About leveling rates

We are always open to new ideas. Come here if you have a suggestion, we will discuss it together.

About leveling rates

by dahmi99 » Thu Jan 15, 2015 1:42 am

is it possible that the staff maybe could make a strawpoll to see what ppl want the most. 1x or higher.
PS. pls 1x lovers dont get mad im just asking!
dahmi99
Tester

Re: About leveling rates

by Mythodiir » Sat Jan 17, 2015 1:16 am

dahmi99 wrote:is it possible that the staff maybe could make a strawpoll to see what ppl want the most. 1x or higher.
PS. pls 1x lovers dont get mad im just asking!

I'm certain most people interested in Nostalrius are interested in Blizz-like. That means 1x rate only. Otherwise it's something else. If you don't want Blizz-like, why are you interested in Nostalrius? I don't think this is the sort of thing that should be compromised. If I put up a poster advertising free cheese pizza, and like 8 people show up for this cheese pizza, and I could only make one pizza, if half tell me they'd actually like hawaiin pizza, and the other half say they only want cheese (assuming the pizza could only be one or the other), I advertised something quite explicitly, I'm not going to false advertise and disappoint half the people to make the other half happy. Screw off if you don't want cheese pizza. You can order Hawaiin pizza somewhere else.

Edit: Having choosable rates would be like cooking a pizza 1/2 Hawaiin, 1/2 Cheese, and the entire pizza tasting vaguely of pineapple.

Edit: This isn't the best analogy, but I think I've made a decent case about advertising. Aside from that, I don't think people creating a gaming experience should do most things democratically. They should make the best game experience they can, in their own eyes. Too many cooks spoil the broth. A single competent person who knows exactly what they're doing will often create a better product than hundreds of jumbled voices. The goal of this server is to re-create vanilla WoW, that's what Nostalrius should do. Screwing around with the concept will create a worse product, not a better one.
Mythodiir
Private
Private

by Drain » Sat Jan 17, 2015 2:12 am

There is no logical reason for faster rates to exist. It's just a cheap gimmick that servers perform to allow you to more easily skip broken content they couldn't be bothered to properly script. When half the quests in a game are broken, slapping 2 or 3x rates is the easy solution to the problem. On most servers, you don't even need to bother with quests, as the rate is so ridiculous you can just grind mobs. You outlevel dungeons while activity doing the dungeon. Not a good sign. The better solution, and the one Blizzard went with, is to just have everything work...

That said, you're actually operating at faster than 1x whenever you play past a bracket's original time period. You are faster than 1x for 1-60 when playing any expansion, and faster than 1x 60-70 when playing on anything past BC. This is because Blizzard stupidly slashed the XP amounts every release, reducing the total time to reach the previous max level so that you'd get to the new content faster. This is part of what helped to ruin WoW, and something they never should have done. The longer it takes to level, the better the game is, provided there's enough content to support it. Classic struggled to have enough content with its default rates 1-60, which somewhat justified the first XP cut. But for every release past BC, they put in another cut that had no reason to be done.
R I P: Untoten(29d, 12h), Schuss(54d, 10h), Bluten(27d, 8h), Angst(9d, 11h), Zauber(23d, 5h)
Retired from the Nost forums. Moved to Elysium. https://forum.elysium-project.org/index ... user=45003
Drain
Stone Guard
Stone Guard

by Moxey » Sat Jan 17, 2015 4:12 pm

If you want faster exp rates dont play for a week and gather rested exp.
Other then that default thank you.
Moxey
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

by dahmi99 » Mon Jan 19, 2015 3:35 pm

i dont see the issue here why not just make i optional if you want to level with 1x then do it and if you want to level with higher rate's you can. personly i dont give a shit about leveling and i dont think changing the the EXP rate's will ruin the blizz-like feeling.
dahmi99
Tester

by Azalus » Mon Jan 19, 2015 5:44 pm

dahmi99 wrote:i dont see the issue here why not just make i optional if you want to level with 1x then do it and if you want to level with higher rate's you can. personly i dont give a shit about leveling and i dont think changing the the EXP rate's will ruin the blizz-like feeling.

Because the people who are die hard x1 don't want to let other people get too far ahead of them.

That's what this always boils down to. If there are higher rates available then people feel like they're "forced" to use them because otherwise they will get left behind.

The argument about missing content, or "not being blizzlike" are bad. You can still have x1 be an option, it's just that people cry about it being unfair to those who want it x1.

The majority of people playing on private servers are doing so for the content at level 60. That's where the majority of your play time occurs. Why there is always such an uproar over it is beyond me. You'll probably have 4-14 days of playtime leveling at x1 depending on your attitude, but your time at level 60 will dwarf that if the server stays functional for any period of time.

I understand that having the "blizzlike" tag on a server is something of a pride symbol, but an argument can be made that you will gain a lot of players if you have higher leveling rates because switching from a server like ED, or Vengeance, or Kronos is a lot easier if you don't have to stare down the shitty road that is x1 leveling.
Azalus
Sergeant
Sergeant

by Kill » Mon Jan 19, 2015 6:14 pm

Following different arguments in this forum and other "vanilla" places, I, for myself, believe the most important reasons are:

1) People, myself included, are afraid if anything is changed away from vanilla, be it to good or to worse, soon more and more alterations will come and vanilla feeling will be lost. For example, people are arguing about making content harder and other people for making it easier. Both have they upsides and downsides, but once the changing of stats, mechanics, spells, etc. away from Blizzard's original starts - where does it end?

Most people come here to Nostalrius, because they all share one common desire - old-school, blizzlike realms (and ofcause friendly community)! Nonetheless I guess most of us can think of some alterations that would make the game more fitted to our personal interest in this server, but frankly "vanilla" is the common understanding here. So most people try to defend this common (and this also seem to be the direction of the devs).

2) The last one being a more principle answer, I want to state why I am personally against it. Grinding through vanilla content is, at least for me as some kind of non-WoW-pro, hard work. But after having it done I am proud of my champion that I developed some kinda relation too, after throwing hours and hours of time at him. It feels "unfair" that people shall get the same final product that I have, without the same sort of work.

Additionally, at this is the most important part, if e.g. leveling is a rate of 3x other people will only drive-by areas, in which I will have to stay for some time, making it very deserted. I personally like to group up for some minor elites or quests, as well for small instances like DM, etc. and that's just not happening, when the people are not really forced to go there, because they can just farm mobs somewhere else for more exp. Also there will be more bugs in low level content, if there are less people watching for them.

3) Organized raid-guilds are, if higher rates are optional, still forced to take them (in the beginning), since they surely want to be the first starting to clear stuff. And there is always someone, in another raid-guild, who will take the faster way, so they also have to.

4) There is no need for higher rates
If you want instant raid/PVP content, there are plenty of servers that offer instant LVL "x". But why not play the game in the designated pace? It's, for me at least, not only about high lvl / PVP content but also about getting to know people and learning stuff on the way there. That is why I am also very happy ofcause about the cascaded release of late game content ;D

Tl;Dr: Vanilla is Common Sense, Low LVL content is not bad => no (optional) higher rates! + they are not needed anyway
Kill
Sergeant
Sergeant

by Switchblade » Mon Jan 19, 2015 6:14 pm

you really don't know what you are talking about.

X1 rates are blizzlike, higher rates aren't.

I won't even bother to explain why, people who cry for higher rates don't give a fuck.

If you think wow leveling is a shitty road, you should go play league of legends or something else.
Switchblade
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

by Netherfrost » Mon Jan 19, 2015 6:21 pm

Its about the journey, not the destination
Netherfrost
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

by Zetox » Mon Jan 19, 2015 6:24 pm

Azalus wrote:
I understand that having the "blizzlike" tag on a server is something of a pride symbol, but an argument can be made that you will gain a lot of players if you have higher leveling rates because switching from a server like ED, or Vengeance, or Kronos is a lot easier if you don't have to stare down the shitty road that is x1 leveling.

Spending time on your character is fundamental feature on vanilla whether it's leveling or gearing up. You're suggesting destroying the antecedent time to allow more time on the consequent.

Which is precisely parallel towards what Blizzard imported into the expansions exponentially growing within the paradigm of preparation and mechanics.
Less preparation but MORE mechanics. But isn't that why people play vanilla wow??
Because the more time you prepare on something the more important it becomes to you.
It's an age old principle that's not going anywhere; and I hope Nos keeps it that way! :)

You want to modify the 1.12 experience? Fair enough Nos is already doing it to try and bring us back to 1.1 which is a huge task in and of itself but I think is commendable!

I don't think that 'time leveling' is the primary cause of population like you seem to suggest; rather the quality of the server which includes things not limited but like (scripting, community, staff involvement).
Zetox
Sergeant
Sergeant

Next

Return to Suggestions