Feedback

We are always open to new ideas. Come here if you have a suggestion, we will discuss it together.

Feedback

by jorim » Wed Nov 05, 2014 10:51 am

I have some remarks about what I see here

Staff
You claim you have 16 developers, which I find hard to believe. Nevertheless it would be amazing if it’s true. But please inform us then how does team looks like: what are their (forum)-names and for what part are they responsible? Are they all coders, or half of them testers?

Sustainability of the server
Sustainability is mainly about credibility and having a good public relations manager, these things are key to server population. YOU NEED THIS.
Let’s be honest the vanilla community has seen a lot of servers come and go like scriptcraft, rebirth and Q-gaming. There wasn’t any problem with the quality, rather financial (rebirth claiming 60k server cost, biggest scam ever imo I pity anyone who donated) and technical problems (getting DDOS’ed and bad cheat protection). If you can prove your server will last a while people will bother leveling blizzlike x1.

Still around is Valkyrie: pay to win, high rates and Russian playerbase. Not my cup of tea.

Feenix:
- corrupt management (core people athairne, claudian, feenixes and database are gone)
- they only care about donations now, you pay to win
- bad scripts
- they have no developers anymore nothing is fixed
- they spend their time censoring everything on the forum that criticizes the project or mentions other projects
- it's matter of time before it dies

Apparently Nostalrius has been around for 4+ years, but there is not much evidence left of that besides the youtube videos. The website and forum is brand new, probably because the old one was French and the server decided to go international. It all has to look very professional, people judge your server on it. What is planned to be improved? Will there be a server status tab which shows number of players online? An Armory?
How do you plan to make revenue to cover costs?

Youtube channel
Talking about youtube, it is confusing me that the channel is full of videos from vanilla retail? Yes it is interesting, but for me it is hard to distinguish them from the actual Nostalrius movies where you can see the features of nostalrius about everything that works and is fixed.

TBC
The faq states that a TBC server will be released after a couple of months. You make it sound like you do that overnight. Considering that Corecraft has been in development for over 2 years. This sounds hard to believe, I suggest you stay realistic and stick to Vanilla for now.

Reviving old Nostalrius characters
I also read in the faq that old nostalrius character might be restored, considering that was when the server was instant lvl 60 this would be very unfair and set a lot of people off. Don’t do this!

Kronos
As most people know, there is that other project that plans on offering the same experience as nostalrius. I don’t favor either, I really want both to succeed. I hereby ask everyone not the bash on one and another, Kronos and Nostalrius both strive blizzlike perfection. The community needs good alternatives, don’t make the competition bitter.

The real enemy here is Feenix, they have a big (unhappy) community that needs to know about these alternatives, many players have left there not knowing about alternatives and some still play there because that's all there is.
jorim
Private
Private

Re: Feedback

by Hatson » Wed Nov 05, 2014 11:13 am

jorim wrote: you can prove your server will last a while people will bother leveling blizzlike x1.

Eh, I wouldn't suggest anyone leveling on vanilla servers just "to bother". If anything I love leveling on 1x rates.
jorim wrote:Reviving old Nostalrius characters
I also read in the faq that old nostalrius character might be restored, considering that was when the server was instant lvl 60 this would be very unfair and set a lot of people off. Don’t do this!

This won't go into effect until many months after launch, even up to half a year. I wouldn't worry one bit about it, as by then everyone else will be better geared.
The White Blacksmith.
Sometimes I stream stuff: http://www.twitch.tv/travallama/
Hatson
Stone Guard
Stone Guard

by jorim » Wed Nov 05, 2014 11:20 am

Hatson wrote:Eh, I wouldn't suggest anyone leveling on vanilla servers just "to bother". If anything I love leveling on 1x rates.

My point is that leveling x1 is a big time investment compared to a server with high rates. People don't want to loose that investment if the server might disappear after a year. They also want everything to work when they spend 10 times longer reaching level cap. This is not a matter of preference but cold hard reality.
jorim
Private
Private

by Birdie » Wed Nov 05, 2014 11:52 am

Talking about youtube, it is confusing me that the channel is full of videos from vanilla retail? Yes it is interesting, but for me it is hard to distinguish them from the actual Nostalrius movies where you can see the features of nostalrius about everything that works and is fixed.

I saw only a few video from vanilla retail.
Maybe you mingled Nostalrius beta videos with vanilla retail ? With what they scripted, it should be hard sometimes to see a difference.
Birdie
Private
Private

by Sélenne » Wed Nov 05, 2014 12:02 pm

The Ahn Qiraj video and The orgrimmar emerald massacre were from retail yes, all the other ones are from the server itself.

But don't forget that videos show content from 2012 and some from 2010, a lot of fixes have been made from 2012 to august this year concerning raids.
<Raid is Dead> Horde side guild
Slade - Orc Warlock
-----------------------------
Sélenne
Sergeant
Sergeant

by Osiris » Wed Nov 05, 2014 12:30 pm

Jorin, if you don't know details about Rebirth or server costs, then don't say anything at all instead of talking shit and making claims of frauds.

And if you are unsure about Nostalrius, then you also have the option of staying away instead of making demands as if you are the boss around here.

Staff: I can put together 16 fake identities together for you, will you sleep better after that because it has proven nothing?

Sustainability: The server was almost exclusively French before and French people like to keep it to themselves. So I wouldn't wonder why there is not much to find in English. You could go ask in the Horde guild forums though. Raid Is Dead had the chance to play a little.

TBC: 1) I believe Nostalrius not only has vanilla servers running before. I did not dig into them though, but it seems that they have TBC experience as well. Also, it was said that the Nostalrius team is a merged team from previously separated projects, so that's where the experience might come from. 2) The Timeline thread also states, that TBC will only be released when Naxx is cleared or on farm status.

Reviving old Nostalrius characters: It was also said, that this would not happen at start (if at all) to prevent imbalance. It would also be unfair to let the beta testers put in a lot of work and free time to make a better server and then to wipe all their progress. So while I don't like the idea either, I think it would be alright after - for example- MC is on farm status.

Kronos: Right.
Osiris
Grunt
Grunt

by jorim » Wed Nov 05, 2014 1:21 pm

Do you really believe it costs 60k each year to run one server? But anyway Rebirth is not the topic here, I excuse myself for my possible bias. Was just trying to make a point that I'm probably not the only one that has become a little sceptical by the projects that unfortunately didn't succeed allthough they were very promising.

So I'm not trying to be the boss here, not trying to be cocky either. I'm just asking questions that many will ask when they pay a visit here.

I found the old forum archive btw, if anyone is curious:
http://archives.nostalrius.org/index.php
You can check out all the fixes there, I can speak french myself but for those who don't you can put it trough google translate.
jorim
Private
Private

by Osiris » Wed Nov 05, 2014 2:09 pm

First of all, lets be bros. Your first post made a really impolite impression, thus my reaction.

Second, I'd like to close the Rebirth discussion, because I don't like to talk about other servers here. But since I was on Rebirth from its beginning, I might have a slightly emotional bond to that place. If you played there for less then a year, I understand what impression the whole situation made on newer people. But the fact is, that the owner (Freakyuno) paid for the server out of his own pocket up to that point and refused any donations(except that one time, where somebody from the staff was severely ill/dead). Not only had it good scripts, but also was the staff just awesome. We all knew who the owner and the GMs were (private FB accounts etc) and even what Freakyuno does for a living. So if you were there back then, you would never come up with the idea of a scam. It's just that the owner had to shut off any private connections to the server and website after the first Blizzard lawsuit (GM Muggle ran the server in Germany for a few weeks).

Also noteworthy is that 42k of those 66k were the costs to buy the hardware and software for the server. And yes, this shit is expensive (if you want quality, performance). The rest would be consumed by bandwidth costs and traffic.

Anyways... the king is dead, long live the king (Nostalrius).
Osiris
Grunt
Grunt

by jorim » Wed Nov 05, 2014 2:38 pm

I admit i'm not as well informed about RB as you are, excuse my ignorance.
jorim
Private
Private

by Hatson » Wed Nov 05, 2014 2:45 pm

Unfortunately RB had a lot legal and outside of game issues. So, I guess it was inevitable that it would turn into the state that it is in now. It's a shame because it was a great server with a nice community of people.
But that being said, it will become a thing of the past if Nostalrius rises up like I hope it will. Really, I'm itching for some vanilla experience again, progressing through the leveling, raiding and PvP with other enthusiastic or like-minded people.
I'm excited to say the least.
The White Blacksmith.
Sometimes I stream stuff: http://www.twitch.tv/travallama/
Hatson
Stone Guard
Stone Guard

Next

Return to Suggestions