(3) Timed Dungeons and Leaderboards!

We are always open to new ideas. Come here if you have a suggestion, we will discuss it together.

Re: (3) Timed Dungeons and Leaderboards!

by Netherfrost » Fri Feb 13, 2015 11:41 am

Im simply saying any kind of reward would be a bad idea.
Netherfrost
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

by Strife » Fri Feb 13, 2015 6:45 pm

As long as it doesn't ruin the blizzlike immersion, meaning there's some random npc in-game out of place standing in the middle of the city wearing tier 3 armor and an ashbringer with a silly name that lists the scores/gives out rewards. Should only be a website thing with no reward other than bragging rights, that will give people reason enough to compete.
Strife
Sergeant
Sergeant

by Sethzer » Mon Feb 16, 2015 2:08 am

Askental wrote:
Netherfrost wrote:Interesting idea. http://realmplayers.com/RaidStats/Insta ... x?realm=ED is a great place to gather ideas.

Yeah a bit like this I guess, for 5 players dungeons. But automated and without the need of addons would be perfect :D

Then you need the Nostalrius developers to implement this and I'm not really sure how they can gather data from this (guess it is possible).

We might be able to get this going on Realmplayers (I'm co-founder of the project together with the developer Dilatazu) but doubt the server can handle the amount of possible dungeon clears when we are already running raid logs for 4 different vanilla servers and now also TBC.
However I know Dilatazu has been in touch with Nostalrius developers and that something special might be in order to give Dilatazu access to data, however this way we will prolly only get data once a week so either we need manual data contribution inbetween or the possible "leaderboards" will only update once a week (again if the data can be extracted from the server itself)

Good idea though.
Sethzer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

by Askental » Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:41 pm

Sethzer wrote:
Askental wrote:
Netherfrost wrote:Interesting idea. http://realmplayers.com/RaidStats/Insta ... x?realm=ED is a great place to gather ideas.

Yeah a bit like this I guess, for 5 players dungeons. But automated and without the need of addons would be perfect :D

Then you need the Nostalrius developers to implement this and I'm not really sure how they can gather data from this (guess it is possible).

We might be able to get this going on Realmplayers (I'm co-founder of the project together with the developer Dilatazu) but doubt the server can handle the amount of possible dungeon clears when we are already running raid logs for 4 different vanilla servers and now also TBC.
However I know Dilatazu has been in touch with Nostalrius developers and that something special might be in order to give Dilatazu access to data, however this way we will prolly only get data once a week so either we need manual data contribution inbetween or the possible "leaderboards" will only update once a week (again if the data can be extracted from the server itself)

Good idea though.

I think the best way would be to do it on the server side, so we can rely on its anti-cheat system. Just something like logging when the group's dungeon id is created/first party member enters the dungeon and then have the last boss' death trigger the end of the timer. Compare this new time with top 10 entries and then save it, pushing the last score out of the leaderboard or discard the new time...

You could certainly do it on Realmplayers too, and to limit the data amount, you could set a threshold per dungeon so only scores below a certain time limit are sent to your server, filtering all regular/slow dungeon runs out. In this case there is no need to log everything, like you do for raids!

Another option would be to use a regular addon for this, but I'm not sure how to check that the data was not manipulated in any way before being sent. I'm curious about how you guys handle this for Realmplayers btw. Would be happy to discuss this further, as I can certainly help making an addon-website based solution myself. Last option would be to just record videos... But this means too much effort from the players and I'm pretty sure hardly anyone would participate...

Thanks for the reply!
Askental
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

by Sethzer » Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:42 pm

Askental wrote:I think the best way would be to do it on the server side, so we can rely on its anti-cheat system. Just something like logging when the group's dungeon id is created/first party member enters the dungeon and then have the last boss' death trigger the end of the timer. Compare this new time with top 10 entries and then save it, pushing the last score out of the leaderboard or discard the new time...

You could certainly do it on Realmplayers too, and to limit the data amount, you could set a threshold per dungeon so only scores below a certain time limit are sent to your server, filtering all regular/slow dungeon runs out. In this case there is no need to log everything, like you do for raids!

Another option would be to use a regular addon for this, but I'm not sure how to check that the data was not manipulated in any way before being sent. I'm curious about how you guys handle this for Realmplayers btw. Would be happy to discuss this further, as I can certainly help making an addon-website based solution myself. Last option would be to just record videos... But this means too much effort from the players and I'm pretty sure hardly anyone would participate...

Thanks for the reply!

We knew from the very beginning when we started with Realmplayers that it could be manipulated, but Dilatazu has worked on easy ways it can automatically find spoofed data and filter it out and seeing how much data we have for the feenix servers for the last 1 1/2 years it's pretty much 100% accurate.

Making a Top-25'ish list could work where the data of the dungeon run is recorded and sent but will be trashed if it doesn't end up in the top list.
Sethzer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

by Papanosta » Mon Feb 16, 2015 3:03 pm

Good idea.

No rewards.
Papanosta
Sergeant
Sergeant

by NerZhulen » Mon Feb 16, 2015 3:28 pm

Imo its a great idea, but the reward should be purely a first place on ladderboard. No items or anything else.
NerZhulen
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

by venven » Mon Feb 16, 2015 4:31 pm

Papanosta wrote:Good idea.

No rewards.

+1
Rogue IG & IRL.
venven
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

Previous

Return to Suggestions