Population distribution

Discussion forum related to PVE Server.

Population distribution

by Gnomorepuns » Mon Oct 05, 2015 3:11 pm

I'm curious and just want to bring up the question. Granted, nothing will be able to be answered numerically until the server has been up and running for a few weeks, but I wanted to get the question out there regardless.

I just started on nos, and I see that there is a pve server going up which is great. My question is what will the outlook on population between the servers look like? The reason I ask I because I am drawn to this (soon to be these) servers because of the immense population that there is; I love playing with a ton of people. I goal is to play on a highly populated server with as many NA guilds as I can find (hence why I've rolled alliance).

Tldr: what does the population distribution appear to look like? Because I'm one that wants to play on a highly populated server. I know this is a question that can't be easily answered at this point in time, but I just wanted to get the question out there.

Thanks for reading all!
Gnomorepuns
Private
Private

Re: Population distribution

by GlassGhost » Mon Oct 05, 2015 3:47 pm

PVP one still be with higher online
GlassGhost
Sergeant
Sergeant

by seeker303 » Mon Oct 05, 2015 4:02 pm

I think there will be about 2.5k on at each time with a 55-45 split between A-H being in favor of A. But with the amount of people who didn't play because of over population and force PvP (this isn't a very large group, but there is a good number of people who detest forced world PvP) I would say 2.5k on average with a peak of about 3.5k and a low of 1.5k.

I get these numbers just from a general standpoint of the community and guessing how many people may be joining nos because of the new PvE.

But this is pure speculation and these aren't real numbers, just guesses from the reactions of the community.

Just a little side note for everyone worried this is a small number. Keep in mind back in 2005 the average server had about 1k people online with a max of 2.5k people able to play on a single server, so keep that in mind before saying the population is too small.
seeker303
Private
Private

by Noselacri » Mon Oct 05, 2015 4:06 pm

Being PvE is probably not even the biggest factor in attracting players. The fact that it's a new server is the main appeal. Being there from the start is so much better, and a lot of people didn't have that opportunity with the original Nostalrius server. Others did but still want to start over, perhaps because they quit for a long period and don't want to play catch-up. Some do come to the new server specifically because it's a PvE realm, but I reckon they're in the minority. Most just want a fresh start with a chance to be the first to plant the flag.

The PvP realm robbed pretty much everyone of that opportunity due to <GRIZZLY> clearing MC before any other guild on the server even had enough 60s to form a raid team. While something similar could happen again, the fact that that particular guild left Nostalrius means it's less likely. They're a special group of players who live for the opportunity to "win" private servers by playing 18h/day for the first two weeks, which there's no other guild whose entire roster will do, but they only stay interested as long as they have no competition.

Obviously most people still won't get to achieve any server-firsts on the new realm, but they'll still be drawn to it due to the opportunity. Since almost nobody had even hit 60 when MC was cleared on the PvP realm, many will want a second shot. 90% of players never raid beyond MC, so that's the big carrot.
Noselacri
Sergeant
Sergeant

by Pokeypointy » Mon Oct 05, 2015 4:24 pm

PVP realm will have 7,5k peaks, and PVE will be hitting the cap of 2,5k on several occasions daily.
Viper wrote:Greetings, as stated earlier, transfer won't be possible.
Pokeypointy
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

by TOVAR » Mon Oct 05, 2015 5:15 pm

The PvE x1 early vanilla nature of the future server is a blessing and a curse. Why a curse? Because, not long after the opening, we will start to hear all sort of moaning about people wanting new content/progression asap, asking for AQ, Naxx and TBC as soon as possible, not in 2 years, not in one year, but 'now'.
One potential downside could be the very core of the early vanilla game, the 'unfinished game' feel, the chore of absurd attunement questlines, the hard time people are having to organize 'distant' instance runs (Like Maraudon for example) and similar featurtes that were removed/improved in the expansions.
Apparenlty, a lot of vanilla wow players nowadays have little patience for all that. I have played on several vanilla PvE realms, and the population was always in the low hundreds. I really hope 'our' server will be different. I also hope to be wrong, but I don't expect 2500 players online on a regular basis.
“No good deed goes unpunished.” - Oscar Wilde
Thank you Nostalrius!
TOVAR
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

by Acousticferret » Mon Oct 05, 2015 6:23 pm

Pokeypointy wrote:PVP realm will have 7,5k peaks, and PVE will be hitting the cap of 2,5k on several occasions daily.

Lol like you have any idea what's going to happen shut up
Acousticferret
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

by messica » Mon Oct 05, 2015 7:17 pm

Well Nost has said that they can handle 10k max between the 2. PvE is capped at 2.5k and since I've been playing on the PvP server for the past month or so I never see it go below 4k but it seems to usually be around 6k during the times that I play at least. Only time will tell but I think the PvE server will be at peak most of the time especially close after the launch and the PvP server will be mostly unchanged.
messica
Sergeant
Sergeant

by caval948 » Mon Oct 05, 2015 8:26 pm

The PvE server will have much more than 2.5k players. If they release it with a 2.5k cap, we'll see massive queues during the first weeks or even months.
caval948
Grunt
Grunt

by Diametra » Mon Oct 05, 2015 8:28 pm

From Nost staff:

From the data we gathered during the session, ~2,500 distinct players logged in during the brief 40 minutes:
* 67% of the population were new players who had never played on our server before,
* Among the remaining ~33%, half of them were old players who stopped playing on the PvP server.
If you want to predict what the future would be, draw and project your numbers from the official statistics of initial interest.

Although it was originally stated the server would be capped at 2500, the more recent announcement says the server is capable of handling 10k. I suppose we could have a server capable of handling a lot more and yet capping at it 2500, but that's really unlikely. There is no statement that both servers are capped at 10k together as someone stated earlier.
Diametra
Knight-Lieutenant
Knight-Lieutenant

Next

Return to PVE Server Specific discussion