Complete Druid BiS List for Resto, Bear, and Cat

Complete Druid BiS List for Resto, Bear, and Cat

by Taladril » Thu Aug 06, 2015 2:20 am

I have been frustrated in trying to find a good guide that lists out all of the gear that I need. And what I find isn't linked or is linked to updated wow stats (boo!). This is every item as I could find it from knowledgeable sources, linked to vanilla stats, and with location or sources mentioned completely and clearly. As a bonus, I added a complete fire resist set for if you want to tackle tanking Rag.

Druid Gear

Moonkin Gear Courtesy of TwinHeadedKraken

Just because an item is higher than another item does not guarantee optimization. Cat should be at but not above hit cap and bear should take into account diminishing returns on armor and perhaps switch to dodge if that happens.
Healing stats are based off of BWL 3 piece bonus optimization as well as Naxx. It is presumed that the 24/0/27 build is utilized for the Naxx numbers to be completely accurate.
As a last comment, this is a complete list with all items released and at 1.12 itemization.

Note that there may be errors and if you find them please comment below and I will fix the document as best as I can.
Last edited by Taladril on Fri Mar 04, 2016 9:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Officer of <Blacklisted>
Taladril
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Re: Complete Druid BiS List for Resto, Bear, and Cat

by TheNIF » Fri Aug 07, 2015 11:16 pm

Armor has no diminishing returns, or said more correctly, the usefulness of armor has no diminishing returns. It has a hard cap at 75% dmg reduction, but 500 armor more at 7000 armor and 12000 armor is equally useful. I know this sounds counter-intuitive but if you actually work out the math you'll see it. There's a good post on this on the official forums:
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/5149150485 (I know this is from diablo but the same principle applies in wow).

The real question on beartanking comes down to soak vs avoidance. Is it better to get another 100 hp, or another 1% dodge? It depends on how much hp you already have and the "worst case" scenario for taking double crits or maybe crushing-crit-crit chain. If you have enough hp to theoretically survive two consequtive crits and a crushing blow, the use from more HP drops off significantly and you should start focusing on avoidance to help healers out.
TheNIF
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

by Taladril » Sat Aug 08, 2015 12:56 am

Interesting post and from anecdotal experience I'd agree with it. It seems like more armor always has more of an effect on general survivability. And it is definitely accurate that at a certain level it would be important to balance some stats for others. At a certain point dodge would be more important than stam simply because you would have a big enough health pool for healers so the extra mitigation would be more useful.
Officer of <Blacklisted>
Taladril
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

by fish » Sat Aug 08, 2015 5:10 am

Good work! Appreicate it
fish
Sergeant
Sergeant

by The Shortest Path » Thu Aug 13, 2015 1:42 pm

Can I recommend that for Bear gear you separate "mitigation" into EHP and Avoidance? They're very, very different and needed for completely different kinds of fights, so the mitigation number doesn't really mean anything. Otherwise this guide is absolutely fantastic.
The Shortest Path
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

by Taladril » Thu Aug 13, 2015 6:24 pm

I'd be willing to separate them but I want to make sure I'm doing it right. The mitigation numbers were found online but I'd be able to derive the point values for each stat. As for what is EHP and what is Avoidance, is it:
EHP: Armor/Stam?
Avoidance: Dodge/Agi/Def?
I could see Def being partially EHP and Avoidance.
And for everyone's benefit, what fights would be good to keep in mind for different armor sets like this, in your opinion?
Last edited by Taladril on Thu Aug 13, 2015 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Officer of <Blacklisted>
Taladril
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

by Noxm » Thu Aug 13, 2015 6:47 pm

And Boomkins ? :)
Nostalrius PvP -
Noxm - <Core Raider of Emphasis>
Alt : Noxmk - Noxmq
Noxm
Knight-Lieutenant
Knight-Lieutenant

by Taladril » Thu Aug 13, 2015 7:58 pm

Taladril wrote:No, I didn't do balance, but if someone more knowledgable than me in it wants to compile a list, I will add it to my document and revise the post.
Officer of <Blacklisted>
Taladril
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

by Awkwardlol » Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:51 am

Kind of looks like you copy pasted the values of all the tanking gear from the wowwiki page, which isn't that great.
Awkwardlol
Sergeant
Sergeant

by Taladril » Fri Aug 14, 2015 8:42 pm

Yes I did copy those, but I'm not really sure where there is a better source of accuracy. Moreover just generally look at the order of the gear and I'd bet that you'd agree that, apart from a few outliers, the gear really is in an order of best to worst. A proper set of tank gear needs more than just armor and stam though, and that's why it's nice to see which stuff may sacrifice a little of those while increasing your dps potential a lot more, which of course gives more threat per second.
Right now I'm working through breaking up the stats into avoidance and mitigation, but if you think there's a problem with the accuracy of the numbers themselves, I would like to know how you would break it out.
Officer of <Blacklisted>
Taladril
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Next

Return to Druid