Is the priest a struggle?

Discussion forum related to PVE Server.

Re: Is the priest a struggle?

by Ziphr » Mon Oct 05, 2015 4:31 pm

I leveled a rogue, druid, priest, and warrior to 60 in vanilla

I cant comment on rogue because it was my first toon, druid was a leveling beast(pun intended), I leveled my warrior mostly tanking dungeons(needed to learn to tank like a boss) which was a blast... the priest however...

I mean, she could kill stuff just fine eventually.. tbh I dont remember specifically why I hated it- except one instance in stv where killing trolls was taking forever... but I remember it as being excrutiatingly slow, and drinking alot. Also my character had to drink alot for mana..

I think I ended up healing dungeons for alot of it

That said, I am debating leveling a priest as well, but I may be just a masochist xD
Ziphr
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

by Bartolo » Mon Oct 05, 2015 7:10 pm

For me, in my first 30 levels I could take 2-3 mobs easier with my priest than with my rogue.

Now that the rogue has poisons is going better, but I can't take 2 mobs at the same time without suffering, too many miss hits and I must interrupt the npcs.

The Priest I can PW:S and dps/wand enemies to dead, regardless of most debuffs. Or PW:S then flee.

I have played lock and priest for 7+ years in retail.
Bartolo
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

by hakuyi » Wed Oct 07, 2015 7:08 am

I leveled a priest to 60 recently. I must say it was a very fun experience and pretty easy. When you get mind flay, your spell rotation on mobs should be mind blast--> shadow word: pain --> run back until global cd runs out --> mind flay (x2). By this time the mob will have reached you. Now you can decide to start wanding the mob to death or use another mind blast after a few more seconds. Make use of your vampiric plague more when you get access to inner focus talent (at about lvl 50) combined with vampiric embrace for a lot of free heals.

I hardly ever had to drink on my priest. Try to use your shield only when necessary as it accounts for about 10% of your mana. The key to efficient leveling is knowing how to use your mana in comparison to your health. Also, psychic scream with vampiric embrace works wonders for regaining health for free as youre gaining health while youre getting 0 dmg done to you.
hakuyi
Private
Private

by Renew » Wed Oct 07, 2015 8:34 am

imo priest is rly easy to level, faster then rogue or warrior :)

took me 9 days to lvl60 and i was slacking much, i think 8 days are possible for everyone :)
my Addons:
- Vanilla Healing Assignments - /viewtopic.php?f=63&t=23326
- Vanilla Storyline -
Renew
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

by Lemore » Sat Oct 10, 2015 7:14 am

"Don't roll a priest because you can't go AFK in raids". SMH. :?

Leveling is fine. Go with spirit tap and imp. wand as your first 10 points, then (if you have the cash) respec to shadowform as soon as you can get it (or wait another 5 levels). Hardly any downtime if you pick mobs off one by one, and you can easily heal dungeons as long as the rest of your group knows what they're doing.

In lvl 60 BGs, find a melee DPS with high HP and stick to them like glue. They'll love you for the heals and keep you alive in turn.

For farming at lvl 60, team up with a DPS and go own up Hearthglen. I went with herb/alch which is fine to farm on your own, then made elixirs and flasks to sell. Depends on how the server economy turns out though - but you'll always be stocked with your own supplies. Good luck!
Lemore
Tester

by hakuyi » Sat Oct 10, 2015 7:57 am

Lemore wrote:"Don't roll a priest because you can't go AFK in raids". SMH. :?

Leveling is fine. Go with spirit tap and imp. wand as your first 10 points, then (if you have the cash) respec to shadowform as soon as you can get it (or wait another 5 levels). Hardly any downtime if you pick mobs off one by one, and you can easily heal dungeons as long as the rest of your group knows what they're doing.

In lvl 60 BGs, find a melee DPS with high HP and stick to them like glue. They'll love you for the heals and keep you alive in turn.

For farming at lvl 60, team up with a DPS and go own up Hearthglen. I went with herb/alch which is fine to farm on your own, then made elixirs and flasks to sell. Depends on how the server economy turns out though - but you'll always be stocked with your own supplies. Good luck!

Personally, I took imp wand after shadowform. I think it's nice but not worth investing 5 points in so early. I guess it's personal preference though.

Also, as a freshly dinged 60 I could farm Tyr's Hand pretty efficiently. I needed to drink after 2 mobs. I dont have any experience farming gold except for this method though so I am uncertain how efficient it really is but it worked for me.
hakuyi
Private
Private

by mANT » Wed Oct 14, 2015 7:42 pm

If memory serves me, when I was leveling as disc/holy for the first 40-50 levels (which I did many many times), about 60% of my total damage while leveling came from wands. If I hadn't taken improved wand spec, I believe the math would say that killing mobs would take about 15% longer. (Shave 25% off of 60% of my total damage = 15% less)

Assuming 100 total damage, that breaks down to:

40 from spells + 60 from wands = 100

Reducing 60 by 25% gives:

40 from spells + 45 from wands = 85

And 85 is 15% less than 100.

It could be that skipping improved wands is just fine, and I'm completely wrong. I didn't address what those extra 5 points could be invested in instead. But I don't think there's anything that will give you ~15% total damage boost.

For me, improved wands always the first talent I spec into. Never tried it any other way.
mANT
Tester

Previous

Return to PVE Server Specific discussion