Alliance Warlock?

Alliance Warlock?

by Wolfrig » Wed Sep 23, 2015 8:38 pm

Hello all, I have a quick question.

Is it even worth rolling a warlock on Alliance, given that half of the horde are Undead with Will of the Forsaken?
Wolfrig
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

Re: Alliance Warlock?

by Botmaster5 » Wed Sep 23, 2015 8:56 pm

do you plan on only just PvPing? and furthermore, are you going to give up if you are 1/3 of the time 1 of your infinite fears can be broken once every couple minutes by a racial cooldown? if so, dont roll a warlock
<Titans of War> Xashe
"Behold those who have power, and who are not afraid to wield it. Behold... the warlocks!" - Gul'dan
Botmaster5
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

by Numi » Thu Sep 24, 2015 11:17 am

Wolfrig wrote:Hello all, I have a quick question.

Is it even worth rolling a warlock on Alliance, given that half of the horde are Undead with Will of the Forsaken?

I'm an Alliance warlock and I have to say, I'd much rather have paladins (blessing of freedom / protection), than have my fears never be broken.

Honestly, WotF is not as big of a deal for you personally as it sounds. Yes it does mean an ever so slight advantage, but if you play your warlock well, you'll negate that advantage. Especially as you're either a gnome or a human, both which have pretty good racials for warlocks (stealth detection or root / slow break).
Numi
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

by Aethelwulf » Thu Sep 24, 2015 12:40 pm

There's a thread about best Warlock race where we've gone more into detail about these sorts of things.

If you intend on PvEing it's not a problem. If you're on a PvP server though (which is presently the only Nostalrius server) expect to get ganked by undead Rogues at least. If you want to do battlegrounds and the like, expect your utility to be severely undercut by the fact that they will have both trinkets and racials to break your fears and seduce.

The Human perception racial is also overrated imo since you need to use it when an invisible Rogue is close to you but before he has attacked you. Unless you somehow know a Rogue is near, it's not going to help. And if you know an invisible Rogue is near, you could also just Hellfire to knock him out of stealth. With a Felhunter's Paranoia you might cast a decent detection radius though. If you want to play at being anti-Rogue radar you should gear Catseye Ultra Goggles on top of it. Humans are good for PvE though because of their Diplomacy easing ridiculous rep grinds.
Last edited by Aethelwulf on Thu Sep 24, 2015 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aethelwulf
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

by Wolfrig » Thu Sep 24, 2015 3:32 pm

Thank you all for your reply, I would like to ask another question concerning Shadow Bolt.

Why is it so expensive? I mean, it deals about the same dmg as Frostbolt, but costs 100 mana more, and also doesn't slow enemies. It also costs just a little bit less mana than Fireball, which deals 160 dmg more. Okay, fireball has longer cast, but still, as far as mana efficiency goes, Shadow Bolst is much less efficient than Frostbolt or Fireball.

Does anyone know why it's like that?
Wolfrig
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

by Botmaster5 » Thu Sep 24, 2015 3:36 pm

Wolfrig wrote:Does anyone know why it's like that?

we can lifetap
<Titans of War> Xashe
"Behold those who have power, and who are not afraid to wield it. Behold... the warlocks!" - Gul'dan
Botmaster5
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

by Trader » Thu Sep 24, 2015 4:23 pm

WoTf is stupidly overpowered for a racial IMO, it hard counters Warlocks like no other class, it would not even be THAT bad if not the fact that 80% of Horde rolled Undead FOR the racial... :roll:

Yes you can navigate around it, thank god WoTF does not break death coil.

But there is a very REAL reason that Alliance locks are way unrepesented overall and alot of it has to do with WoTF(imo).

I have a 60 ally lock, but if I had to start again or reroll I would choose Horde lock in less then a SECOND to not have to deal with WoTF EVER again.
Trader
Tester

by Aethelwulf » Thu Sep 24, 2015 5:53 pm

Wolfrig wrote:Thank you all for your reply, I would like to ask another question concerning Shadow Bolt.

Why is it so expensive? I mean, it deals about the same dmg as Frostbolt, but costs 100 mana more, and also doesn't slow enemies. It also costs just a little bit less mana than Fireball, which deals 160 dmg more. Okay, fireball has longer cast, but still, as far as mana efficiency goes, Shadow Bolst is much less efficient than Frostbolt or Fireball.

Part of it is Improved Shadow Bolt, I guess. Part of it is Life Tap (or Dark Pact). Mana is not an issue for Warlocks.
Aethelwulf
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

by Numi » Thu Sep 24, 2015 10:10 pm

Aethelwulf wrote:
Wolfrig wrote:Thank you all for your reply, I would like to ask another question concerning Shadow Bolt.

Part of it is Improved Shadow Bolt, I guess. Part of it is Life Tap (or Dark Pact). Mana is not an issue for Warlocks.

Kinda funny you're saying that right after going on a long rant about how wonderful WotF is. Either you're pretty new to pvp or you're running with a pocket healer, because having shadowbolt cost an extra 100 mana is a big deal versus mages, because you'll most likely be forced to lifetap before he's dead, while he gets to spam away.

I think the players saying alliance warlocks are shit, seriously haven't considered the advantages a paladin brings to BGs and other group based pvp events (which is 99.9% of the pvp you do).

Blessing of freedom and protection are such a huge deal in vanilla that I can't even imagine a more important spell.

The way premade vs premade fights are determined in most BGs I've played, has been mainly because one high value target (priest / fc / only warrior etc.)has been nuked and the losing team missing an important team member for the rest of the fight. You, as a warlock, has two objectives in these fights, CC as many as possible and nuke the designated high value target.

Now, what would you chose in a bg? A targeted immunity to physical damage, or the ability to break a fear on command? Pretty easy choice. Freedom is also a really powerful spell, as it allows you to kite all kinds of melee, all why your dot and fear chain is rapidly killing of another target.

Yes, alliance warlocks are slightly weaker in 1v1s, but on the other hand, paladins are so good that an alliance warlock will be better purely because his team will allow him to get in to situations that a horde warlock wouldn't survive.
Numi
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

by Aethelwulf » Thu Sep 24, 2015 11:03 pm

I was discussing Shadow Bolt more in PvE terms. Warlocks basically never run out of mana there. In PvP having to life tap an extra time can actually be a bit annoying as it burns a GCD to hurt yourself. Anyway, you deal with it. Or you can spec for Searing Pain if you hate mana issues so much.

And yes, Will of the Forsaken ruins an alliance Warlock in PvP. It counters all of a Warlock's crowd control and bestows temporary immunity while leaving the trinket around to break CC a second time. That's the simple truth of it. I also find it odd how you are complaining that I must be PvPing with a healer (seriously, Warlocks can heal themselves) while you keep praising the Alliance Warlock because he'll be PvPing with a Paladin. And everything a Paladin does for a Warlock, he would also do for a Mage, and Mages do not have all their CCs countered by WotF.
Aethelwulf
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

Next

Return to Warlock