A list of possible bugs

We are always open to new ideas. Come here if you have a suggestion, we will discuss it together.

A list of possible bugs

by Thrashing » Tue Dec 02, 2014 9:23 pm

< Disclaimer: These are bugs I encountered on different private server projects, not on Nostalrius! >

Hello Nostalrius staff and (future) players!

As someone who has played on many different projects and witnessed the start of many different servers, I've encountered numerous severe bugs on other projects that harm the server's economy, activity, you name it.
Because I obviously do not want the same to occur on Nostalrius, I'll be making a list of bugs big and small that are often not fixed on many projects, and generally aren't impressive enough to release video footage of.

Please forgive me if I state bugs that are already fixed on Nostalrius, for I have not played any beta versions and do not have a crystal clear memory of the released youtube videos.
If anyone can clarify wether or not some, or all, of these bugs have been fixed, that would be great.

Player vs. Enviroment:

- World chests having a ~5 minute respawn timer.
World chests, such as Battered or Solid chests, often have a very short respawn timer on other projects. In many cases the respawn being around 5 minutes, instead of the 2 hour (?) respawn they had on Blizzard's servers. Seeing as chests tend to drop green items, grey weapons and an occasional recipe, this can lead to abuse of the respawn mechanic to farm high-level chests for over 100g an hour.

- Containers in instances respawning or having a short timer.
Notably the Blackrock Depths coffer room and Stratholme crates are often farmed for the same reason as the world chests, as with a faulty respawn or no limit to resetting instances, they generate a lot of gold per hour. I'm personally unaware of the way these containers functioned on Blizzard's servers, but on many other projects these are heavily exploitable.

- Spell damage & Healing wands and X Cloak of Proviciency
On retail there used to be high-level wand drops with spell damage up to 21 and healing up to 33. However these wands were unable to drop after a certain patch. Projects usually have these wands dropping anyway, however, regardless of trying to emulate patch 1.12. Nostalrius might find it in their best interest to allow these items to drop up until a certain point, like Blizzard did, however it is something to keep in mind.
Items called “Adventurer's Cloak of Proviciency” and “Mighty Cloak of Proviciency” also exist on other projects. These cloaks both require level 55 to wear and grant +6 Mace Skill. As far as I'm aware, suffixes such as these existed in beta versions of World of Warcraft, but never made it into the game. They are not supposed to be able to obtained.

- Unlimited instance resets.

I believe I saw or read somewhere that Nostalrius fixed this, but in my personal opinion it's important enough to add it regardless. Instance resets should be limited to 5 (?) per hour. A very popular exploit is to enter an instance such as Dire Maul East and AoE down a single pack inside the instance, loot it, then log out to the entrance of the instance and reset it.

- Spawned mobs giving Exp.
Low-HP mobs that spawn from killing other mobs (such as: zombies in WPL, silithid in Tanaris, silithid in The Barrens) often are the same level as the mobs that they spawn from, and give full Exp because of it. This can cause people powerleveling very easily off of these mobs.
Another probable bug is the “Jungle Fever” quest in Stranglethorn Vale, where you have to turn in Gorilla Fangs to spawn a few wave of mobs and later a boss. It has occured that these mobs could be spawned infinitely, then easily AoEd down due to the quest being repeatable immediately after turning it in for the first time.

- Mob loot tables.
Rare mobs have a habbit of not dropping any item while, as far as I'm aware, rares (above starting-zone lvl) should always drop a green item, with an increased chance of a blue.

Player vs. Player:

- Rank decay.

If you do not get 15 or more honourable kills in a single week, you will not recieve a standing for that week. However on other servers this means that your rank and progress through that rank will not change at all, it will obviously not increase, but it will not decrease either. This causes the issue that people just avoid any and all forms of PvP activity and sit on the rank they wished to obtain, instead of going down ranks or progress every week. This also means that someone who is aiming to obtain a high rank can take breaks in between, chosing not to PvP for a week. This should not be possible.
Thrashing
Sergeant
Sergeant

Re: A list of possible bugs

by rewind » Tue Dec 02, 2014 11:02 pm

Hey Thrashing, nice to see Dreamstate members interrested in the server !
I'll answer to bugs for which my memory is pretty sure about.

-World chests having a ~5 minute respawn timer & Containers in instances respawning or having a short timer : this was fixed

- Spell damage & Healing wands and X Cloak of Proviciency: No such things here

-- Unlimited instance resets: Reset is limited to 5 time.

- Mob loot tables : mob loot tables were corrected by hand, only rare mobs loot tables were not at the time (they didn't anything)

- Rank decay : Rank decay is activated and working
Last edited by rewind on Tue Dec 02, 2014 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rewind
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

by ironsides » Tue Dec 02, 2014 11:17 pm

War...war never changes
Shoot for the moon, and if you miss you'll hit the stars <3
ironsides
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

by Thrashing » Wed Dec 03, 2014 2:18 pm

rewind wrote:Hey Thrashing, nice to see Dreamstate members interrested in the server !
I'll answer to bugs for which my memory is pretty sure about.

Hey Rewind, it's been a while since that Scarlet Monastery boost! I've been following Nostalrius for about three weeks now and it seems more appealing than any other project in a long time.

Thanks for your answers, it's great to hear that Nostalrius has already taken care of these issues, despite some being easily overlooked.

I'll keep thinking of major, yet small, bugs that often cause other server's populations grief and updating this thread with them. However futile it may be, seeing as almost everything is apperantly fixed.
Thrashing
Sergeant
Sergeant

by venven » Wed Dec 03, 2014 3:55 pm

Thrashing wrote:
- Spawned mobs giving Exp.
Low-HP mobs that spawn from killing other mobs (such as: zombies in WPL, silithid in Tanaris, silithid in The Barrens) often are the same level as the mobs that they spawn from, and give full Exp because of it. This can cause people powerleveling very easily off of these mobs.

Fixed as well.
Rogue IG & IRL.
venven
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

by Avshar » Wed Dec 03, 2014 6:11 pm

Let me add some bugs:

- what about herbs/veins? Do they spawn correctly, or like 4 at once?
- what about when a warrior charges (i did not see this in the video, but its really annoying) a mob, does the mob stay, or run behind the warrior, so you have to manually turn around? This happens on most of the private servers
- what about casting mobs? when they interrupt their casting (for example the player runs out of sight) and they run to the player, do their hands glow with the interrupted spell, or not?
- what about the runes in MC? do you need the reputation for the last two bosses?
- what about aggro reducing spells, like fade?
- what about that item from BRS, i cant recall its name, something from the spiders iirc, it was used to clean poisons in AQ, it should have a duration, or disappear when you leave the BRS.
- what about quest item drop chances? usually, they have a 90% drop on other realms, this is not correct
- what about greens/blues loot? usually, the drop chance is so high, that you can get a couple of greens during every quest

will add more in the future, would be nice if someone can answer, thank you :)
...'Cause the players gonna play, play, play, play, play
And the haters gonna hate, hate, hate, hate, hate...
Avshar
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

by Youfie » Wed Dec 03, 2014 7:29 pm

Hey,

I don't remember everything, and I just can't answer properly to some of your questions, but basically eveyrything should be fine, except for the two lasts points regarding items drop - they definitely don't drop like they do on some other privates, or as they would on a server using an unmodified MangosZero DB, but it's probably regarding these issues that everything might be exactly perfect, as most of these bugs were fixed manually, report after report.

Hope some other beta testers can help me out.

Avshar wrote:- what about herbs/veins? Do they spawn correctly, or like 4 at once?

Thet spawn correctly.
And other mechanics are scripted properly.

Which means of course the Black Lotus spawn with the right timers and at the right locations.

And if I remember correctly one of Ustaag's post, the minimum amount amount of herbs spawn at a given time in a given area is scripted as well. Like you're alone in a zone in which, say, 3 types of herbs spawn, and you're only looking for one of them, you're better off gathering all the herbs you encounter, in order to force the respawn of the ones you're looking for, as the cooldowns on them will be overidden by the "there should be at least X herbs spawned in this area at any given time". I think the sources for this were datas from the old wow-carto programm and some EJ posts.

Not the most essential thing, as it basically allows more herbs to be gathered when an area is really overfarmed, but it's kinda nice to have it as on retail. To be honest this feature was quite hard to see at work during beta due to the low population. I kinda think it could be witnessed in the Blasted Lands (small area).

Avshar wrote:- what about when a warrior charges (i did not see this in the video, but its really annoying) a mob, does the mob stay, or run behind the warrior, so you have to manually turn around? This happens on most of the private servers

I think it's fine. Nnot 100% sure as I never played a warrior during beta, but the issue would have been reported I guess, and the devs could not possibly have missed that while making their video.

Avshar wrote:- what about casting mobs? when they interrupt their casting (for example the player runs out of sight) and they run to the player, do their hands glow with the interrupted spell, or not?

The definitely stop casting when you cut LoS ofc. As for the visual effect, I'd say it's fine too, not really sure (it's been a while).

Avshar wrote:- what about the runes in MC? do you need the reputation for the last two bosses?

Seriously ?

Avshar wrote:- what about aggro reducing spells, like fade?

I remember Envy and some other priests reporting and testing Fade multiple times, so as far as I know, yes.

However it's maybe not the case of every single spell regarding threat like some set bonuses or AQ trinket (never obtained on the server though).

Avshar wrote:- what about that item from BRS, i cant recall its name, something from the spiders iirc, it was used to clean poisons in AQ, it should have a duration, or disappear when you leave the BRS.

I think so. Not 100% sure, but like 99%.

Avshar wrote:- what about quest item drop chances? usually, they have a 90% drop on other realms, this is not correct

They're definitely not 90% on most quests. I guess they have been fixed manually on many quests, every time there was a report with a reliable source. I didn't level 1-60 during beta, so I couldn't help you more on this one.

The HL content is, except maybe a few exceptions, fine. It was tested a hell lot more, thanks to the instant 55, and thus much more fixed, basically. And yes, the Bear and Chimaera meat for the Wintersaber rep. is a pain in the ass to drop :D.

Avshar wrote:- what about greens/blues loot? usually, the drop chance is so high, that you can get a couple of greens during every quest

I definitely remember they were way lower than other private servers I played on. But I don't remember a specific report & fix regarding this exact issue though.

Doesn't mean it's not fixed, I might have missed it, or it might have happen before I joined NR, or after I left. I do remember the drop tables of the Rares and / or Elites mobs in the world been looked into (just as these mobs regarding locations and spawns etc.) ; I don't remember exactly if it was fully addressed.

Here again, other players' input would be welcome.
Youfie
Knight-Lieutenant
Knight-Lieutenant

by rewind » Wed Dec 03, 2014 8:58 pm

I can confirm some of Youfie's responses.
Avshar wrote:- what about when a warrior charges (i did not see this in the video, but its really annoying) a mob, does the mob stay, or run behind the warrior, so you have to manually turn around? This happens on most of the private servers
It works fine
Avshar wrote:- what about casting mobs? when they interrupt their casting (for example the player runs out of sight) and they run to the player, do their hands glow with the interrupted spell, or not?
Works fine too, interrupted mobs come to melee
Avshar wrote:- what about aggro reducing spells, like fade?
Aggro reducing spells are working ( that means fade is temporary reducing aggro )
Avshar wrote:- what about quest item drop chances? usually, they have a 90% drop on other realms, this is not correct
Quest item drop chances looked blizzlike
Avshar wrote:- what about greens/blues loot? usually, the drop chance is so high, that you can get a couple of greens during every quest
I don't know for green ones, they did not seem to overloot tho, but blues droptables where entirely corrected by Reap (ex-gm).
rewind
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

by Aquane » Thu Dec 04, 2014 1:32 am

since you guys are answering questions about if bugs exist, I'd though I should point out all of these questions here, most of which went unanswered:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=92
Aquane
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

Return to Suggestions