New & Improved UI for Vanilla

We are always open to new ideas. Come here if you have a suggestion, we will discuss it together.

New & Improved UI for Vanilla

by Qahtani » Mon Nov 10, 2014 5:07 pm

Hello,

I have been playing wow when it was first release, and then stopped after WOTLK came out.
I came back to private servers when mist of panda was release and join a classic wow server.

I realised coming back to classiv wow that the UI system was completed out-dated compared to a better UI system for Burning Crusade and I have seen that WOTLK was also better..

My question and suggestion: is there a possibility of bringing a better UI system for classic wow instead of trying to play with a rusty screen UI?

thanks.
Qahtani
Tester

Re: New & Improved UI for Vanilla

by Malga » Mon Nov 10, 2014 6:28 pm

This UI is very simple to configure.
http://www.feenixserver.com/forum/topic ... roui-1121/
Malga Warlock 60 (active) on Light's Hope
Yeani Mage 60 (pseudo-retired)
Malga Warrior 60 (pseudo-retired)
Malga
Sergeant
Sergeant

by Linc » Mon Nov 10, 2014 7:49 pm

Addons? :)
Linc
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

by Hatson » Mon Nov 10, 2014 8:28 pm

Just get addons, bro.
There's a .rar file out there with every addon that ever existed compatible with the 1.12.1 version of WoW that we will be playing on.

I highly recommend Bongos for UI bars.
The White Blacksmith.
Sometimes I stream stuff: http://www.twitch.tv/travallama/
Hatson
Stone Guard
Stone Guard

by Youfie » Mon Nov 10, 2014 10:03 pm

Hi,

You can download here here a collection of hundreds of AddOns compatible with WoW Classic. Many of them have been tested and work fine on Nostalrius.

My question and suggestion: is there a possibility of bringing a better UI system for classic wow instead of trying to play with a rusty screen UI?

Well, it depends on what you're looking for. Visually, you can modify virtually anything, if you put time into it and have knowledge in .lua coding.

Regarding actual features, some AddOns may allow you to automatize a lot of things (e.g. decursing), some others to do stuff that the client in itself doesn't show (e.g. estimating the target's HP), but there are limitations and restrictions of the client / UI system that cannot be bypassed (don't expect any /castsequence macros).

You can have a look at Vanilla videos or screenshots to get an idea of what was possible back then in terms of UI moduling.

As an example, this is what my UI used to look like during Nostalrius beta.

Last edited by Youfie on Tue Nov 11, 2014 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Youfie
Knight-Lieutenant
Knight-Lieutenant

by Qahtani » Mon Nov 10, 2014 10:32 pm

Thank you so much, this will help me a lot when the server starts

@Hatson
@Malga
@Youfie
Last edited by Qahtani on Thu Nov 13, 2014 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Qahtani
Tester

by Drain » Mon Nov 10, 2014 10:45 pm

Unfortunately, they won't give you a new UI. This would mean rebuilding the game engine themselves. The UI is inside the game engine, it's not server side. If they tried to overhaul the game engine, they would then have a custom version that will conflict with the regular one. They'd then have to distribute their custom version and say, "YOU MUST USE THIS ONE, NONE OTHER", as running both would be a huge problem. Anytime they changed it, they'd then have to patch it for players, just like Blizzard did. Assuming they did mess with the engine, it would also wreck every already working mod for 1.12. Given how much time and effort they already have to put in just scripting a server for you to connect too, it's unlikely they'll do this too. I've never seen a private server mess with the game engine. It just isn't worth the trouble when they can let you go get any default client then just mod it yourself.

My suggestion is to just DL the big Addon package from Feenix and start building your own UI. You can connect to any Classic server to do this. You don't have to wait for Nostalrius to open or use Feenix. The GOOD news is that once you have your UI built; it's done forever. Unlike back in retail where patches would come out regularly that wrecked your stuff; that'll never happen again. 1.12 for the game engine is the end of the road now, so having your UI the way you want it for Classic means it'll stay that way and never need to be updated or fixed again. You see, I played Classic back then(almost the entire time period), and every few weeks, they would release a patch that broke everything. So you had to keep updating or replacing mods regularly. This was the biggest problem. That problem is gone now, as anything that works for 1.12 will "always" work.

This is the Feenix Addon package. It contains most Addons for Classic. Some are borked, others are missing, but it will contain most things you need or may be looking for. You can build a whole UI using this directory alone. This is easy to find in search results as it's been linked on many sites.
http://www.ownedcore.com/forums/world-o ... ddons.html
So far I've noticed that Questlevels, QuickLoot, and SuperInspect don't work right. You can use AceLoot and GoodInspect, also in the directory, to replace 2 of them. I haven't yet replaced Questlevels with a working alternative, but I've only done limited work on my own UI.
R I P: Untoten(29d, 12h), Schuss(54d, 10h), Bluten(27d, 8h), Angst(9d, 11h), Zauber(23d, 5h)
Retired from the Nost forums. Moved to Elysium. https://forum.elysium-project.org/index ... user=45003
Drain
Stone Guard
Stone Guard

Return to Suggestions