"Adds X <elemental> damage to your melee attacks."

Discussion forum related to PVP Server.

"Adds X <elemental> damage to your melee attacks."

by Keftenk » Wed Jan 07, 2015 12:52 pm

In Vanilla it was "BlizzLike" and intended that these items scaled with spell power. Sadly, not many knew exactly how well they scaled. Will these items be "nerfed" or "fixed" on Nostalrius or will we be free to abuse them and break 2k dps on crap like Patchwerk and 1-to-2 shot everyone in BGs?

I recall this was a rampant issue on the Feenix servers even at a time until their Dev's stepped in and "fixed it". I understand that this goes against BlizzLike and what Vanilla originally had constructed, but I think abusing these effects will make content and pretty much everything else trivial on the server.

Thoughts?
Keftenk
Stone Guard
Stone Guard

Re: "Adds X <elemental> damage to your melee attacks."

by Netherfrost » Wed Jan 07, 2015 4:30 pm

This issue definately has to be looked at.

The items which it affects are "Blazefury Medallion, Storm Gauntlets, Fiery Retributer, Fiery Plate Gauntlets and Neretzek, The Blood Drinker".

In general the discussion is that, so far, no one has been able to find proper sources to document for the blizzlike scaling, however as far as options for scaling, there are only two.
First, it should scale the same as an instant-cast spell should: 1.5 / 3.5 = 42.8%. Second, it should not scale at all. Can we not all agree that 42.8% scaling is too excessive, and even if this is how it was on retail, it was likely an oversight on their part? Surely rogues, warriors, hunters, etc. are not intended to stack spell power?

EDIT: I must note that there are times when departing from Blizzard's implementation is appropriate.
This fact is precisely why we should use the term blizzlike. Meaning, like Blizzard's implementation but not necessarily identical - I'd strongly advice against implementing these items with their vanilla scaling. Additionally I am yet to see a source saying that they are infact supposed to scale with SP.
Last edited by Netherfrost on Wed Jan 07, 2015 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Netherfrost
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

by Hatson » Wed Jan 07, 2015 5:00 pm

I'd prefer to have them as they were in Vanilla. But if they become a blatant abuse and clearly overpowered to the point where it can be easily broken. Then they can be changed in scaling or nerfed, or removed, or whatever you think the best solution is.

I just feel that no such changes should be made to things that aren't an issue already. Yes, I am aware they can become one, but.. let's just see what happens.
And yes, I played on Feenix with this. I know how it was.
The White Blacksmith.
Sometimes I stream stuff: http://www.twitch.tv/travallama/
Hatson
Stone Guard
Stone Guard

by Netherfrost » Wed Jan 07, 2015 5:20 pm

Wait.. what?

Blizzard didnt intend this sort of use for the items (hence they were changed once they saw their effect). You cant make everything legal and just wait for people to commit the 'crimes' either. The issue part shouldn't really surprise you, given that you already have experience in the matter? It's not like 1.12 is a new thing for us, people are already aware of what is an issue and what isnt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZC5YeqkNxA
Now lets continue to assume it wont be an issue, I'm well aware this example is very hightlighted, but I'd guess we all can agree 2.8k dps is slightly overboard (was done with instant attack scaling, 42,8% (see my 1st comment))
Last edited by Netherfrost on Wed Jan 07, 2015 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Netherfrost
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

by mrmr » Wed Jan 07, 2015 5:34 pm

Netherfrost wrote:In general the discussion is that, so far, no one has been able to find proper sources to document for the blizzlike scaling, however as far as options for scaling, there are only two.
First, it should scale the same as an instant-cast spell should: 1.5 / 3.5 = 42.8%. Second, it should not scale at all. Can we not all agree that 42.8% scaling is too excessive, and even if this is how it was on retail, it was likely an oversight on their part? Surely rogues, warriors, hunters, etc. are not intended to stack spell power?

You forget the third hypothesis.
Cannot items scale on a per-item base?
I'm not root of myself.
mrmr
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

by mbf » Wed Jan 07, 2015 5:40 pm

Never played on vanilla retail and nobody cares about players opinion in that case i guess.
I didnt found any precise prove for Blazefury Medallion, Storm Gauntlets, Fiery Retributer, Fiery Plate Gauntlets. Should it scale or not? Nobody knows exactly. There is no any videos on youtube/wmovies about fire rogues/warriors/paladins. It inderictly point that shouldnt scale or thats is so useless that no1 used it. Or prob every1 who played on vanilla nubz and need l2play (unlikely).
There is some other info:
Fiery Plate Gauntlets http://www.wowhead.com/item=12631#comments
Asmodoues on 2010/02/03 (Patch 3.3.2)
I tested this, and SP is not added to the 4 damage in any way.

QFred on 2010/06/14 (Patch 3.3.3)
The bonus spell damage (before SP existed) used to matter on the early early days of Vanilla. These kind of procs, like the one on Essence of Pure Flame, used to pack quite a punch because improved with spell damage. On a patch, still in Vanilla, they were deemed too powerful and so they removed the improve with spell damage.

Fiery Retributer http://www.wowhead.com/item=19968#comments
By Cake (232 – 2) on 2008/04/19 (Patch 2.4.1)
Does spell power increase the fire damage done on melee hits? :>

BoJlk on 2008/06/26 (Patch 2.4.2)
I will not increase the fire damage on your attacks. If this is tanking no point increasing the fire damage if you get threat on Holy spell damage, and no matter how much spell power you have it won't increase the 2 fire damage that much.

Storm Gauntlets http://www.wowhead.com/item=12632#comments
By raikou (266 – 3) on 2009/04/04 (Patch 3.0.9)
Just to clarify a few things:

As of the current patch these gloves do NOT eat the stormstrike debuff.
Spell Damage has no effect on the Lightning Strike proc.

By Cake (232 – 2) on 2008/04/08 (Patch 2.4.1)
Does spelldmg increase the 3 lightning damage done on melee attacks? :)

Airyn on 2008/05/29 (Patch 2.4.2)
Yes, they do making these a great asset to Shockadins.

Chillin on 2008/06/09 (Patch 2.4.2)
yeah this goes well with fiery retributer also cuz bam bam you crit alot and these can dish out alot of damage

Blazefury Medallion http://www.wowhead.com/item=17111#comments
By Siralex (3,404 – 12·31) on 2008/02/04 (Patch 2.3.3)
I have actually tested this necklace while on a PTR and noticed the fire damage increases by about 50% of your spell damage. I personally was getting 646 regular hits with it and 969 crits (untrinketed). This could possibly be a great item for casters in Arenas.

As u can see different ppls telling different things and also there is no comments from 1.12 or earlier.

Imo no need to implent scaling with spd for Blazefury Medallion, Storm Gauntlets, Fiery Retributer, Fiery Plate Gauntlets even it should be. You say blizzlike? Ok, then why no1 used it on retail? Dont do perversion from vanilla, like fire rogues/paladins/warrs/shamans in cloth items...

I want to inpute 1 more thing. Look at this item - Darkmoon Card: Maelstrom (http://www.wowwiki.com/Darkmoon_Card:_M ... did=234398). Based on the same logic if Blazefury Medallion, Storm Gauntlets, Fiery Retributer, Fiery Plate Gauntlets scaling with spd like instant strike that should scale on 43% too. But its not
This trinket has about 1.5% proc chance, and it procs from every melee strike, including feral attacks (making this very useful for feral Druids) and free strikes. It is known to crit, but not being effected by +spell damage

Neretzek, The Blood Drinker http://www.wowhead.com/item=21856#comments
forget about this weapon in this thread. Because proc of this unusual like proc of Ancient Hakkari Manslayer (it scales 200% too if we can believe this comments).
mbf
Grunt
Grunt

by Netherfrost » Wed Jan 07, 2015 7:00 pm

Arguing over custom % is pointless since you cant make a good estimation...
You shouldnt even bother trying to make an estimation if you arentsure whether it scaled or not in the first place. (See missing citations and sources).
Netherfrost
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

by mbf » Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:27 pm

First of all i didnt argued...read a text
And if u want help better not to criticize, find moar info then
mbf
Grunt
Grunt

by Netherfrost » Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:38 pm

My comment wasnt directed to you, Mbf.
Netherfrost
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

by Keftenk » Thu Jan 08, 2015 12:38 am

I mean. If these items go untouched on Nostarlius. I'll definitely be sporting as many as these as possible on a Rogue, running around in robes. 1 and 2 shot everyone and decimating raid bosses. I might get 1 or 2 shot as well, but... Why wouldn't I use it?
Keftenk
Stone Guard
Stone Guard

Next

Return to PVP Server Specific discussion