North American Routing Issues?

Discussion forum related to Nostalrius Begins in general.

North American Routing Issues?

by Ohhgee » Fri Dec 11, 2015 3:07 am

For about 2 weeks now, the server has been borderline unplayable for a large number of people exclusively between the hours of 2:00 ST and about 8:00 ST (which happens to be NA prime time). I know absolutely nothing about networking, but I know that other NA players have been experiencing this issue and it makes zero sense.

During peak EU hours, with close to 10,000 players online, I have a totally normal and totally manageable 130-150 ms. However, once NA play times hit, and the amount of online players drops to 5,000-6,000 I experience 500+ ms until I get too frustrated to play and log off.

This used to be the best time to play in terms of lag/delay, and now it is completely infuriating to try to do anything.

It happens during the same time window every single night, and has been happening consistently for a couple weeks now. Can staff provide any insight to what might be causing this? Some type of overnight maintenance? Or maybe something to do with the recent explosion of Chinese players?

Sincerely,
a very frustrated US player
Ohhgee
Level 60 Human Mage
<NOPE>
Ohhgee
Stone Guard
Stone Guard

Re: North American Routing Issues?

by Pennydread » Fri Dec 11, 2015 3:22 am

EU player here, no increased ping during the times you mentioned.

Thought I would leave a reply here so we can cross out that its due to the chinese since it doesnt effect my ping at all.

I dont think it would cause problems for the US players base only, but Im no expert so what do I know...

Hope it works out for you guys, must be really frustrating.
Pennydread
Sergeant
Sergeant

by Ohhgee » Fri Dec 11, 2015 3:27 am

Yes, my European friends have not experienced this problem. After asking US players about it, it seems to be effecting quite a lot.

After a couple weeks of frustration for me and several NA players I'm friends with, I decided to ask around. Tonight specifically players from two different NA guilds told me that roughly half their raid was experiencing unplayable lag which prompted me to make this thread.

What makes it so strange is that it only seems to effect North Americans, and it happens at a very specific time each night (which coincidently used to be the best time period for playing lag-free)
Ohhgee
Level 60 Human Mage
<NOPE>
Ohhgee
Stone Guard
Stone Guard

by Valandar » Fri Dec 11, 2015 3:34 am

I'm in NA and usually run 110-130 ping. I just started playing here about a month and a half ago and I've noticed the same thing although its been closer to 3 - 7 ST here. Almost everyday during those times, I notice a 1-2 second delay, when normally its not very noticeable. I'll also have random lag spikes, but its not a constant lag. Always thought it was just because of the distance
Valandar
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

by sojs » Fri Dec 11, 2015 5:01 am

havent noticed it

but every week for the past few months on our friday raid there is a lag spike at 7 PST (4 am server) we always have to take a small break while we wait for it to pass
sojs
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

by LightsJusticeZ » Fri Dec 11, 2015 9:44 am

Just started playing a few weeks back, and wanted to say I'm experience some lag too from the US.

I'm normally around 120-130 ms, but for a few hours now, it's been spiking up to 900 ms!

I figured I could take a nap and do other things as it would hopefully pass, but unfortunately, it's still rather high - around 300 ms.
LightsJusticeZ
Tester

by SnowFlakes » Fri Dec 11, 2015 10:14 am

Move to EU
oh, ok.
SnowFlakes
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

by Baalls » Fri Dec 11, 2015 2:09 pm

Around 8pm est
Baalls
Sergeant
Sergeant

by Prancinglid » Fri Dec 11, 2015 3:06 pm

I can also confirm this issue. Here is what I have noticed:

For the past three nights, myself and several other guild members have started getting gradual lag increases starting around 9/9:30 EST that end up lasting until around 11:30 EST. This has started happening to the same people at the same times. In game, MS values slowly creep from the normal rate and climb up to anywhere between 500MS-5500MS. We do not all share the same isp, and we do not live in the same area- the only thing we have in common is that we don't live on the east or west coast.

The connections for us outside of Nostalrius is always normal (I had over 5000 MS in MC and speed tested at 60MS, 85mbs DL, 10mbs UL)

All of this information points to a recent development of networking routing issue for NA players in-game.

It was tested last night that using a VPN does fix this issue.
Prancinglid
Private
Private

by mozibake » Sat Dec 12, 2015 8:45 am

SnowFlakes wrote:Move to EU

give citizenship
you think it be like it is but it's don't
-jack brack
mozibake
Stone Guard
Stone Guard