Nostalrius Ends

Discussion forum related to PVP Server.

Nostalrius Ends

by heradura » Thu Apr 07, 2016 8:48 am

Hi. I'm some shitter named Doode. I, like so many of us, started playing on Nostalrius as soon as it launched, with WOD and its freshly-pinched SELFIE camera leaving a taste not unlike shit left in my mouth.

My first instinct was to hop back onto Gamer District, because I am the definition of a Wrath baby (at least I started playing BEFORE LK was down...) and I'm sure before Nost that we all considered "home" to be where we started. I'd wager that for the majority of us here, that wasn't vanilla--but it sure as hell has become so. This server showed me that the people who dismiss the longing for vanilla, BC, etc, as rose-tinted glasses are simply assholes speaking out of turn at best, and twattish corporate bootlicking faggots of the highest degree at the worst.

Playing Nostalrius, I felt as if I were being sucked into my position in the world from forces beyond my control, both story-wise and socially. I never intended to raid. I never did it on live, first from pure hardware restrictions (finally tanking HoR on a good computer made it completely trivial), then to that shocking feeling of inadequacy you get when you're trying to accomplish something above the bare minimum without any social structure to support it. Some random drunk night in UBRS led to me being recruited to Gentlemens Club and doing some actual progression raiding. Not cutting edge by any means, but in a certain way, to me, it was. Of course, that guild ended in the way it did and our GC diaspora ended up mostly in Convulsion and Reign, but... I still look back on everything fondly, and I've formed more valuable memories here on Nostalrius than I ever did in retail.

But maybe that's just nostalgia talking, right?

So, I ask: What is your story? What drove you away from Blizzard however long ago, and how did it lead you to Nostalrius? What unexpected paths did you find yourself traversing?
heradura
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Re: Nostalrius Ends

by Xaverius » Thu Apr 07, 2016 9:20 am

Well I started playing free TBC when retail had wotlk, then I kept playing TBC, then some asswipes caused my server to die, so I was triyng perverse and decadent things like cataclysm and WoD, and then I found this erver and saw there's AQ opening soon, so cool, let's jump in, and three weeks after that it shuts down.

It isn't exactly fair, you know.
Freedom was our highest good
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6MGhMCQbgk
It's not us to go under the yoke.
We. Will. NOT! BOW!
Xaverius
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

by Lifealert » Thu Apr 07, 2016 2:11 pm

Because cataclysm killed my server, wpvp was officially dead, and all the little things that made the game special were stripped away in order to appeal to a wider audience.
Lifealert
Stone Guard
Stone Guard

by PanTheSatyr » Thu Apr 07, 2016 2:47 pm

I played from Open Beta through the first couple of weeks of TBC and got burned out after an altogether unhealthy addiction. I jumped back in for WotLK but left before Cata due to a new job and life stuff. I was completely uninterested in playing WoW ever again until I discovered the private server scene. I was on Feenix for a while but disliked their imperfect mechanics and shitty community. When I heard the Nost hoopla, I jumped onboard and have loved the ride! I am sorry to see it go.
PvP Realm
Malachic - Lv 60 Mage (Frost)
Malapriest - Lv 60 Priest (Heals)
Malahunt - Lv 60 Hunter (Bang/Twang)

♫ Dance with Pan and Drink with Bacchus! ♫
PanTheSatyr
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

by heradura » Fri Apr 08, 2016 10:04 am

Lifealert wrote:Because cataclysm killed my server, wpvp was officially dead, and all the little things that made the game special were stripped away in order to appeal to a wider audience.

You know, it's funny--having been brought up in WoW on 3.3, the joke heroics meme stuck with me, and tanking launch Cata heroics was the most fun I had had up until that point. I knew Hammer of Justice existed for a reason, and shit, I better put it on an easy to reach key now. I still hate the fuck out of Holy Power and the way Blizzard continues to drag Ret behind a truck like a faggot in Texas, but that was kind of my first awakening as to how this game works on the bigger scale.
heradura
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Return to PVP Server Specific discussion