SpamThrottle: Vanilla addon to reduce chat spam

Re: SpamThrottle: Vanilla addon to reduce chat spam

by Mopar » Tue Jun 02, 2015 6:58 am

No it does not - and in fact it does not filter whispers, only chat channels and /y (yell) messages. In neither case does the sender have any idea that their message was filtered.

It would be very easy for me to add /s (say) and /w (whisper) messages to be filtered by the way, but it requires some code changes. And in fact it would be pretty easy to make it respond to someone whispering you that their message was ignored by SpamThrottle (and why).

Let me know if you would find this useful. I'd probably just make it an option that you could toggle on as in most cases /w and /s are not used for spamming. Of course the same filtering rules would apply, that is you could identify keywords as well as players to filter on.
The pizza level in my bloodstream is dangerously low.
Mopar
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

by octav3k » Tue Jun 02, 2015 4:13 pm

I'm a fan of the default Blizzard stuff and I think it would be great if you could implement that, at least for the characters that are on the permanent ignore list. Also, I do want others to know that I'm ignoring them (so they don't talk to me over and over and think I'm not replying) - saves them time and makes it clear what my opinion on them is.
octav3k
Tester

by DEDRICK » Tue Jun 02, 2015 4:42 pm

Probably against the ToU but...

Make it so anything blocked in any channel reverses the spam towards the spammer. Anyone running the addon would send a whisper to the spammer saying they were spamblocked. The torrent of whispers would surely make them stfu, their chat channels would pretty much be useless otherwise
Cachecow - Tauren Warrior
DEDRICK
Sergeant
Sergeant

by Mopar » Thu Jun 04, 2015 6:13 am

Interesting suggestion, but as you mention would be violating ToU, so I won't add that in.

But I have decided to add in a few new capabilities based on suggestions here, so look for an update soon. I'll post about it in this thread, and also edit my original post to use the new location. It will be version 1.3. When I post the update I'll list the changes made in this thread. It will include most of the suggestions so far, plus removing some unused hooks I had in there (for moderated bans, an unimplemented idea), and a performance tweak.
Mopar
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

by Aunstic » Thu Jun 04, 2015 6:20 am

DEDRICK wrote:Probably against the ToU but...

Make it so anything blocked in any channel reverses the spam towards the spammer. Anyone running the addon would send a whisper to the spammer saying they were spamblocked. The torrent of whispers would surely make them stfu, their chat channels would pretty much be useless otherwise

Reversing the spam can allow the offensive player to in-game mute you. If you send too many messages at once, you will get a temporary mute for 30 seconds (possibly incremented too). This would be a good suggestion, but it leaves room for abuse if there's no safeguard against it like x amount of messages per second/minute/hour.

Still, reflection of spam is a good idea if it were viable.
Aunstic
Knight-Lieutenant
Knight-Lieutenant

by Arael » Fri Jun 05, 2015 6:02 pm

Can this addon allow ONLY sentences containing certain words like "BRD"? (It would allow only sentences containing the word BRD to be displayed)
Arael
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

by Mopar » Sun Jun 14, 2015 7:43 am

I have published the new 1.3 version of SpamThrottle. The first post has been edited to have the link. But here it is in case you don't want to go back to page 1!

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/678 ... le_1.3.zip

The main changes are the ability to block /s (say) and /w (whisper) message, with an optional auto-reply on whisper with a polite message that says their whisper has been blocked by an addon. Note that I do NOT recommend using this, as it kind of defeats the purpose. But it was requested, so there it is. If you want to change the message, just edit line 34 of localization.lua file. I don't particularly care if you want to be less polite than I am.

Be sure to go to the config page using /st or /spamthrottle to enable or disable /s and /w filtering as per your preference. You can enable auto-reply if you wish; it's disabled by default.

@Arael - no, what you are suggesting is a whitelist. I haven't put anything like that in the addon yet.
Mopar
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

by cofko » Wed Jun 17, 2015 8:54 am

There seems to be some incompatibility with prat. With ST enabled it only shows all chats in general tab. If i disable ST it properly shows the chats in tabs i want to have them.
cofko
Grunt
Grunt

by Mopar » Wed Jun 17, 2015 3:59 pm

Yeah this is an aspect of the original vanilla way of creating chat handlers. The APIs were modified in 2.0 and it's possible to make it compatible there, but not in vanilla, because of the way you have to hook the chat handling function. Sorry about that, just have to choose between the two.
Mopar
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

by Milton3450 » Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:03 pm

Hey, really good addon. It removed the annoying goldseller spam. However, I seem to have difficulty with general chat and trade chat after I installed the addon. Like if i do /2 or /1 in Stormwind the text I typed just remains /1 or /2. It doesn't switch to trade or general chat after I press spacebar. Any ideas?
Milton3450
Sergeant
Sergeant

PreviousNext

Return to Addons & macros