Is AoE leveling really that great?

Is AoE leveling really that great?

by Forteski » Fri Jun 12, 2015 2:57 pm

Everyone seems to like mentioning it for leveling a mage, but it seems like something that wouldn't be very practical on this server. It's a pvp server with a lot of players and a mage that is trying to AoE groups down is a very juicy target to gank. Then you could just run into another mage also trying to AoE farm and there aren't that many spots you can use considering the conditions that must be met for AoE grinding. Also if it's your first time leveling a character on the server, needing to buy stam/int gear would set back your mount fund.
Forteski
Tester

Re: Is AoE leveling really that great?

by PanTheSatyr » Fri Jun 12, 2015 4:34 pm

I used the technique a few times while questing and in one grinding session, but I didn't grind for days and days. It's a neat ability but not one I relied solely upon for leveling.
PvP Realm
Malachic - Lv 60 Mage (Frost)
Malapriest - Lv 60 Priest (Heals)
Malahunt - Lv 60 Hunter (Bang/Twang)

♫ Dance with Pan and Drink with Bacchus! ♫
PanTheSatyr
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

by ShaqPack » Fri Jun 12, 2015 8:25 pm

Going full frost while leveling is your best bet but you won't find many opportunities to actually aoe farm. Most of the good spots generally have people there already (usually just questing), and if someone else is in the same spot tagging mobs, the technique becomes a lot less effective. Also, frost aoe usually involves skipping frostbite, as it will split up packs and make your blizzard essentially not hit all of the enemy units, but on the flip side, the frost bite talent is one of the best for just questing as well as for soloing elites. That being said, it won't hurt to try it I suppose, but you'd probably be better off just going a regular single target spec. On a less populated server, it could be better tho.
ShaqPack
Sergeant
Sergeant

by Lindow » Fri Jun 12, 2015 11:38 pm

Yeah, I don't think it's worth it for leveling. A mage can level efficiently using any spec. I've been speccing the PvE Arcane Frost build since the beginning and I haven't even missed frostbite.
Lindow
Grunt
Grunt

by Eligius » Sun Oct 04, 2015 4:48 pm

I did 35-60 by aoe leveling
it took me like 3 days, and by level 60 I had 1600g
Eligius
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

by flowison » Tue Oct 06, 2015 3:28 pm

Eligius wrote:I did 35-60 by aoe leveling
it took me like 3 days, and by level 60 I had 1600g

spots?
flowison
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

by Lowtwo » Tue Oct 06, 2015 3:58 pm

35-60 in 3 days played I think he means because there is no way you can do it any faster.

I did aoe from 24 till 42ish and then went back to questing. On average i did 2.5-3h a lvl that way. Haven't had a single spot I was alone at for more then 15 minutes and can't tell the huge amounts I had to leave due to overfarm or ganking.

Now I'm questing for 5 levels and I average about 2h a lvl with alot more ease.

I wouldn't let the potential gold lead you because unless you get some decent drops the gold income isn't all that great. Right now I'm at lvl 47 on nearly 90g and I skipped alot of skills I didn't need for leveling.

Dunno what Eligius did but it sounds way better then it eventually turns out to be I bet...
Lowtwo
Grunt
Grunt

by Eligius » Wed Oct 07, 2015 6:14 pm

I did elementals in badlands, then undeads in western plaguelands, then at level 52 dm east.. most of the gold came from DM
Eligius
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

by buczech » Thu Oct 08, 2015 6:35 am

Anyone noticed some wierd active aggro ranges? It also makes that less effective in zones with spreaded pulls. Like sometimes i need to run over 100 yards to reset aggro, but sometimes they just reset after 40 yard distance (it's just few steps over the range of frostbolt with arctic reach).
Wierd is that it's not happening when you run away, they are still running to you and once they nearly reach you ,they just reset. It happens atleast in one out of 5 pulls.
buczech
Grunt
Grunt

by idoril » Thu Oct 08, 2015 8:32 am

Does anybody know the scaling of Blizzard that comes off + Frostdmg spellpower?
I have a level 23 mage with roughly +20 Spelldmg and it doesnt seem to improve the Blizzard dmg which does 25 damage per tick.
I am thinking of just stacking int and stamina...
idoril
Grunt
Grunt

Next

Return to Mage