Hybrid Shaman PvP

Re: Hybrid Shaman PvP

by Jurary » Wed Sep 09, 2015 12:33 am

And NS lets you insta-cast GW. The shield bonus is okay, but it's just phys and you're making it sound like it's +5% dodge.

I don't think there'd ever be a realistic scenario where you would ns-gw, so that's a moot point. And if you did, you'd be sacrificing that selfheal you're hammering on constantly.

You only need maybe a tenth of a second (if you're slow) to NS+GHW yourself back up as resto. You can actually heal yourself mid-combo with NS.

You're not gonna heal yourself midcombo in a rogue opener cause it doesn't let you.
A mage can currently burst you down during a 4 sec blanket silence in which you can't heal.

I'm not gonna sit here and say NS is bad or worse than EW, but it's not worth giving up so much for.

I was def wrong on the math there, been awake too long to do any of that right now.
^Credits to Sheep @ ED
Jurary
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

by Aethelwulf » Wed Sep 09, 2015 3:35 am

Jurary wrote:I don't think there'd ever be a realistic scenario where you would ns-gw, so that's a moot point.

Warsong Gulch. It's also a perfectly good "screw this I'm outta here" option.

And if you did, you'd be sacrificing that selfheal you're hammering on constantly.

The point about NS isn't that it's a self-heal. It's that you can insta-cast whatever works best. NS is also better burst damage by adding an extra lightning.

You're not gonna heal yourself midcombo in a rogue opener cause it doesn't let you.

Honestly if a rogue can kill a shaman that easily I'm wondering if you're just undergeared. Do you not even have your PvP trinket?

A mage can currently burst you down during a 4 sec blanket silence in which you can't heal.

Didn't get grounded, no searing totem for the spellcasting pushback, no other totems, no warstomp, no auto to pushback, nothing to hide behind and break LoS, and not enough hp/resist to take it on the chin even with Tauren bonus?
Last edited by Aethelwulf on Wed Oct 07, 2015 4:01 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Aethelwulf
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

by Focusix » Mon Sep 28, 2015 7:06 pm

This is what i'm using, still 58 so -1 Tidal Mastery and Nature's Swiftness.

http://db.vanillagaming.org/?talent#hnbzAcMqZZVcIz0xo

- I don't use healing focus because Lesser Healing is really quick.
- More lightning range is good for me
- Elemental focus = free Chain Lightning
- Focus crit, because elemental shaman got THE burst
- Earthbind totem range works great, let me save shock cd for casters (silence)
Focusix
Private
Private

by Aethelwulf » Tue Sep 29, 2015 4:29 pm

In all honesty, 30/0/21 is the Ele build. I'd also recommend the one I linked over yours. LHW is indeed a short cast, but in PvP every second counts and with the right interrupts even LHW can become difficult to cast if you don't have interrupt resistance. I don't think getting +2 yds of Earthbind trumps mana or damage, not when you're going full Ele and using those totems to keep people away from you (ie. they have to walk through it, instead of walking away from it). Any pet class can easily inflict double interrupts and keep you off-balance with your spellcasting. Warlocks in particular would Curse of Tongues you and sick a pet on you for the damage interrupts while spamming damage in your face. Rogues dualwield and inflict mind-numbing poison. Hunters will throw a pet into your face and attack with their bow. Fury warriors will give you some trouble just with their dualwield. And sometimes people will even use minion-summoning items like Book of the Dead or Barov Peasant Caller to drive up interrupt rates because against people without interrupt resistance, it makes casting extremely difficult.

For Hybrid builds, I think 0/30/21 is the easiest one. Nature's Swiftness delivers not just instant Healing Wave but also burst damage, even from range as you can Chain Lightning NS Lightning Bolt for huge damage against a runner or just NS Chain Lightning for instant burst.
Aethelwulf
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

by deadward » Tue Sep 29, 2015 6:14 pm

This is what I've been toying with running.

Gear myself to be kind of all over the place. But have some range, but then be somewhat devastating upclose with the right windfury proc.

http://db.vanillagaming.org/?talent#hiczEcMsoxibzV

*edit. I might phase out storm reach for that better cast time on chain lighting and lightning bolt. So I could possibly cast imbetween swings
deadward
Sergeant
Sergeant

by Aethelwulf » Tue Sep 29, 2015 7:09 pm

That's similar to what I was contemplating just moments ago as a hybrid build and here's my variation.

You'll notice that I picked up 3/3 Elemental Devastation despite deriding it for being trash earlier in the thread. That's because with Elemental Mastery you can force Elemental Devastation to proc on demand and give you that +9% melee crit. That +9% melee crit in turn hopefully fuels your Flurry since you now have a +14% crit chance from talents alone. Reverberation and Lightning Mastery are both maxed out because they're too good to pass up on, however. Elemental Warding loses out because mana is more important to the Shaman. I'm concerned about the loss Elemental Focus poses, however and basically hoping the lowered mana costs, free cast from Elemental Mastery, and +5% mana from ancestral knowledge balances it out. Alternatively you could divert yet another point from Flurry into Elemental Focus, leaving you with just a 15% attack speed bonus.

I'd strongly recommend going Tauren Shaman because +5% health and War Stomp are too good to pass up on. War Stomp in particular is basically a smaller racial Nature's Swiftness since it doesn't GCD so you can cast a Lesser Healing Wave, Chain Lightning, or Lightning Bolt while they are stunned. With 2/2 Imp Ghost Wolf you could also use it to Ghost Wolf and run away. This also goes back to Elemental Devastation because with War Stomp you could easily Stomp someone into an Elemental Mastery Chain Lightning into beating face with your 2H. Otherwise transitioning into melee from a spell is going to be harder because typically casting in melee isn't the most successful idea.

In the event that you are trying to cast and getting horribly mobbed by pets and the like, you might want to consider using a /sit macro to force a crit and give yourself Eye of the Storm. It sounds dumb but if the interrupts are heavy enough you will be better off by getting to cast with Eye of the Storm.
Aethelwulf
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

Previous

Return to Shaman