Improving visual quality with 0 performance loss

Discussion forum related to PVP Server.

Improving visual quality with 0 performance loss

by Rekdek » Sat Feb 21, 2015 6:45 am

I'm almost positive that this is allowed on Nostalrius as it is on other Vanilla servers, and even Retail.

The program is called SweetFX. It is basically a graphical quality enhancer that adds various (toggle-able) effects that make Vanilla WoW truly wonderful such as Bloom, Dither, alternative SMAA or FXAA and many others. You can customize the base .ini file, or you can use presets that other users have made.

Download link:
http://www.guru3d.com/files-tags/sweetfx-download.html

Presets:
http://sfx.thelazy.net/games/game/42/

On top of this, Nvidia and AMD users can go into their control panel. For Nvidia users it's
Nvidia Control panel>Display>Adjust desktop color settings and under the section "3." You'll see Digital Vibrance, turn that up anywhere from 55-60% depending on your current color scheme (this setting effects your overall color scheme so every game will look more vibrant).

In-game gamma setting should be tweaked according to your preference as the default setting is just too bright. Follow these steps and you'll find yourself with a more vibrant and richly colored environment providing you with a more immerse Vanilla WoW experience with zero performance loss.
Rekdek
Private
Private

Re: Improving visual quality with 0 performance loss

by LeBucke » Sat Feb 21, 2015 9:33 am

Sounds really nice! Maybe you could upload some pictures so we can see some examples? :) Would be cool!
LeBucke
Tester

by Patience » Sat Feb 21, 2015 12:09 pm

Could you make a guide on how to? I already fail at the next step after downloading.
It says "
1) Extract or copy all the files into the directory of a game exe (keeping the file structure intact)."

Where do I find the game exe?

Also, speak to me like you would explain to a 5 year old - I don't know shit like this :)

Thanks!
Patience <RAID IS DEAD>
http://rid-nostalrius.wowlaunch.com/
Still recruiting exceptional people!
Patience
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

by Mackee95 » Sat Feb 21, 2015 1:13 pm

Patience wrote:Could you make a guide on how to? I already fail at the next step after downloading.
It says "
1) Extract or copy all the files into the directory of a game exe (keeping the file structure intact)."

Where do I find the game exe?

Also, speak to me like you would explain to a 5 year old - I don't know shit like this :)

Thanks!

- Let's say that you own this nice car, alright ...

- To drive the car you'll need this awzome key !

- If you're with me so far, you're doing great !! :D

- Now, if you get how this works, here comes the tricky part... Programs are like cars - you need a "key" to open them ! However, these keys is called .exe (meaning "executable file").

- When you are not using your car, you tend to ALWAYS hide your key inside this box (so that no bad-guy will find your key and take away your precious car :( ):

- This box is now the directory of your key, or as for a program - this would be the directory of your .exe file !
- So, to make this even clearer, I'll add another picture + a 1, 2, 3 step explanation x) ...

1. Go to your box/folder (where your key/.exe is)
2. Use your key/.exe
3. Drive your bad ass car/program !!

- The blue arrow points at the .exe file (the key), which lies in the directory (the box) !!

- Finally... The answer to your question is: Extract or copy all the files into the directory (the box) - the same place as where your .exe file (key) is !!
Click on image for <Blacklisted> website !
Mackee95
Grunt
Grunt

by Donovan » Sat Feb 21, 2015 1:28 pm

I've been able to get this to work with retail WoW but no dice with the vanilla client, just because I'm curious, can anyone post it active on a vanilla client?
Donovan
Tester

by Patience » Sat Feb 21, 2015 2:12 pm

Mackee, you are a hero!

I might actually get it to work now. I seriously had no idea what wow.exe was... xD
Patience <RAID IS DEAD>
http://rid-nostalrius.wowlaunch.com/
Still recruiting exceptional people!
Patience
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

by Rekdek » Sat Feb 21, 2015 2:24 pm

I knew i left something out >.<

As a sidenote: SweetFX works with almost any game (like mentioned above, its a simple drag and drop into where your WoW.exe is and boom it works)
Rekdek
Private
Private

by Mackee95 » Sat Feb 21, 2015 2:31 pm

Patience wrote:Mackee, you are a hero!

I might actually get it to work now. I seriously had no idea what wow.exe was... xD

Glad to help out, man !! x''')
Click on image for <Blacklisted> website !
Mackee95
Grunt
Grunt

by Letokteren » Sat Feb 21, 2015 7:44 pm

Donovan wrote:I've been able to get this to work with retail WoW but no dice with the vanilla client, just because I'm curious, can anyone post it active on a vanilla client?

I had some issues aswell, but setting multisampling to 24x24x1 solved it.
Letokteren
Grunt
Grunt

by Liah » Sat Feb 21, 2015 11:43 pm

http://sfx.thelazy.net/games/screenshot/7785/
That's the sweetfx preset I use.
Mongrelism is THE great evil of our time, as we're down-breeding toward the lowest common denominator. -Ben Garrison
Liah
Grunt
Grunt

Next

Return to PVP Server Specific discussion