arcane missiles can't be canceled by running out of range

Re: arcane missiles can't be canceled by running out of rang

by auk » Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:30 pm

wolfqueen wrote:It's like that since the early days of retail and I'm pretty sure it's still the same on retail, I can log-in my mage and check it if you want. The whole concept behind AM is to follow the target after it's been cast, to break vanish, follow the target behind LoS and not getting restricted by range. After you cast it they will land unless resisted or interrupted.

also LMAO what the fuck are you smoking. vanish always broke AM. yes it does channel through walls. i haven't played retail in a long time but i know it broke on range in TBC so i'd be surprised if they reverted it...
auk
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

by Momoh » Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:36 pm

It's not working properly for sure, it is meant to cut off as soon as the target is too far away and should cancel the remaining channeled cast, but right now it disregards the range and continues to cast the entire full cast.

In regards to it firing through LoS, it is legitimate to have it channel through LoS, but you need to be in LoS to start the spell, but after the target goes to LoS it should carry on regardless. This part of the spell has always worked like this.
Melodyx
Momoh
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

by Emander » Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:07 pm

Momoh wrote:it is meant to cut off as soon as the target is too far away and should cancel the remaining channeled cast

you are incorrect

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNYswLPteqo
Emander
Private
Private

by auk » Sat Mar 28, 2015 1:33 am

that video isn't nearly enough proof for me.

clearly it cancels at some range because it'll cancel if you spam am on a hearthstoning bubbled paladin.

like most spells there's a grace period before it cancels. for example, if a target is in range for fireball and then walks out of range while you're casting, the spell won't cancel right away. so you can release a fireball and still be out of range to cast another one. i would imagine it's the same thing for channels but i'm fairly sure if you get far enough away it should cancel.

again, my experience with mage is TBC so i suppose i could be wrong. don't think so though.
auk
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

by Goodtry » Sat Mar 28, 2015 4:52 pm

auk wrote:that video isn't nearly enough proof for me.

clearly it cancels at some range because it'll cancel if you spam am on a hearthstoning bubbled paladin.

like most spells there's a grace period before it cancels. for example, if a target is in range for fireball and then walks out of range while you're casting, the spell won't cancel right away. so you can release a fireball and still be out of range to cast another one. i would imagine it's the same thing for channels but i'm fairly sure if you get far enough away it should cancel.

again, my experience with mage is TBC so i suppose i could be wrong. don't think so though.

I remember pretty much this from vanilla, definitely was never infinite range. Idea was, If a target is running away and you don't think you can get a cast off, Arcane Missiles is your best bet to do at least some damage.
Goodtry
Grunt
Grunt

by CIrax » Tue Mar 31, 2015 12:36 am

I played a mage in vanilla and 2 things that got brought up..

1.) It had no range if you casted it while the target was in casting range and then decided to run out of the typical casting range. Every bolt would hit the target. This got changed before TBC came out. After a Google search to get exact information: http://vanilla-wow.wikia.com/wiki/Arcane_Missiles (Patch 1.8)

2.) Arcane Missiles and LoS. If you casted them and the target decided to jump behind an object out of LoS it would still finish it's cast.
CIrax
Tester

by gamerspt » Sun Apr 12, 2015 8:26 pm

I played in vanilla and Arcane Missiles did indeed follow targets who left your range. It didn't get fixed until later.
gamerspt
Grunt
Grunt

by Lobsang » Tue Apr 14, 2015 8:45 am

CIrax wrote:I played a mage in vanilla and 2 things that got brought up..

1.) It had no range if you casted it while the target was in casting range and then decided to run out of the typical casting range. Every bolt would hit the target. This got changed before TBC came out. After a Google search to get exact information: http://vanilla-wow.wikia.com/wiki/Arcane_Missiles (Patch 1.8)

You might want to read the patchnotes again:
Patch 1.8: Arcane Missiles - Should now properly report the correct "out of range" indicator on the action bar.

This is just about the range indicator on the action bar, nothing to do with the mechanic of the missiles following the target when out of range once the spell got successfully started.

Watch this Vurtne PvP movie:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmHNfqaM-HA

At around 19:26 Vurtne's target tries running away, Vurtne simply starts casting Arcane Missiles, getting the final hit although the target is clearly out of range after the first few ticks.
Lobsang
Tester

by Xylon666Darkstar » Mon Apr 20, 2015 5:45 pm

Can confirm for a definite fact AM continued to cast/track even after moving well out of range, during retail Vanilla, up until TBC.

And I exclusively played warr.
Xylon666Darkstar
Knight-Lieutenant
Knight-Lieutenant

by Nyarko » Mon Apr 20, 2015 6:12 pm

AM should cancel after a long distance. This isnt working "perfectly" atm.
i didnt even watch the links proving AM shouldnt be canceled but i'm sure it's like :
-mount 60 starting to going away from the limit range of cast
-mount 100% starting to going away from you.

This is aproximatively the average range up AM can be casted to.

In the case of mount 100% starting going away from the limite range of cast, the AM should be interrupted after a long distance because of out of range.

Btw did you notice some pb recently with AM not even starting to cast and consume mana on certain mobs?
<Phoenix>
Nyarko
Sergeant
Sergeant

PreviousNext

Return to Mage