Paladin viable classes

Paladin viable classes

by matisa1998 » Sun Apr 03, 2016 2:31 pm

Hi , I was thinking about rolling paladin and i heard that only holy pally is viable is that true or am I wrong ?
matisa1998
Tester

Re: Paladin viable classes

by Heglamore » Sun Apr 03, 2016 5:47 pm

matisa1998 wrote:Hi , I was thinking about rolling paladin and i heard that only holy pally is viable is that true or am I wrong ?

Viable is an odd term used incorrectly on the server. Basically, a retribution paladin who is at the top of his game with consumables, will do damage comparable to a mage who is being lazy today; however one special note is:

There is a paladin, whom in full AQ spell-damage gear, in retail, was doing damage comparable to mages while fighting undead in Naxxramas, although the fact that they were undead was actually of only minimal benefit (as you can see when his exorcism goes on cooldown, and does very little damage compared to his huge auto attack swings and Seal of Command) -- the damage he did with the flask, and having both Physical and Magical potion consumables was absolutely staggering.

This doesn't mean that a ret paladin cannot be useful in a raid (many bring one ret paladin or enhancement shaman just for a weapon called 'Nightfall' -- though a Nightfall paladin will NEVER do competitive damage because it's a weak weapon that is more useful to the raid then it is to the paladin. He's there to help the raid do more damage.)

It's more like this: If you have a geared out retribution paladin? Bring him before you bring a rogue in greens. If you line up a retribution paladin with bad-ass epics next to a rogue or fury warrior who have bad-ass epics? That paladin is going to need to bring a Nightfall to be worth bringing to the raid over another class.
"you re ev il AND i kill y o u" - Malachie, Talking in 'Orc Gibberish'
Heglamore
Sergeant
Sergeant

by Dr. Doom » Mon Apr 04, 2016 3:33 am

There are paladins with every spec raiding (well, don't know for pvp things like reckoning). Protection and retribution alike.

However, only holy paladins are actively recruited by guilds, and for non holy paladins you will have to consistently fight for your raid spot. Only some guilds will give you a shot at all.

Essentially that's it.
Dr. Doom
Knight-Lieutenant
Knight-Lieutenant

by JCarrill0 » Mon Apr 04, 2016 7:09 pm

matisa1998 wrote:Hi , I was thinking about rolling paladin and i heard that only holy pally is viable is that true or am I wrong ?

Any Talent Build is viable if the player put the effort into it. gear itemization for sets are focused around Healing, the AQ set is focused around DPS, but again, Tier sets 1/2/3 are focused around healing.

Keep in mind these sets are not BiS for healing, many paladins use mail/leather/cloth to maximize the healing effectiveness, so again it goes right back to... "Any Talent Build is viable if the player put the effort into it."
JCarrillo - Highlord of <Heroes of Terenas>
JCarrill0
Stone Guard
Stone Guard

Return to Paladin