What spec should i role?

Re: What spec should i role?

by Caarn » Mon Aug 24, 2015 7:12 pm

Here's the thing: choose the best spec for YOU. If you spec what you want you start to realize you fall into the spec thats best for you. Discover your class, dont play it according to a guide. That was part of the magic of vanilla, most of us didnt know a damn thing about what we were doing for a good few months.

There are so many different playstyles for Warlock and the real benefit of a Vanilla server is that you have the flexibility to design your own spec. Many locks in vanilla had hybrid builds, and they were all acceptable as long as the person knew how to play them.

Part of what sucks about retail wow these days is how cookie cutter it's become. The lack of differentiation made the entire player base have similar builds.

Back in my vanilla raiding days we had 6 raid locks that each had different specs. They all fulfilled a role and a function during raids. We all talked about the class and our specs, who was better for which roles, who would do which curses, and who currently had SS's up and learned a lot from each other, which informed some of our tweaks to builds. Heck, at some points we even factored DPS output of DoTs vs DD spells and figured out that dotting trash was a waste of mana based on the time it took to dps them down with the raid. It also forced us to optimize DPS output based on debuff limits.

Best thing I can suggest is to talk to other locks. You learn the most from other guys who play your class.
Caarn
Private
Private

by Bioness » Mon Aug 24, 2015 10:15 pm

They are "Cookie Cutter" builds for a reason, because those are the best builds for that particular need. The reason your locks "back in the day" had different builds was because they didn't know any better.

If there is a choice, there will always be a better one. So why not make the best choice?
Bioness
Knight-Lieutenant
Knight-Lieutenant

by koelkast » Tue Aug 25, 2015 5:52 pm

Numi wrote:If your voidwalker never runs oom while soloing you're farming poorly, it's super useful in solo play as the voidwalkers manapool will be the limit on how fast you can pull and a free full mana is worth a lot.

not quite, put torment on passive and ull never run oom, torment each mob twice manually by hotkey since ull loose aggro anyways after 6 seconds since ur dots and drainlife will have done too much damage. That way ur void hardly ever runs oom.

And @diogenes, yes I prefer raw dps over an ability that I use twice perhaps when lvling.
I had it before and because my void doesnt oom and saccing is still plenty powerfull in pvp u dont rly need that, I even had Master Summoner first but respecced since I never used it.

But to each his own playstyle I assume
koelkast
Grunt
Grunt

by Numi » Tue Aug 25, 2015 8:58 pm

koelkast wrote:
Numi wrote:If your voidwalker never runs oom while soloing you're farming poorly, it's super useful in solo play as the voidwalkers manapool will be the limit on how fast you can pull and a free full mana is worth a lot.

not quite, put torment on passive and ull never run oom, torment each mob twice manually by hotkey since ull loose aggro anyways after 6 seconds since ur dots and drainlife will have done too much damage. That way ur void hardly ever runs oom.

And @diogenes, yes I prefer raw dps over an ability that I use twice perhaps when lvling.
I had it before and because my void doesnt oom and saccing is still plenty powerfull in pvp u dont rly need that, I even had Master Summoner first but respecced since I never used it.

But to each his own playstyle I assume

This is how I grind when I have imp drain soul, broken down in to each "character", me and my void:

Voidwalker:
Pull mob 1,
cast "enough" torment (3-4 atm, depending on mob type)
pull mob2 right after the last torment is cast (<1 sec of mana reg),
cast 3-4 torment,
pull mob3.
etc.

Me:
Void pulls mob 1,
apply corr, agony and siphon life,
wand untill 2nd mob is pulled (2-3 sec after first torment for void aggro),
apply dots to second mob,
drain soul mob 1,
wand mob 2,
dot mob3,
drain soul mob2.
etc.

This basically becomes you fighting two mobs at once, but due to your insane regen because of your spirit gear and affi specc, you'll have no problems surviving that.
you can change wanding for drain life, but it's generally less effective, depending on rank of drain life and other factors such as resist rate and wand DPS.

This gives you a mob kill every ~20 seconds, with some breaks for void mana you'll easily reach 120-130 kills per hour, which as far as I know, no other class can match.
Numi
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

Previous

Return to Warlock