Tankadin - Dungeon Tanking gear guide.

Re: Tankadin - Dungeon Tanking gear guide.

by Softarunt » Thu Mar 10, 2016 10:08 pm

Can a prot pally hold aggro in a raid with real dps? And no asking dps to wait more than about 1 second doesn't count
Softarunt
Sergeant
Sergeant

by Theloras » Thu Mar 10, 2016 10:18 pm

Softarunt wrote:Can a prot pally hold aggro in a raid with real dps? And no asking dps to wait more than about 1 second doesn't count

If they put up Judgement of Light, then yes absolutely:

Prot Paladin vs Prot Warrior single target threat debate...
https://forum.nostalrius.org/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=36230
Theloras
Knight-Lieutenant
Knight-Lieutenant

by Cysthen » Thu Mar 10, 2016 10:30 pm

JCarrill0 wrote:Cysthen,
While you 2 Swop out this debate, I think I have everything you listed... some for alternative yes, but again I think I have everything listed. Did I miss anything? (that basically was my original question)

Not going to bother replying to Duki as I have a hard time reading his text half the time, but yes you have everything listed. All is well in the world. Its fine.
Twitch Channel. - http://www.twitch.tv/cysthen
Nightninja <Pantheon> Melee Hunter.
Cysthen
Sergeant
Sergeant

by JCarrill0 » Fri Mar 11, 2016 1:36 pm

Softarunt wrote:Can a prot pally hold aggro in a raid with real dps? And no asking dps to wait more than about 1 second doesn't count

It's a bit off topic but yeah. If you want to discuss it further make a thread about it.
JCarrillo - Highlord of <Heroes of Terenas>
JCarrill0
Stone Guard
Stone Guard

by Softarunt » Fri Mar 11, 2016 3:19 pm

Duki led me here sorry =P
Softarunt
Sergeant
Sergeant

by TheFishyOne » Sat Mar 12, 2016 3:15 am

Speaking of Duki, I have a question for you, JC.

As you may know, Duki has been mentoring on my quest to realize my Vanilla Dream and be a Maintankadin. Last night, I successfully MT'd Hakkar for the first time. Granted, the OT didn't know the Pally specific strat, so the kill was a bit sloppy, but it was still a kill. After this attempt (last time, I was using a "Tank" weapon and lost aggro immediately), any doubts I still had about the necessity for a spelldmg weapon are gone.

That said, Hakkar hits like a little girl. On fights where the mobs hit like men, or on big silge pulls (like snakes and spiders), I went down like a drunken date on Prom night. I DID manage to successfully tank the raptor on Mandokir (long enough for Mandokir to die so the War could taunt him when I died), I'm pretty sure the experience taught the Healers a new meaning for the phrase "close call." My RealmPlayers link is as follows:

http://realmplayers.com/CharacterViewer ... er=Geofram

I have since replaced the Ony ring with the other ZG tank ring, so my Defense in 397, atm. Duki has advised me against further raid tanking until I reach crit cap. Duki has given me some recommendations for gear to farm, but without my quest belt from BRD, it will not be enough to crit cap me. My questions for you are as follows:

1. Duki has recommended that I get Deathbone chest and boots, the bracers of Warlock epic mount quest boss, the trinket from that big ass quest chain in the Blsted Lands, Stockade Pauldrons, and a pair of rings off the dragons in ST, which would bring me up to 428 Def if I got it all. 3 Core Armor Kits + a Wrist enchant would get me to exactly 440, but I would rather not waste those chant slots if I can help it. Do you know of any good Def gear for any other slots besides the ones mentions that might save me from a Core Armor Kit or two?
2. I so want a full set of Deathbone Armor. Looking like an Old Naxx DK would rule, but the current stats are kind of assworthy. I know they eventually get upgraded to Blue quality as well as a reitemization, but I don't know when that happens. Do you?

Thanks in advance!

P.S. Softarunt, I MT'd Hakkar last nigh as a Prot Pally, and had complete aggro until after the 2nd MC. If my OT had known how to do this with a Pallytank (he didn't), it would have been smoother than butter. It can be done. That said, I had a spelldmg weapon with a +30 spelldmg chant, Greater Arcane Elixir, and Brilliant Wizzy Oil, as well as Greater Agility, Greater Intellect, Major Manas. Dark Runes, buff food, and rum. All the Prot War had was buff food and rum. Like Cysthen says in his guide, you have to be VERY dedicated to even have a chance of making this work.
TheFishyOne
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

by Cysthen » Sat Mar 12, 2016 2:40 pm

TheFishyOne wrote:Speaking of Duki, I have a question for you, JC.

As you may know, Duki has been mentoring on my quest to realize my Vanilla Dream and be a Maintankadin. Last night, I successfully MT'd Hakkar for the first time. Granted, the OT didn't know the Pally specific strat, so the kill was a bit sloppy, but it was still a kill. After this attempt (last time, I was using a "Tank" weapon and lost aggro immediately), any doubts I still had about the necessity for a spelldmg weapon are gone.

That said, Hakkar hits like a little girl. On fights where the mobs hit like men, or on big silge pulls (like snakes and spiders), I went down like a drunken date on Prom night. I DID manage to successfully tank the raptor on Mandokir (long enough for Mandokir to die so the War could taunt him when I died), I'm pretty sure the experience taught the Healers a new meaning for the phrase "close call." My RealmPlayers link is as follows:

I have since replaced the Ony ring with the other ZG tank ring, so my Defense in 397, atm. Duki has advised me against further raid tanking until I reach crit cap. Duki has given me some recommendations for gear to farm, but without my quest belt from BRD, it will not be enough to crit cap me. My questions for you are as follows:

1. Duki has recommended that I get Deathbone chest and boots, the bracers of Warlock epic mount quest boss, the trinket from that big ass quest chain in the Blsted Lands, Stockade Pauldrons, and a pair of rings off the dragons in ST, which would bring me up to 428 Def if I got it all. 3 Core Armor Kits + a Wrist enchant would get me to exactly 440, but I would rather not waste those chant slots if I can help it. Do you know of any good Def gear for any other slots besides the ones mentions that might save me from a Core Armor Kit or two?
2. I so want a full set of Deathbone Armor. Looking like an Old Naxx DK would rule, but the current stats are kind of assworthy. I know they eventually get upgraded to Blue quality as well as a reitemization, but I don't know when that happens. Do you?

Thanks in advance!

P.S. Softarunt, I MT'd Hakkar last nigh as a Prot Pally, and had complete aggro until after the 2nd MC. If my OT had known how to do this with a Pallytank (he didn't), it would have been smoother than butter. It can be done. That said, I had a spelldmg weapon with a +30 spelldmg chant, Greater Arcane Elixir, and Brilliant Wizzy Oil, as well as Greater Agility, Greater Intellect, Major Manas. Dark Runes, buff food, and rum. All the Prot War had was buff food and rum. Like Cysthen says in his guide, you have to be VERY dedicated to even have a chance of making this work.

Assuming you have seen my guide and my preraid bis, you already know my opinion on what I just read.

Edit: You don't need defense cap at all to tank raids, you will automatically get it if your raiding with a guild past aq40 via obtaining styleens/armament shield.

Edit: Just wear good gear instead of all that crap shit.
Twitch Channel. - http://www.twitch.tv/cysthen
Nightninja <Pantheon> Melee Hunter.
Cysthen
Sergeant
Sergeant

by TheFishyOne » Sat Mar 12, 2016 3:16 pm

Cysthen, it was your guide that inspired me to try vanilla Pallytanking. It is an honor to finally talk to you.

I have indeed read your guide, but I go by JC's BiS list here, as much of the gear on your list doesn't yet drop here. The general theme I see from your preraid list is that you seem to favor avoidance and stam over stacking Def. That about right?

Also, I have started using a spelldmg threat weapon all the time here, due to the macros you listed in your guide not seeming to work here (yes, I have the required addon installed). How do you handle swapping between Threat and Tank weapons here?
TheFishyOne
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

by smilkovpetko » Sat Mar 12, 2016 3:17 pm

Cysthen wrote:
TheFishyOne wrote:Speaking of Duki, I have a question for you, JC.

Thanks in advance!

Assuming you have seen my guide and my preraid bis, you already know my opinion on what I just read.

Edit: You don't need defense cap at all to tank raids, you will automatically get it if your raiding with a guild past aq40 via obtaining styleens/armament shield.

Edit: Just wear good gear instead of all that crap shit.

and you did tank raid Bosses without def cap in bwl or you was only adds/trash tank?

from what i have seen cystheen did tank only 20 mans and molten core bosses without def cap, but he was terrible on threats for broodlord (where in bwl boss fights he was already def cap). (reading from his 1st few pages comments by some people that raid with him).

Did Cystheen Tank Twins and Naxx Bosses like maexxna,patchwerk and thaddius ?
Last edited by smilkovpetko on Sat Mar 12, 2016 5:50 pm, edited 3 times in total.
/Wisdom is Priority
/Activity is Skill
/Skill is gear
smilkovpetko
Legionnaire
Legionnaire

by smilkovpetko » Sat Mar 12, 2016 3:24 pm

How do you handle swapping between Threat and Tank weapons here?

In feenix you had straight 100-120 damage from consecration , when cystheen was tanking it scaled with attack power too which would gone beyond 150 damage (in nost current patch as tank you wont get that close) , seal of righteousness there did tons of damage without spell damage and judgement of righteousness didn't get resisted neither got damage reduce by partial resists level based.

that's how he used to tank there, so he would weapon swap to pop consecration and switch back to def weapon.

keep in mind in feenix you would use juju for more intellect, use int scroll etc so your mana would been too high compare to nost so you could spam more aoe's.

that guide doesn't match in nostalrius sadly (with exception of attack power consecration which is still lower here than peenix pre merge) but regardless mana,sor,jor etc it won't work here.

another thing in feenix is that 20 man raid Bosses and molten core there didn't hit properly like they do in nostalrius.

and last at very least cystheen guide is for trash tanking but not good for Boss tanking, watching his threats by his videos from Ossirian where dps had to do too low dmg and stop dps in order for him to make threats enough.

unlike that , in nostalrius nobody will respect if you "call them to stop dps" only to build up your threats , which is imo bad idea .
Last edited by smilkovpetko on Sat Mar 12, 2016 5:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
/Wisdom is Priority
/Activity is Skill
/Skill is gear
smilkovpetko
Legionnaire
Legionnaire

PreviousNext

Return to Paladin