(3) Timed Dungeons and Leaderboards!

We are always open to new ideas. Come here if you have a suggestion, we will discuss it together.

(3) Timed Dungeons and Leaderboards!

by Askental » Thu Feb 12, 2015 1:20 am

In an effort to protect the sacred blizzlike, I'd like to suggest something that should not change anything to the actual experience, while making it a bit more exciting, especially for hardcore players who have seen it all. So... yeah. Timed dungeons.

The basic idea is to log the time when a group starts a dungeon, and then log the time again when the same group kills the last boss of that dungeon. It's just a simple subtraction to figure out how long it took them to rush to the end, and then the best times and the group members can be displayed on the website in a nice leaderboard for each dungeon.

Really simple rules: the timer is canceled if anyone leaves the dungeon, but the group can continue even if some members die. I am not sure if there is a need for any other reward than just sitting on top of the scores. If anything, maybe some potions to compensate the ones needed for the runs or simply some golds. Because it pushes the groups to their limits, death will happen a lot and this may turn into a very expensive activity. :D Could also be applied to raids, but would need every boss dead to complete. Clearly no rewards for raids though!

I suggest this because the main reason people quit MMOs is simply boredom, or lack of exciting things to do, especially for hardcore gamers who tend to play a lot and not only log in for "raid night". And here we're talking about a 10 years old game with absolutely no surprises left in it, with dozens of complete guides about anything already available... I think this is a different approach to a rather boring activity in 1.12 that would hopefully entertain the most active players more than just sitting on their butt in Org and IF, or even attract some new players with a strong competitive spirit.

And there is plenty of elements in the game to make this thing interesting. Ideally, people will start recording runs (gathering some views for the server!), discuss together the best strategies and we will bring the fine art of speedrunning into WoW 1.12! Or not. Either way, I believe this kind of feature would make the server more attractive, and this will be my last point.
Askental
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Re: (3) Timed Dungeons and Leaderboards!

by Netherfrost » Thu Feb 12, 2015 1:59 am

Interesting idea. http://realmplayers.com/RaidStats/Insta ... x?realm=ED is a great place to gather ideas.
Netherfrost
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

by Hatson » Thu Feb 12, 2015 2:36 am

90% Why not.
The White Blacksmith.
Sometimes I stream stuff: http://www.twitch.tv/travallama/
Hatson
Stone Guard
Stone Guard

by Youfie » Thu Feb 12, 2015 4:25 pm

+1
An automated system just displaying the best dungeon dwellers and the best raid guilds on the website is a good thing :). It won't have any in-game effect whatsoever and could create a little more competition, so why not :).

I'm 100% against any kind of reward though, even repair bills, pots, gold or anything.
Youfie
Knight-Lieutenant
Knight-Lieutenant

by Fossi » Thu Feb 12, 2015 4:50 pm

I like that idea, too.
Fossi
Tester

by Shadowlurk » Thu Feb 12, 2015 5:32 pm

Sounds fun. Should bring some healthy competition to PvE for those who don't care for PvP competition.
Want your game to look visually stunning and run silky smooth? Read my guide.
Shadowlurk - Level 29 Troll Rogue (Expert Leatherworker / Expert Skinner)
Shadowlurk
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

by Dessel » Thu Feb 12, 2015 5:35 pm

Yeah this sounds fun!
Dessel
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

by Askental » Thu Feb 12, 2015 10:26 pm

Netherfrost wrote:Interesting idea. http://realmplayers.com/RaidStats/Insta ... x?realm=ED is a great place to gather ideas.

Yeah a bit like this I guess, for 5 players dungeons. But automated and without the need of addons would be perfect :D

Youfie wrote:I'm 100% against any kind of reward though, even repair bills, pots, gold or anything.

I don't really think rewards are necessary either, but it could increase motivation after a while, as it will get increasingly difficult to beat scores... But time will tell, if it's implemented.
Askental
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

by Netherfrost » Thu Feb 12, 2015 11:33 pm

The nefty thing with this idea is that it doesnt affect the game at all, it simply keeps track of things - Its up to the individual if he wish to be "affected" by it or not. Naturally this also means that the "nefty thing" isnt there aslong as there is a reward in the end. With regards to end reward, you have 2 options, 1) Its a smaller reward, it wont make a difference and it is simply destroying the blizzlike feel without any kind of actual "benefit". 2) Its a great reward and it changes the blizzlike feeling drastically and thus a bad idea.
Netherfrost
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

by Envy » Fri Feb 13, 2015 12:15 am

He never mentioned any kind of "great reward" just shitty potions & a few gold pieces.
Anyway, it's interesting, fun & it changes nothing in a bad way. If it can be done, it would be great.
Envy
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

Next

Return to Suggestions