I can't decide what to roll..

Discussion forum related to PVE Server.

I can't decide what to roll..

by Ryune » Tue Apr 05, 2016 12:01 pm

I'm sure this had been said a million times over the years but the the first time in a long time I'm actually struggling with a choice that should be relatively easy. I player a hunter and holy/shadow priest during classic. I obviously started off as a hunter again to relive memories. At 18 I decided to give it a little rest and give druid a shot, at level 12 I swung over to a Tauren shaman and took it to 15 before I'm now leveling a paladin.

I think all the classes are simply a blast. The only thing I never had any real play time with until Cata was a mage. I want to raid and want to easily find dungeon groups, because while I know questing is a staple in the old WoW. I have leveled every tank and healer I've ever had via the dungeons pre and post LFD.

What would you suggest to be a good class that is avidly wanted for end game and dungeons.

Warrior would be an obvious choice but I don't want to be another token tank trying to find a guild in the end.

I'll run with them all, but finding myself quickly filling my character screen on "alts" and jumping between them trying to decide.

Ryune
Tester

Re: I can't decide what to roll..

by zmandude24 » Tue Apr 05, 2016 4:23 pm

Play what you want.
Last edited by zmandude24 on Tue Apr 05, 2016 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zmandude24
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

by zmandude24 » Tue Apr 05, 2016 4:24 pm

If you want an easy spot in dungeons and raids, roll a druid since you can tank instances and heal raids.

As for being afraid of not getting a spot as a prot warrior, the trick is to join the guilds that are in the preraid stage and are still mass recruiting. It's possible to get an OT spot in established guilds if you impress someone in that guild. I've had people in BwL guilds try to recruit me as an OT back when I played on the PvP server in a friend's guild. There are no free spots for tanks like there is for healers and caster dps, but it's far from impossible.
zmandude24
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

by Ryune » Tue Apr 05, 2016 5:13 pm

So you'd rate healers and all ranged as generally the harder to get classes for raids?

Druid tanks still are capable of standing up to warriors up to the first raids? I mean I can tank instances with bear to level 60? I never had much experience with them before BC so I can't recall their abilities. Besides seeing a couple Bears in AQ40 gear tanking Molten Core a few months before BC launched.
Ryune
Tester

by zmandude24 » Tue Apr 05, 2016 8:00 pm

Ryune wrote:So you'd rate healers and all ranged as generally the harder to get classes for raids?

That's how it is on almost every private vanilla/TBC server. Many people play melee dps because of the PvP vids and they top the meters on realmplayers, while not having a clue about their downsides, which are being completely unable to dps in some parts and taking more damage than ranged dps. Due to the downsides, progression groups will not take more than 10 melee dps total. The amount of tanks you need per person in raids is about half of what it is in dungeons at most. Most content only requires 2 or 3 prot warriors with the other tanks being fury with a tank set in their bags. The amount of healers per person in raids increases by at least 50% for the later raids.

Ryune wrote:Druid tanks still are capable of standing up to warriors up to the first raids? I mean I can tank instances with bear to level 60? I never had much experience with them before BC so I can't recall their abilities. Besides seeing a couple Bears in AQ40 gear tanking Molten Core a few months before BC launched.

Yes, they are perfectly viable for tanking instances (though pugs probably won't let you MT UBRS if you aren't a warrior).
zmandude24
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

by hedgelord » Tue Apr 05, 2016 9:01 pm

Roll a mage and join deja vu!
Edgelord 60 Mage
Hedgelord 60 Druid
Deja vu - PVE - twitch.tv/edgelord5
hedgelord
Grunt
Grunt

by Dr. Doom » Tue Apr 05, 2016 9:16 pm

If you want invites to fly your way and not have to worry about doing much other than pressing your 1 button of damage and positioning correctly, go mage, maybe warlock. Typically they bring far less hunters than these 2.

If you want invites to fly your way while having some form of challenge, go healer, any will do really. A non-druid can rez though so you can deal with bad 5 man groups better when healing. On the reverse, you don't have to be bothered with rezzing in people in raids when others take over if you do go druid.

If you don't mind struggling to get a raid invite, go melee dps or tank.
Dr. Doom
Knight-Lieutenant
Knight-Lieutenant

Return to PVE Server Specific discussion