The Grind: Part 1 Tiny Crimson Whelping

Discussion forum related to PVE Server.

The Grind: Part 1 Tiny Crimson Whelping

by Cardinalsin » Sun Jan 17, 2016 6:46 pm

Good day to you o7

This is Cardinalsin of The Illuminati, the only guild dedicated to the merchant and profession classes of the Nostalius PvE realm. In this, the first of an occasional series, our members will be looking at various aspects of the game that interest us and might prove interesting or lucrative to a wider audience.

For today's topic, we will be discussing the farming and acquisition of the first BOE wide-access pet drop of WoW progression, the Tiny Crimson Whelping.

Tiny Crimson Whelping are a direct drop from Red Whelps (L23 & L24), Crimson Whelps (L25 & L26) as well as Flamesnorting Whelps (L26 & L27) which are all found in the Wetlands region. While it's not the easiest area to access for the Horde, it's not impossible on the PvE server, although if you camp overnight rather than run to and from the inn you will lose your rest bonus.

The general location of these whelps is in the image above. It can't be emphasised enough that the Lost Whelps that you will find in the area do not drop this pet.

So now that we have the basics out of the way we'll deal with the salient facts:

You should start this grind/farm from L22 on, but you should have a better idea yourself on what you can get away with. You are going to be killing an awful lot of whelps, so you need to be efficient in your killing speed and not need to use too many resources.

This grind in particular is good for leatherworkering/skinning as they skin for light and medium leather, but herbing/alchemy and to a lesser degree mining is available on a regular basis in this area.

Each whelp will drop c. 40CP, some grey items (ruined dragonpelt for 1SP each for example), some decent trade items like small flame sac (about 40SP each), the occasional green and even a very rare blue item.

There is a 1 in 1000 chance that the tiny crimson whelping will drop from the correct mobs. People will tell you that they got the drop first go, or they got two in their first ten, whatever. The only approach to have is that it will drop after 1000 kills, on average.

Using mobinfo2 which is a bit buggy I can extrapolate the following information on my experience.

Red Whelp L23

113 Kills
2 x Moss Agate
1 x Green Item

Red Whelp L24

105 Kills
1 x Moss Agate
1 x Shadowgem
2 x Green Items

Crimson Whelp L25

349 Kills
11 x Green Items
1 x Blue Item
1 x Plans
2 x Patterns
1 x Shadowgem
1 x Ornate Bronze Box

Crimson Whelp L26

315 Kills
8 x Green Items
2 x Plans
4 x Moss Agate
1 x Shadowgem

Flamesnorting Whelp L26

122 Kills
2 x Green Items

Flamesnorting Whelp L27

103 Kills
4 x Green Items
1x Heavy Bronze Lockbox

Collated Information therefore:

1107 Kills
28 greens
1 blue
Approximately 4 gold in currency
Estimated 22 gold in grey and white items

More importantly, went from L22 to L29 as a holy priest and paid for all upgrades along the way.
As you may have guessed, the whelping dropped after 1100 kills, so above average and it took a lot longer than previous experiences on other realms.

I tend to keep my hand-reared pets as a rule, and will be keeping this, but of course selling it on the AH is a primary option. As this server is quite young the current rate is only 40-50 gold if you are patient and persevering. This will go a long way to your mount at L40.

Any queries on this please comment below. We strongly recommend this strategy as an option to just quest leveling owing to the benefits described above.

If this topic is of interest to you and you are interested in joining this guild, please PM or talk online.

Best wishes and hope to have been of service.

Cardinalsin
AKA Outstanding Opinions, threads and posts are my own
Cardinalsin
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

Re: The Grind: Part 1 Tiny Crimson Whelping

by Pyro » Thu Jan 28, 2016 10:10 pm

Congratulations on the dragon vanity pet! :mrgreen:

I remember my first experience with one dropping was purely accidental, and I was one of those who got it by accidentally aggroing a whelp, and getting it from just killing the whelp that attacked me.

Hope you get the time, sanity, and results of the Dark, Azure, and Dreaming whelp pets as well!

I really liked your methodical breakdown of the process, and what your results of the kills were!
Pyro
Tester

by RedBulik » Thu Jan 28, 2016 11:04 pm

That's awesome! Thank you.
Kokaina/Warlock/Horde/PVE Realm
RedBulik
Grunt
Grunt

by Bartolo » Wed Feb 03, 2016 12:50 am

Informative thread, I found all your information very useful.

Thanks.
Bartolo
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

Return to PVE Server Specific discussion