Is the priest a struggle?

Discussion forum related to PVE Server.

Is the priest a struggle?

by mike1097 » Mon Oct 05, 2015 6:59 am

Hey Guys,

after struggeling my warrior to 60 on the pvp realm and having no fun with it in the endgame I'd like to reroll at the PvE realm.

I thought about playing a healer because I don't like DPS and I don't want to play a warrior again.

So I wanted to roll a priest, but I have absolutely no Idea how it is to be a priest.
My question now is, is it a struggle to level up as priest?
What is about the endgame? Do I have a chance to kill mobs at my level easily even as a healer?

If it's too much struggle I think I gonna reroll another class.
"Drunhall"
60 Protection Warrior
<It burns when I PvP>

Alliance
Nostalrius Begins PvP
mike1097
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Re: Is the priest a struggle?

by VideoGameKarp » Mon Oct 05, 2015 8:25 am

Your best friend is a wand while leveling.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZKYL2 ... T_pdjT9zEg
twitch.tv/videogamekarp
Horde
Druid lvl 23(Server First Druid 20)|Rogue lvl 11|Shaman lvl 10|Priest lvl 9|Warlock lvl 8
Alliance
Hunter lvl 16|Paladin lvl 12|Mage lvl 10|Warrior lvl 8
VideoGameKarp
Sergeant
Sergeant

by deathjester696 » Mon Oct 05, 2015 9:14 am

mike1097 wrote:Hey Guys,

after struggeling my warrior to 60 on the pvp realm and having no fun with it in the endgame I'd like to reroll at the PvE realm.

I thought about playing a healer because I don't like DPS and I don't want to play a warrior again.

So I wanted to roll a priest, but I have absolutely no Idea how it is to be a priest.
My question now is, is it a struggle to level up as priest?
What is about the endgame? Do I have a chance to kill mobs at my level easily even as a healer?

If it's too much struggle I think I gonna reroll another class.

Not at all. Spec improved wands. Leveling a priest is fairly easy as long as you keep the wand relevant. All downhill after you get shadowform as well. Respec to a heal oriented spec at 60.

It is much easier than leveling your warrior was. :)
deathjester696
Grunt
Grunt

by mike1097 » Mon Oct 05, 2015 9:33 am

Thanks guys, I'm really hyped now!
"Drunhall"
60 Protection Warrior
<It burns when I PvP>

Alliance
Nostalrius Begins PvP
mike1097
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

by Kazy » Mon Oct 05, 2015 10:50 am

Yeah... Always level in a DPS spec, because tank/heal spec SUCKS, unless you have a dedicated group of people leveling together.
Once you hit 60, you should switch to whatever spec you want to raid with, and then do dungeons untill you are blue in the face and have the preraid gear you need and then start the raids.
Kazy
Sergeant
Sergeant

by Soulxlock » Mon Oct 05, 2015 11:21 am

I played a dwarf priest in vanilla wow and won't play one again because of the following reasons.

1. Generally as a healer you can never go AFK or on follow during raids. It could lead to a wipe. A rogue or mage going afk? Hardly leading to a wipe. So as a priest you always have full duty during raids while DPS can chill during trash and only have to be up for bosses. DPS slagging during trash gets hardly noticed in a 40 man raid.
  2. No dual specs in vanilla wow. This means grinding mobs for money as holy/disc priest is a pain in the ass, believe me. While DPS classes can live perfectly fine with 1 spec, as a healer you're basically fucked. Yes, you will always be in high demand for raids but farming is a chore and takes forever. Respeccing everytime is not really an option cuz it soon costs a small fortune.
  3. You suck in solo PVP but on a PVE server that's negligible I guess.

For these reasons I personally wouldn't go with a healing class in general again. As far as leveling goes it's ok once you get shadowform, until then it's slowish.
Soulxlock
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

by Stinklines » Mon Oct 05, 2015 1:03 pm

I've played and leveled multiple priests and have endgame raided all the content in Vanilla & BC as a healing priest.
I plan on re-rolling on the PvE server and I REALLY want to roll a warrior and Tank the endgame for a change.
I'm thinking I've just found a leveling partner here...
BTW, leveling a priest I find quite easy. Only thing is when you have to solo an elite mob above your level, oh that and the constant drinking.
Stinklines
Tester

by TOVAR » Mon Oct 05, 2015 1:17 pm

Soulxlock wrote:I played a dwarf priest in vanilla wow and won't play one again because of the following reasons.

1. Generally as a healer you can never go AFK or on follow during raids. It could lead to a wipe. A rogue or mage going afk? Hardly leading to a wipe. So as a priest you always have full duty during raids while DPS can chill during trash and only have to be up for bosses. DPS slagging during trash gets hardly noticed in a 40 man raid.
  2. No dual specs in vanilla wow. This means grinding mobs for money as holy/disc priest is a pain in the ass, believe me. While DPS classes can live perfectly fine with 1 spec, as a healer you're basically fucked. Yes, you will always be in high demand for raids but farming is a chore and takes forever. Respeccing everytime is not really an option cuz it soon costs a small fortune.
  3. You suck in solo PVP but on a PVE server that's negligible I guess.

For these reasons I personally wouldn't go with a healing class in general again. As far as leveling goes it's ok once you get shadowform, until then it's slowish.

1. Sadly, all that is true. Except if your RaidLeader is an Recount maniac and kicks you out if your DPS drops under certain mean value (happened to my friend). Then good luck trying to get in raid again (RL was also GM so, he rather PUG-ed one rogue than inviting my friend). I, as a priest, on the contrary, went places. Was invited in dungeon runs/miniraids (the 15-men UBRS 'raid' was fun :) ), sometimes got invited in instances that were way above my head (was too low level).
2. Also true. My guild REQUESTED me to respec to full holy. Which meant i was the no.1 healer but couldnt farm for crap. It was so bad, that I rolled a hunter, leveled it to 60 ASAP in order to be able to farm for consumables. Back in vanilla you were expected to bring pots with you in raids.

Also, never had problems healing 5-men's while shadow specced. A bunch of +healing/+SPI/+xxmana/5 sec (switch) made things easier for me.
So, if you like being a healer, go for it, healers are always in demand, no problems joining dungeon runs and gear up in pre-raid BiS, but be aware of the limitations.
“No good deed goes unpunished.” - Oscar Wilde
Thank you Nostalrius!
TOVAR
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

by lindz » Mon Oct 05, 2015 2:02 pm

Spirit tap is also your friend. If it's not your first five, make it your second five. That plus high spirit does wonders for a solo priest.
<Voltaic> - alliance weekend raiding on Nostalrius PvE
lindz
Sergeant
Sergeant

by Soulxlock » Mon Oct 05, 2015 2:38 pm

Like TOVAR mentioned healers are always in demand, so while it's a high demand task it's also high reward. If you like saving people and healing in general then go for it, but keep in mind the limitations.

I was in a hardcore raiding guild back then and we raided at least 5 days per week. In the end I burned out after we wiped in Naxx on 4 horsemen again and again. Needless to say it was mandatory back then to bring consumeables for every raid. Farming those consumeables as a holy/disc priest was a pain in the ass. Had Blizz introduced dual spec earlier, I might have stayed around longer. Or maybe NOT because 4 horsemen were really tough as nails ;).
Soulxlock
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

Next

Return to PVE Server Specific discussion