Gaming Morals and Mentality

Discussion forum related to PVE Server.

Gaming Morals and Mentality

by Smokinwii » Thu Mar 24, 2016 4:59 pm

I am 28 years old. When I first entered the Vanilla scene I was almost a grad in HS. I joined the PvE realm Nost. When it opened. I have seen the environment change drastically. Trolls and teenagers aside. The majority of us are gaming adults. Some Hardcore and some Casual. But all here for the reasoning of nostalgic content. No pun intended. So why is it I see adults being children? Being immature. I've had my spews. But in the end I try to fix my shortcomings. Lately all I see is drama and guild snatching and sickening moral of players who should be examples to the Vanilla noobie. I see these suppose elite players saying they deserve respect, but then make fools of themselves. Any Elite. Hardcore. They should be ones who out of anyone should keep a calm environment, help and not criticize. Cause at one time we were all the little guy. So sorry for my rant, but I want to hear some out put on your thoughts of the current environments and how you believe some of the known HC players should view and show themselves?
Founder/GM PvE Guild: FarmsNdungeons
Smokinwii
Sergeant
Sergeant

Re: Gaming Morals and Mentality

by actionpigeon » Thu Mar 24, 2016 5:26 pm

Confirmation bias, you don't see adults being adults because you only see adults being children.

Elitism in the sense of the word implies that someone knows more, is better, understands things well. Doesn't automatically imply that they are mature and helpful. Usually they've got limited time to do things and don't want to spend time helping new people because they get nothing in return.

You can be the biggest asshole in the game, or the nicest guy, a good player is a good player in my books, respect them or not. I respect people who know what the fuck they are doing, there is a wealth of knowledge to "get good" so being shit implies disability or laziness.
actionpigeon
Grunt
Grunt

by Xadaver » Thu Mar 24, 2016 6:15 pm

Smokinwii wrote:I am 28 years old. When I first entered the Vanilla scene I was almost a grad in HS. I joined the PvE realm Nost. When it opened. I have seen the environment change drastically. Trolls and teenagers aside. The majority of us are gaming adults. Some Hardcore and some Casual. But all here for the reasoning of nostalgic content. No pun intended. So why is it I see adults being children? Being immature. I've had my spews. But in the end I try to fix my shortcomings. Lately all I see is drama and guild snatching and sickening moral of players who should be examples to the Vanilla noobie. I see these suppose elite players saying they deserve respect, but then make fools of themselves. Any Elite. Hardcore. They should be ones who out of anyone should keep a calm environment, help and not criticize. Cause at one time we were all the little guy. So sorry for my rant, but I want to hear some out put on your thoughts of the current environments and how you believe some of the known HC players should view and show themselves?

you ragequit a brd run because you got outrolled on a weapon and then proceeded to cry about it for the next 10mins.
Xadaver
Private
Private

by Smokinwii » Thu Mar 24, 2016 10:59 pm

Xadaver wrote:
Smokinwii wrote:I am 28 years old. When I first entered the Vanilla scene I was almost a grad in HS. I joined the PvE realm Nost. When it opened. I have seen the environment change drastically. Trolls and teenagers aside. The majority of us are gaming adults. Some Hardcore and some Casual. But all here for the reasoning of nostalgic content. No pun intended. So why is it I see adults being children? Being immature. I've had my spews. But in the end I try to fix my shortcomings. Lately all I see is drama and guild snatching and sickening moral of players who should be examples to the Vanilla noobie. I see these suppose elite players saying they deserve respect, but then make fools of themselves. Any Elite. Hardcore. They should be ones who out of anyone should keep a calm environment, help and not criticize. Cause at one time we were all the little guy. So sorry for my rant, but I want to hear some out put on your thoughts of the current environments and how you believe some of the known HC players should view and show themselves?

you ragequit a brd run because you got outrolled on a weapon and then proceeded to cry about it for the next 10mins.

I think you have the wrong guy, I haven't been in BRD for months and if I am its for helping my guildies. But even if it did happen which I highly doubt(I am a Resto and the only thing I would need in there is the Hammer of Grace) it would be you with the immaturity of bringing up even such an event.

Anyways, thank you for your answer Action. All which I agreed on, atleast someone around here knows how to read the original topic and not make childish drama out of past events(which 99% never happened).

:)
Founder/GM PvE Guild: FarmsNdungeons
Smokinwii
Sergeant
Sergeant

by Xadaver » Thu Mar 24, 2016 11:03 pm

Deny it all you want, I was there and you were enhancement at the time, you had lord alexander's battleaxe and you cried when the warrior rolled on the 7 dwarves 2h. Prior to the roll the warrior asked if he could roll, you said yes and got pissed and raged when he rolled higher.
Calamitas and Cowmunist were also on that run and can confirm.

It's relevant because you shouldn't be moralising if it makes you a hypocrite.
Xadaver
Private
Private

by Uzephi » Thu Mar 24, 2016 11:22 pm

Xadaver wrote:Deny it all you want, I was there and you were enhancement at the time, you had lord alexander's battleaxe and you cried when the warrior rolled on the 7 dwarves 2h. Prior to the roll the warrior asked if he could roll, you said yes and got pissed and raged when he rolled higher.
Calamitas and Cowmunist were also on that run and can confirm.

It's relevant because you shouldn't be moralising if it makes you a hypocrite.

We have a rule around here: SS or it didn't happen.

On topic:

OP, you just have to find the right people. In my experience on pvp and pve realm, there are legit players who are helpful and some who can bring the morale of the group down. Just find the ones worth playing with and put them on your friend list and /ignore some that are just a hassle to be around. 90% of my runs are now with guildies or people I have on friends list. The 10% is people we had to pug.
Uzephi
Stone Guard
Stone Guard

by ayylm40 » Fri Mar 25, 2016 1:29 am

Stop the <FarmsNDungeons> bullying guys ;_;
ayylm40
Private
Private

by Dr. Doom » Fri Mar 25, 2016 1:47 am

I think that... the only way to play is to minimize the contact with toxic people, look for nice people that might not be too good but are pleasant to play with, fill yourself with patience and specially, never, ever, expect too much out of anything or anyone. I believe your dissapointment stems from that, expecting something too good out of people.

If the above process isn't done, seems to me the two choices left are: Quit the game and find a healthier hobby; or, begin a degenerative syndrome of taking the game too seriously, raging, tryharding (which will indeed improve your performance), and retroactively feeding your ego with immaterial achievements, resulting in becoming a shell of a person. Slipryy more or less.
Dr. Doom
Knight-Lieutenant
Knight-Lieutenant

by XJ9 » Fri Mar 25, 2016 2:20 am

First of all, "Elitist" has been divorced from its original meaning and it's now a buzzword. Much like "toxic" which once was used to describe players with such bad attitudes it negatively influenced other people who would then act the same, like a cancer spreading. Now "Toxic" is basically "I don't like this." I mean I've seen GAME MECHANICS referred to as "Toxic", fucking really?

You can't really gauge elitism based on limited interactions, nor can you take the words of many claiming someone is elitist. Since it seems from 11 years ago, Elitists were those people at the top who would actively seek to destroy guilds that dared come close to them and sought to keep the rabble so far below them. Now it seems if you're in a strong guild and don't suck off your party when they do something right you're an elitist. On retail WoW I got called an elitist because I noticed my group was failing a boss mechanic (There's a worm in Shadowmoon Burial Grounds Dungeon that sucks you into them but you avoid it by being max range and running away during the channel) offered a suggestion "Maybe sit at max range and see if that helps you not get eaten?"

Or look at the Kazzak thread floating about, I pointed out a guild was 22nd and when I did that I meant it as "You're contesting two of the strongest guilds on the server who want the kill, good luck with that." People instead read it as "You're not even a good guild go somewhere else baddie because you're not good enough for Kazzak."

It just seems these days you can't have any indication of being better than someone, even with a positive attitude without being called an elitist because their ego got damaged because you were different than them.

I notice you mentioned guilds, I'm willing to wager Deja Vu is amongst that term. You'll also hear far more about our negatives than our positives. I myself have done countless runs of instances I don't need to help people out, I've ran lowbie groups through BFD/RFK/SFK/RFC/WC/SM on my 60 simply because they were spamming world for an hour for a tank and I didn't want their group disbanding after an hour of trying. I've had random level 12 rogues PM me in Orgrimmar asking for level builds and I will give them paragraphs of information on leveling and why that option is best. Or the about 15 times I've been in Barrens and asked to do the poison quest for a rogue. Will you ever hear about those? Probably not. Yet if I said in World Chat "You're a fucking retard." you'll hear about that for about a week about how "elitist" I am.

I'd almost compare it to when celebrities get busted doing things, any normal person does it nobody cares. Celebrity X does it? It's all over the internet in 30 minutes.

Basically, people are swift to notice the negatives of the bigger guilds without the positives so they perceive them as elitist.
Anything posted on this account is said on behalf of myself and myself alone. None of my posts are influenced by guild affiliation and any issues you have with me should be taken up with me. Anything positive or negative is said by me, not my guild.
XJ9
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

Return to PVE Server Specific discussion