New Game

We are always open to new ideas. Come here if you have a suggestion, we will discuss it together.

New Game

by Protego » Tue Apr 12, 2016 7:49 am

Just a thought here... You have a solid dev team here, you have put in the hours and got the experience...

Why don't you make a new game based around the classic wow principles...
People like the old gear/loot/dungeon system (obviously)
People like the old graphics (Mainly because any computer can run it)

You have the basics, you can keep the classes identical if you want, you just have to make a new story/world.

If you put something up on kickstarter, or steam, or some other funding platform, I will be one of the first backers, and I bet you get your goal met!
Protego
Tester

Re: New Game

by wampuskitty » Tue Apr 12, 2016 6:09 pm

Yeah I'm sure many have wondered that.

Creating all the required game assets - which I assume is what blizzard is mainly protecting through copyright action, so is really what needs to be created for the new game - would take a very long time - many man-years of effort for a game as complex as world of warcraft [though perhaps less nowadays with the high level of skin re-use]. So - textures, models, npcs, decisions on class and spells/buffs/etc, all the quests, and pvp too... awful lot of effort.

Presumably also need to write a new client too. Making that run smoothly on a wide range of hardware.

So - awful lot of work, for no certain gain. WoW benefitted hugely from the warcraft games - and maybe other blizzard franchises like diablo. And I'd reckon that buy-in is critical to getting people involved and wanting to play. Not saying colours and sounds and fun gameplay aren't important, but the backdrop was a huge factor in wow's success [and nostalrius success] for some.

Having said that, I guess DOTA2 is an example of what can be done - but I'd also think it's nowhere near as much work to set up as a WoW clone.
wampuskitty
Grunt
Grunt

by wampuskitty » Tue Apr 12, 2016 6:12 pm

And of course DOTA2 probably built on DOTA success, and DOTA came from WC3. I'm guessing that vanilla servers are probably not up at DOTA levels of popularity?

Not trying to pour cold water, I think it's a great idea, just wondering how realistic the chances of success.
wampuskitty
Grunt
Grunt

by Protego » Wed Apr 13, 2016 9:13 am

You see these games come out all the time.

I am not trying to suggest a full ground up WoW competitor... Even if you took something on one of the existing engines and just strive to keep the feel of the classes, the difficulty and epic feeling of the game.

For my part, and what many have said, part of what they loved about Vanilla was the feel of the game. It didnt hold your hand, it took time to level and progress through the game. Quest rewards and random drops did matter, so did dungeons which were rather difficult to do at the entry level.

They have the subject matter and the model. It would come down to do they want to? It would probably be a "career" type of choice... Though to be fair many of these games go into "early access alpha/beta" on say steam and stay in that mode for a couple years before full release... Not to say that I would want that but it would be an option.
Protego
Tester

by umandez » Wed Apr 13, 2016 5:22 pm

Why not create a way that you do not need to use any of the game files to host the server? At the moment only way the server uses Blizzard files is through the pathfinding and vmaps etc. If they were to be re-created from scratch in a custom format and the client was not distributed in anyway by Blizzard then surely they'd have no grounds of copyright agains't the server host?

They'd have to go for the players instead, and let's be honest they are not going to go after 150k players with lawsuits are they?

IM no expert in how this legal shiznits work so please educate me if I'm wrong...

Emulation Software - Legal
Vmaps - Illegal as they are modifed from Blizzard MPQs
Database and Character Data - Legal (Purely untangable data where in it's MySQL state Blizzard has no claim to)

Connecting to a Private server from the Client - Illegal/Agains't Blizzard ToS (Which I don't think is Illegal in the EU?)
Download/Torrenting the game when not owning a valid licence key - Illegal for obvious reasons.

So surely the only thing to do is change the way the Pathfinding and Vmaps work?
umandez
Sergeant
Sergeant

by Shadowx93ca » Thu Apr 14, 2016 9:34 am

Straight up, dead honest right now - I would devote a big amount of cash to Nost Devs if they started a kickstarter for their own game - These people are devoted, hard working, have SHOWED US that they have the truest of potential, and the very best of intentions.

If you remade a world that looks like World of Warcraft, has almost the same lore as World of Warcraft, heck, let it have graphics on the level of 2004 WoW, I'd still throw my money at it. IMO, it's even better if it's like that - The game actually looks fine; It's easthetically pleasing still.

Start from Scratch - I'll volunteer as a bloody GM if you do this. I'll do a blood rad job, too.
Shadowx93ca
Grunt
Grunt

by magpiez » Thu Apr 14, 2016 1:26 pm

I would like to indulge this idea for a bit. Well total conversions are allowed for private use as per Blizzard. I assume this would mean as long as you don't use for retail it would be okay to host. And as far as getting there, players and testers should be allowed on the server right? Hard to make a total conversion without people testing it. Might have to be personal invite only type thing though as apposed to register then play.
magpiez
Private
Private

Return to Suggestions