8/8 set t2 bonus,is it worth it?

8/8 set t2 bonus,is it worth it?

by bdc » Sun Mar 20, 2016 2:59 pm

Yesterday i tried out the 8 set and noticed that i was doing good dps if i got a couple of procs going,and this is without zg enchants.Has anyone done the math and should i invest in the 2 zg enchants?
Also netherwind is getting buffs across the board in the next patch so will it be bis then?
Bdc-60 mage
Tootanky-60 warrior
bdc
Private
Private

Re: 8/8 set t2 bonus,is it worth it?

by vinceyoung » Sun Mar 20, 2016 5:00 pm

Not worth it imo. The proc basically just reduces the cast time of frostbolt by 1 second (Still have to wait after the 1.5 sec GCD). It's definitely not going to be BIS when it gets buffed next patch since the set lacks crit compared to the off pieces and has 0 spell hit. Here's just a list of items I'd use over t2, most of these items shouldn't be too hard to obtain if you already have 8/8 t2 (rockfury isn't in the game but should be relatively easy to get next patch).

Mish'undare > T2 helm (2% crit 3 sp more)
Mantle of the Blackwing Cabal > T2 Shoudlers (13 more sp)
Bloodvine Chest > T2 Chest (5 sp and 1% crit vs 2% hit on bloodvine)
Rockfury Bracers > T2 Bracers (8 sp 1% hit more)
T2 Gloves are actually good so I won't compare them to anything (only thing better would be cthun gloves)
Mana Igniting Cord > T2 belt (2 sp 1% crit more)
Bloodvine Legs > T2 Legs (7 sp trade 1% crit for 1% hit)
Bloodvine Boots > T2 boots (1% hit vs 8 sp)

So assuming you are a tailor and have the items above you basically lose 3% crit 36 sp 5% hit but you gain the T2 set bonus.
Also I ignored the stats so I guess you can consider that if you think you still want to make this trade off, I'm guessing T2 will come out ahead in terms of stats.
vinceyoung
Sergeant
Sergeant

by Tfinger » Mon Mar 21, 2016 4:20 pm

vinceyoung wrote:Not worth it imo. The proc basically just reduces the cast time of frostbolt by 1 second (Still have to wait after the 1.5 sec GCD). It's definitely not going to be BIS when it gets buffed next patch since the set lacks crit compared to the off pieces and has 0 spell hit. Here's just a list of items I'd use over t2, most of these items shouldn't be too hard to obtain if you already have 8/8 t2 (rockfury isn't in the game but should be relatively easy to get next patch).

T2 Gloves are actually good so I won't compare them to anything (only thing better would be cthun gloves)

So assuming you are a tailor and have the items above you basically lose 3% crit 36 sp 5% hit but you gain the T2 set bonus.
Also I ignored the stats so I guess you can consider that if you think you still want to make this trade off, I'm guessing T2 will come out ahead in terms of stats.

One thing to point out here is you don't actually lose that much crit due to the significant int that the t2 gear has

The huge hit loss is deffinitely an issue though
Tfinger
Grunt
Grunt

by sumail » Mon Mar 21, 2016 5:21 pm

One way you can check if it makes sense to use 8/8 is just calculate the difference in DPS between using 8/8 or your other items.

It'll just be average damage per cast / cast time. Cast time for frostbolt is 2.5, but with 8/8 it's 2.5*0.90 + 1.5*0.10 (ie 10% of the time your cast time we be 1.5 due to GCD otherwise it's 2.5 as usual).

Average damage per cast for frostbolt = (455+0.814*Spellpower)(0.83+hit%)(1+crit%)

DPS for 8/8 would be: (455+0.814*Spellpower)(0.83+hit%)(1+crit%)/(2.5*0.90+1.5*0.10)

DPS for non-8/8 would be: (455+0.814*Spellpower)*(0.83+hit%)*(1+crit%)/2.5

Obviously Spellpower/hit%/crit% will be different for the two sets. Use that set that gives you the most DPS. Doing the math you can see that 8/8 really doesn't give enough to over come the lack of spellpower/hit/crit it has compared to using non tier items you can verify that using these equations.
sumail
Grunt
Grunt

by Impsie » Mon Mar 21, 2016 5:52 pm

It's nice for instant Flamestrikes, but that's about it. You lose far too much Hit for the bonus to make up for it. A Bloodvine mage will always out-DPS you.
Impsie
Sergeant
Sergeant

by bdc » Tue Mar 22, 2016 8:07 pm

vinceyoung wrote:Not worth it imo. The proc basically just reduces the cast time of frostbolt by 1 second (Still have to wait after the 1.5 sec GCD). It's definitely not going to be BIS when it gets buffed next patch since the set lacks crit compared to the off pieces and has 0 spell hit. Here's just a list of items I'd use over t2, most of these items shouldn't be too hard to obtain if you already have 8/8 t2 (rockfury isn't in the game but should be relatively easy to get next patch).

I have most of those items(missing shoulders and Mana Igniting(have Firemaws instead).The set bonus is something i tried for fun and i was wondering if it could work and should i bother using 2 zg enchants on the items
Bdc-60 mage
Tootanky-60 warrior
bdc
Private
Private

Return to Mage