One letter...

We are always open to new ideas. Come here if you have a suggestion, we will discuss it together.

One letter...

by Enjurbn » Fri Apr 08, 2016 9:53 am

All it took. That's it.

I can understand that you don't want confrontation with Blizzard, that you're afraid of potential legal battles, that you're French, and liberal. What I don't understand is Wtf did you expect when you started this project?

All this effort for nothing because of one little letter? Do you think they singled you out? That you're special somehow? That they're gonna pay attention to you? So you started this noble petition to Blizzard Gods to have mercy?

They don't give a flying **** about you or any of us, apart from the legal department they probably don't even know who you are, nor do they want to know or care. Peenix and others have probably been receiving this routine letters every single day for the past 8 years, guess what they do with them? But you probably got the world record on the quickest surrender, gz! Blizzard lawyers can't stop laughing right now
Enjurbn
Private
Private

Re: One letter...

by lordgold » Fri Apr 08, 2016 10:57 am

I agree, if every time so quickly cave in to pressure from the government, corporations and other bastards, they will be even harder to fuck you
lordgold
Private
Private

by Kolltrem » Fri Apr 08, 2016 11:10 am

I agree with him.
Lieutenant-Commander Kolltrem - Hunter (PvP realm)
Road to the r11 : R10 - IIII...... - R11
Kolltrem
Sergeant
Sergeant

by arOo » Fri Apr 08, 2016 11:22 am

You have exactly zero information about the letter that was forwarded to them.
Yet, you feel entitled to judge people by how they react to being legally pursued...

Alright bud.
/allyourbasearebelongtous
Nuar - Nostalrius Begins PvP
arOo
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

by Pottu » Fri Apr 08, 2016 4:24 pm

As far as I know, no server outside of the USA has been taken down by Blizzard before. This is because the draconian Digital Millennium Copyright Act, that makes it trivial for companies to take down anything they with, with most of the burden of proof on the accused, is naturally only eligible in the US itself. Lawyers are paid by the hour and are expensive, so it was thought that Blizzard would not go through the expense of hiring a French lawyer to drive the case in France. Especially when Nostalrius was not making any money.

But Blizzard did hire a French lawyer who is pursuing us and our service provider through French law, not utilizing the American DMCA one, but simply the French copyright and international trademark laws. This is a major change from previous Blizzard policy and not something that could have been "obviously" foreseen. Especially as nobody in the team expected us to grow this big. I'd like to remind everyone that before launch, we had posters here in the forums predicting 500 players, maybe a peak of 1,000 players if we're lucky. Well, those predictions sure seem ridiculous now - but they weren't ridiculous back then.

So please do not accuse the team of being idiots and cowards. I understand that you're disappointed, frustrated and angry with the server closing, but spewing vitriol on us is not going to improve the situation. Rather, other private server projects should learn the lessons from us - if your server gets popular enough, Blizzard will go after you regardless of your geographical location, regardless of whether you're making money or not, just to protect their trademark and intellectual property.
Pottu
Game Master
Game Master

by Youfie » Fri Apr 08, 2016 4:42 pm

Also, OP, if the Nostalrius staff is as ridiculous & coward as you say, then what don't you do what you blame them for not doing?

Feel free to host the server under your own name and be the only one responsible if Blizzard ever decides to come after you. You don't need any technical abilities, you'll let the current staff have access to the server and continue to be the administrators, and the hosting costs would continue to be paid as they were until now.

Why not? :roll:
Youfie
Knight-Lieutenant
Knight-Lieutenant

by Enjurbn » Sat Apr 09, 2016 4:01 pm

Pottu wrote:
But Blizzard did hire a French lawyer who is pursuing us and our service provider through French law, not utilizing the American DMCA one, but simply the French copyright and international trademark laws.

Ok, change the provider? Try smth else? Anything is better than instant surrender. Lawyers are slow, that's your advantage, if you need money i'm sure the community can help you with that.

Pottu wrote:
Rather, other private server projects should learn the lessons from us - if your server gets popular enough, Blizzard will go after you regardless of your geographical location, regardless of whether you're making money or not, just to protect their trademark and intellectual property.

Peenix has been operating rather well and it was pretty popular back in the day. So no offense, but may be it is you who should learn from other private servers, how to adapt and survive. Instead you seem to be under the illusion that Blizzard will listen and change their stance. It is NOT going to happen
Enjurbn
Private
Private

by LovelyDPS » Sat Apr 09, 2016 7:00 pm

*But you probably got the world record on the quickest surrender, gz!*
Easy to say if it`s not your ticket into jail or another punishment, gz. . .
LovelyDPS
Private
Private

by Nagrim » Sun Apr 10, 2016 12:57 pm

Considering that Blizzard got its european headquarter in France, they might already have some french lawyers ;)
The whole thing should have been launched in Russia to be really safe :(
Nagrim
Sergeant
Sergeant

by VeloxBanks » Sun Apr 10, 2016 6:30 pm

I'm bumping this since it isn't locked. This is in no way a statement from me nor am I agreeing with anyone's opinion. I'm simply doing my best to push forward every source of a meaningful answer I can get. And if those answers actualy bring us closer to resolving this issue that's all the better.
'tis but a jest, brother!
VeloxBanks
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Next

Return to Suggestions