Addon for filtering out the gold sellers?

Addon for filtering out the gold sellers?

by Winsane » Fri May 22, 2015 1:47 am

The gold seller spam is getting quite annoying, does anyone know an addon that lets you automatically filter out any message containing a certain phrase?

Or better yet, is it possible for the server admins to automatically shadowban the gold sellers? As in, add a thing that automatically mutes a player that says a certain phrase without letting them know they have been muted. Just let them keep spamming without realizing their messages aren't getting through.
Winsane
Tester

Re: Addon for filtering out the gold sellers?

by AverageJoe » Fri May 22, 2015 2:05 am

Not aware of any addons to block gold sellers, but the GMs have discussed the possibility of muting characters who spam certain phrases but the problem is gold sellers will always come up with a way to bypass the filter, inventing new ways of getting their site/advertisement out there. So if the staff devised an algorithm that auto-muted a ton of different phrase possibilities, there's a good chance a lot of false positives could happen and legit players who don't sell gold could be auto-muted.

See this thread for further explanation.
AverageJoe
Legionnaire
Legionnaire

by Winsane » Fri May 22, 2015 3:23 am

That's the beauty of shadow bans (if such a thing is even possible on a wow server). They wouldn't know that they have been muted. They would need to constantly check the chat on another account to make sure their messages get through, instead of instantly knowing they need to log on a new account by getting a "you have been banned" message.

As an example, Reddit uses shadow bans to very effectively deal with bots and spammers. When you get a shadow ban you can use the site just like normal and make all the posts and replies you want, but they won't show up for anyone except yourself.
Winsane
Tester

by Mopar » Fri May 22, 2015 6:22 am

This is exactly what my addon SpamThrottle is designed to do (among other things).
https://forum.nostalrius.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=5350
The pizza level in my bloodstream is dangerously low.
Mopar
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

by Winsane » Sun May 24, 2015 5:45 pm

Mopar wrote:This is exactly what my addon SpamThrottle is designed to do (among other things).
https://forum.nostalrius.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=5350

I'll definitely check this out.
Winsane
Tester

Return to Addons & macros