[Theorycraft] Calculating frostbolt damage exactly

Re: [Theorycraft] Calculating frostbolt damage exactly

by Emander » Mon Mar 07, 2016 3:04 pm

there is level-based resistance, and then theres mob-specific resistances.

all monsters of same level have the same level-resistance, this is relative to the players level when casting. level-resistance cannot be reduced in any way.

mob-specific resistance vary from monster to monster. Most monsters dont have any at all. raid bosses have varying amounts of specific resistances, and things like curse of elements, and spell penetration will reduce this.

for a lvl 60 character casting on a lvl 63 boss, the level-resistance equates to about 6% average loss of damage. binary spells (frostbolt for example) ignore level-resistance, so it is possible to end up with 1% chance to miss when fully hit-capped.
A fireball (non-binary spell) will end up with 1% miss chance when capped, but then a portion of the damage (6%) will be lost through partial resists, even if the boss has 0 resistance (it still has level resistance).

theres already several calculators lying around, i can recommend this one Spelldamage Calculators by Ayz
Emander
Private
Private

by Puny » Mon Mar 14, 2016 1:51 pm

I've made a similar thing:
http://torde.gillamaten.se/wow/

My guideline on spell penetration has been this formula:
Code: Select all
avgresist = (target_resistance - min(target_resistance, spell_penetration) + 15) / 300 * 0.75

Where 15 is the level gap resistance which cannot be penetrated. I've seen some of you mention that this number should be 24, which one is correct?

Also, by this measurement, each 10 points of spell penetration isnt a flat 2.5% increase, which kind of makes sense. The more resistance you have, the more effective it gets. 200 resistance ~= 50% damage reduced; 300 resistance ~= 75% damage reduced, meaning that the last 100 resistance has doubled the effect.

Also, thanks for the info on slowing effects having a 5% penalty, I had no idea about that.
Puny
Tester

by Breesy » Mon Mar 14, 2016 2:37 pm

You nerds overthink this way too much, you have one ability in vanilla wow, press it.
Breesy
Sergeant
Sergeant

by Puny » Mon Mar 14, 2016 2:58 pm

We're having fun with theorycrafting, what's wrong with that? Go mind your own business if you can't say anything constructive.

In return of your flame, here's an extremely amusing screenshot

Puny
Tester

by Breesy » Mon Mar 14, 2016 3:22 pm

Do you take a screenshot of every encounter with other players or just the ones you're happy that acknowledged your puny existence?
Breesy
Sergeant
Sergeant

by Puny » Mon Mar 14, 2016 3:35 pm

It's not my screenshot but I had a really good laugh from it. Thank you for your contribution!
Puny
Tester

by Ana » Tue Mar 15, 2016 7:55 am

So... who is he?
Ana
Stone Guard
Stone Guard

by Pizzashoes » Tue Mar 15, 2016 10:21 am

http://realmplayers.com/CharacterViewer ... &itemset=2

He's got a lot of number 1 mage dps spots, which makes sense considering his gear/guild/faction. I can't say for certain he's using this setup on bosses, but it's not optimal. And that's silly for someone filled with such contempt for his fellow mages.

But yeah, like I was saying months ago. Who could resist using calculus for the stat weights when the frostbolt damage equation just begs for it? Come on Sumail, you know you want to.
Pizzashoes
Private
Private

by TomDeBaere » Tue Mar 22, 2016 3:27 pm

Pizzashoes wrote:http://realmplayers.com/CharacterViewer.aspx?realm=NRB&player=Breeze&itemset=2
He's got a lot of number 1 mage dps spots, which makes sense considering his gear/guild/faction. I can't say for certain he's using this setup on bosses, but it's not optimal. And that's silly for someone filled with such contempt for his fellow mages.

Ofcourse he has that mad dps cause the fights only last 30 seconds or less :p
TomDeBaere
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

by Youfie » Tue Mar 22, 2016 3:39 pm

Puny wrote:I've made a similar thing:
http://torde.gillamaten.se/wow/

My guideline on spell penetration has been this formula:
Code: Select all
avgresist = (target_resistance - min(target_resistance, spell_penetration) + 15) / 300 * 0.75

Where 15 is the level gap resistance which cannot be penetrated. I've seen some of you mention that this number should be 24, which one is correct?

Also, by this measurement, each 10 points of spell penetration isnt a flat 2.5% increase, which kind of makes sense. The more resistance you have, the more effective it gets. 200 resistance ~= 50% damage reduced; 300 resistance ~= 75% damage reduced, meaning that the last 100 resistance has doubled the effect.

Also, thanks for the info on slowing effects having a 5% penalty, I had no idea about that.

From what I remember from Nostalrius Beta and all, when Devs discussed fairly often with players the scripts and sources to be used, 24 innate resistance was the value used, i.e. 2% average mitigation per level, 6% versus a Boss. This value scales in a linear way, just like resistances in general do, and a level 30 player attacking a 33 Monster would get 12 non-removable / innate / level-based / whatever you call it Resistances, resulting in 6% overall mitigation aswell, and so on.

Unless the Nostalrius staff changed it (which I see no reason why), this is how it used to work in Beta and should be as of today on Nostalrius.
Youfie
Knight-Lieutenant
Knight-Lieutenant

PreviousNext

Return to Mage