Stone Guard

by Delusional » Wed Mar 16, 2016 4:41 pm

oh well thanks for all the valuable information Ana much appreciated ^^
yes indeed Haitharn hahaha x)
Delusional
Private
Private

by Alyndra » Fri Mar 18, 2016 1:36 pm

no crit is really worthless. even with 5/5 mb on cd, without a 100% crit dmg talent like mages the increase is just so neligible compared to other stats.

hi however is very important. especially considering mana problems. having to recast a SW:P is poison for overall dps.

source: theorycraft addon

also since it is really easy to be capped as priest and all the gearing options available in AQ i don't see the need to drop hit for any number of spellpower. especially with highend gear.
Alyndra
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

by Delusional » Fri Mar 18, 2016 1:47 pm

Alyndra wrote:also since it is really easy to be capped as priest and all the gearing options available in AQ i don't see the need to drop hit for any number of spellpower. especially with highend gear.

yhea with BiS gear from AQ the highest amount of SP you'd be dropping for 1% hit would be 6 wich is nothing.

Side question though, would you guys go for the jindoo's bag of whammies over Tome of Shadow Force? its a pretty heavy SP dropp but as you said recasting SWP sucks balls.

Has anyone done AQ40 as Shadow Priest btw? would be iteresting to know how much MBs you'd be able to cast in there and if it'd be worth maybe going for 5/5 Mental Agility instead of any points in imp MB.
Delusional
Private
Private

by Ana » Fri Mar 18, 2016 4:14 pm

I've done AQ as mage but from general understanding of the encounters I expect roughly this:
Skeram - can probably burn him most of the time, he doesn't have a lot of health
Bugs - SWP everything, MB is probably convenient for Lord Kri
Sartura - SWP everything, MB from far away, don't come close for flaying unless super safe
Fankriss - burn mode from start to end
Viscidus - fast MBs useful for blobs
Huhuran - burn mode during enrage
Twins - no idea? you'll be on bugs I guess so MB is handy
Ouro - burn mode -> run away -> burn mode -> run away -> etc
C'thun - Nefarian on crack, just don't mindblast at all heh

So I guess MB comes in handy. Mana on C'thun might be a problem but you have some resting periods in p2 so respeccing probably isn't worth it. It MIGHT be a good idea to spec Silence for him, though (not sure if it works).
Ana
Stone Guard
Stone Guard

by Alyndra » Sat Mar 19, 2016 6:43 pm

Delusional wrote:Side question though, would you guys go for the jindoo's bag of whammies over Tome of Shadow Force? its a pretty heavy SP dropp but as you said recasting SWP sucks balls.

1% hit when not capped is worth about 13-17 +dmg on SW:P (dont know about mf/mb sadly). so the jindo offhand is good to reach hitcap if you have no other means to reach it. but you should replace it asap.
Alyndra
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

Return to Priest