Bonus honor for very long AVs

We are always open to new ideas. Come here if you have a suggestion, we will discuss it together.

Bonus honor for very long AVs

by Ryanp » Fri Feb 13, 2015 10:01 am

I think I've heard that on this server there will be some kind of plan to give players some incentive to do big open world fights in Southshore/Tauren in order to bring back this part of the original game. So if you're open to it I suggest doing something similar with AV.

People have become too wise to let an AV go on for hours and hours like they used to, they notice that they are essentially wasting their own time by trying to strive for victory. So on realms like Emerald Dream the players suggest loosing on purpose all the time so it looses the feeling of it being an epic war in which victory is the goal, and I think that's a real shame, and it's nothing like how it was originally. So I was wondering if there could be some kind of honor bonus for long AVs to work as incentive for getting people to not mind too much that the game is going on for a very long time.

I was thinking either a bonus for everyone currently in the game after every hour that passes, or making the victory bonus larger for every hour that passes. (the latter option might make some battles even more epic than they ever were in vanilla)

Either way I wouldn't want to see the honor bonus be so big that would outweigh the benefits of fast games, but enough that you'd occasionally see some of those really long battles like they had back in the day.
Ryanp
Private
Private

Re: Bonus honor for very long AVs

by Strife » Fri Feb 13, 2015 6:41 pm

Big +1.

I also would like to see something implemented in AV to give players an incentive to play AV like people used to back on retail (30+ alliance defending the bridge, epic zergfest for hours). AV today is played as a PVE rush game on every vanilla server (for maximum honor/rep per hr), which is nothing like how people played it back in blizzard's vanilla. Even after they nerfed AV there were still long battles, at least on my server very few battles were a 20 minute tower rush.

Either some sort of scaling honor bonus depending on the duration of the game as suggested, or significantly reduced diminishing returns on honor gain after killing the same player several times, which increases the reward for actually killing the enemy.
Strife
Sergeant
Sergeant

by Strife » Fri Feb 13, 2015 6:50 pm

While i'm at it, on most servers its only WSG played 90% of the time, which is probably because it needs less people. But it would be nice if there was some way to make people play AB a bit more (other than premades going for the fast 5 base win). It gets boring spamming 1 map for the rank grind, same goes for world pvp too - would be great if the honor gain wasn't so terrible everywhere except Warsong (because nobody plays anything else most of the time).
Strife
Sergeant
Sergeant

by Ryanp » Fri Feb 13, 2015 9:48 pm

Strife wrote:While i'm at it, on most servers its only WSG played 90% of the time, which is probably because it needs less people. But it would be nice if there was some way to make people play AB a bit more (other than premades going for the fast 5 base win). It gets boring spamming 1 map for the rank grind, same goes for world pvp too - would be great if the honor gain wasn't so terrible everywhere except Warsong (because nobody plays anything else most of the time).

On Feenix they are only able to queue for one BG at a time instead of all three due to an unfixed glitch, so everyone only signs up for WSG because the server population is low compared to retail WoW. If it was fixed people would change it up often to avoid boredom. But at the moment pretty much the only way they can coordinate any other BGs starting is from double honor weekends or premades.

Other private servers have much fewer players so only playing WSG makes sense.

I assume the population here will be big enough to have people playing all three as long as that glitch doesn't exist here too. If people aren't playing the others though I'd like to see some method of motivating people to play them other than just the double honor weekend.
Ryanp
Private
Private

by short » Sat Feb 14, 2015 3:01 pm

Big +1 even though it is not truly blizzlike.
short
Tester

by MundlMundl » Sat Feb 14, 2015 6:40 pm

Sounds like a decent idea, although I'd guess it'll be tough to balance the bonus honor over time.

I don't think reduced diminishing returns on repeated kills is the perfect answer because that just encourages a mindless zerk and other objectives of AV would be left behind.

I'd rather propose focussing on higher rewards for turn-ins (i.e. honor gain for storm crystals, armor scraps, ... in addition to +rep), which also encourage fights between players, but shifts the focus on other objectives than mindless circles of respawning ---> mid/bridge ---> die ---> repeat.

Also, just my 0.02 $
MundlMundl
Private
Private

by Ryanp » Sat Feb 14, 2015 8:03 pm

MundlMundl wrote:Sounds like a decent idea, although I'd guess it'll be tough to balance the bonus honor over time.

I don't think reduced diminishing returns on repeated kills is the perfect answer because that just encourages a mindless zerk and other objectives of AV would be left behind.

I'd rather propose focussing on higher rewards for turn-ins (i.e. honor gain for storm crystals, armor scraps, ... in addition to +rep), which also encourage fights between players, but shifts the focus on other objectives than mindless circles of respawning ---> mid/bridge ---> die ---> repeat.

Also, just my 0.02 $

I like this Idea a lot! I think this combined with the victory bonus going up a smallish amount per hour or per half hour is the best solution because both encourage accomplishing things rather than just being in the game for a long time.
Ryanp
Private
Private

by mrmr » Sun Feb 15, 2015 10:25 am

Bonus rep/honor for recapping objectives (like saving towers/bunker and/or gy) after 1h.

This might lead to abusing tho....
I'm not root of myself.
mrmr
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

by Youfie » Sun Feb 15, 2015 8:23 pm

I'm not too fan of this idea, I don't think breaking the moto of Nostalrius to bring custom features is something the staff wants.

Alterac needs a large number of players to be played. It doesn't need any more incentives. On most private servers there aren't enough players so the BG is just left behind. If there isn't enough population, AV won't be played, and if there is, it will definitely be. Artificially tweak AV into something it wasn't on retail doesn't sound appealing.

Alterac reputation is has the most profitable time spent / quality of rewards ratio, so basically everyone will be grinding AV rep before anything else.

It's also an excellent way to grind your factions reputations (especially Orgrimmar / Ironforge). And it's probably the best way to earn AV rp., faction rep. & honor at the same time.

Alterac will be the first place everyone will bring their alts freshly leveled to 60 ; it's also where everyone generally heads to test a new PvP spec on random targets.

Alterac is already so cool on so many levels in terms of gameplay, there will always be players willing to do it, provided the population is high enough. I don't really see the point to make it the most profitable BG in terms of honor gains on top of that.
Youfie
Knight-Lieutenant
Knight-Lieutenant

by Strife » Sun Feb 15, 2015 9:38 pm

Nothing was said about making it the highest honor gain, a balance should be struck so it isn't overwhelmingly better to just do warsong 99% of the time, despite the fact it only needs 10 players on each side.

Also even on previous servers I've played on with 2k players online it's still hard to fill AV. Maybe a game starts and you have 15-25 on each side or worse not enough players on one side and the battle closes in 5 minutes. There's clearly a lack of incentive to do the BG, even more so after reaching exalted.

Dunno, I just think it would be fun to play more than 1 map personally. Population alone won't fix that, there will just be more than 1 warsong game at a time and maybe half an AB (unless the warsong queue isn't popping).

Btw we can throw the term blizzlike out the window, because there's plenty of other things in the server that don't follow the exact pattern the real game did, from patch 1.0. Its a close-minded way of thinking, why not improve the game in area's that don't modify the original experience. I don't see how turning AV into 40v40 turtle zergfests constitutes a non-retail-like vanilla experience, when that's exactly how the game was played before we knew better.
Strife
Sergeant
Sergeant

Next

Return to Suggestions