Petition for US Congress

Discussion forum related to Nostalrius Begins in general.

Re: Petition for US Congress

by nervous » Sun Apr 10, 2016 6:40 pm

Thefilth wrote:
nervous wrote:lmao at all the euros that think americans give a shit about their signatures.

dream's dead boys, pack it up

Lmao at the lazy tryhard who can't be arsed to read a couple of hundred words and sign for something he would greatly benefit from.

Yeah bro I'm a super turbo virgin no lifer and even I can't be assed to read this bullshit. What makes you think the old white men that make our laws give a shit about international laws regarding 12+ year old video game emulation?

Get outta here
<GRIZZLY>
nervous
Knight-Lieutenant
Knight-Lieutenant

by Amerlene » Sun Apr 10, 2016 11:36 pm

nervous wrote:
Thefilth wrote:
nervous wrote:lmao at all the euros that think americans give a shit about their signatures.

dream's dead boys, pack it up

Lmao at the lazy tryhard who can't be arsed to read a couple of hundred words and sign for something he would greatly benefit from.

Yeah bro I'm a super turbo virgin no lifer and even I can't be assed to read this bullshit. What makes you think the old white men that make our laws give a shit about international laws regarding 12+ year old video game emulation?

Get outta here

I don't know what this petition specifically target. If it is only regarding people "whining" about the shutdown of nostalrius or similar, and is directed towards US congress. It is utterly useless.

If it is about the fact that companies have the power, by law to lawsuit people and by law shut down sites/servers and similar, It would be a bit more effective. (remember SOPA?) or The entire The Pirate Bay thing? Didn't straight out help , but it helped. A petition like that would attract more people other than people on WoW Private servers.
The now much bigger, petition that is directed towards Blizzard is much better. https://www.change.org/p/michael-morhaime-legacy-server-among-world-of-warcraft-community
Amerlene
Grunt
Grunt

by Axis- » Mon Apr 11, 2016 6:13 am

I like the idea, however:

You can't expect anybody to take this seriously if you don't address the (very real) slippery-slope side of your proposal.

Ex. 1) In 2024, should Blizz be forced to accept private servers for Hearthstone if they refuse to release a "vanilla" mode?

Ex. 2) Nobody would ever ask for a chance to replay the original EVE Online (circa 2003). [Some games improve over time, if you can imagine it]. Should CCP be forced to allow a free, private "vanilla" server if it went online tomorrow?

I'm not trying to rain on your parade; it's important to acknowledge problems and respond to them preemptively.
I like your sentiment, but your argument needs a lot of work.
Axis-
Tester

by Uzephi » Mon Apr 11, 2016 8:42 am

Axis- wrote:I like the idea, however:

You can't expect anybody to take this seriously if you don't address the (very real) slippery-slope side of your proposal.

Ex. 1) In 2024, should Blizz be forced to accept private servers for Hearthstone if they refuse to release a "vanilla" mode?

Ex. 2) Nobody would ever ask for a chance to replay the original EVE Online (circa 2003). [Some games improve over time, if you can imagine it]. Should CCP be forced to allow a free, private "vanilla" server if it went online tomorrow?

I'm not trying to rain on your parade; it's important to acknowledge problems and respond to them preemptively.
I like your sentiment, but your argument needs a lot of work.

http://www.gdcvault.com/play/1023470/-I ... -Emulation 1 hour pretty much says it all. He goes into depth everything the petition stands for: Keeping games alive. Answer to both examples: Yes. if these companies don't do it themselves, we should be allowed to have versions of those games "for archival and preservation" Check the links from archive.org. There is already a library of over 100,000 games and outdated software preserved by this non-profit. (that doesn't include the millions of books, art and even webpages time stamped into an archive, but this bracket isn't part of the argument)
Uzephi
Stone Guard
Stone Guard

by Holmes » Mon Apr 11, 2016 10:44 am

a petition like this could force companies to not abandon old expensions, unless they want others to take their place.
this is not only good for nostalrius, but for the entire online gaming community.

while you can easily re-experience single-player games by just patching it to a certain state, its impossible to do so if it requires a server - nobody is allowed to host - of the same version.
this results in players, that have paid for a certain version/expansion of a game but are no longer able nor allowed to play it anywhere. this cant be right and this has to change

plus: this is especially the case for those games where "expansion" does not actually mean "expanding the old version" but "changing and re-creating everything".

its a difference if you want to eat vanilla ice, so you buy vanilla ice, and the ice-cream man gives you a chocolate scoop in addition, or if he mixes your vanilla ice with the chocolate scoop up.
one means you can still eat your vanilla scoop by kickin the chocolate scoop off if you want to, the other means you cant "unmix" the vanilla and chocolate, no matter if you like or unlike this. the vanilla scoop does not exist any longer
Holmes
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

by Forcerius » Mon Apr 11, 2016 6:55 pm

Congress: Hey guys look a new petition
Congress: Heh, cool
Congress: Ok back to stealing money from Americans and spending it on war and draconian law enforcement.

The End.

Although petitions are still useful for measuring support and increasing hope.
studyquran.org/resources/Quran_Reformist_Translation.pdf
Submission to God alone and doing good work is the only path to Paradise.
Peace be upon you.
Forcerius
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

by Hydra9268 » Tue Apr 12, 2016 6:21 am

In an attempt to make sense of this madness Blizzard has wrought I've been making this argument for the past few days. As I see it I bought more than one copy of Vanilla, including the very first in 2004. If I log into WOW today I cannot play that version. Most of the content from vanilla was removed when Cataclysm came out. This is not like older games where I can still play them. For example if I want to play The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past today all I need to do is buy the game and a SuperNES. The copyright is still intact because
The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past hasn't change and is still available for play. From a legal stand point I think Blizzard should lose their copyright claims, not on the game itself, but on the servers that ran Vanilla. If they aren't willing to do it then let non-profits do it. Like Star Wars, the vanilla version of Would of Warcraft is an important gaming phenomenon for millions of people and deserves to be archived for future generations.
DO NOT WANT PRISTINE REALMS!!!
Hydra9268
Stone Guard
Stone Guard

by nervous » Tue Apr 12, 2016 2:34 pm

y'all should have read the terms of usage when buying that copy of WoW in 2004
<GRIZZLY>
nervous
Knight-Lieutenant
Knight-Lieutenant

by Hydra9268 » Tue Apr 12, 2016 3:50 pm

nervous wrote:y'all should have read the terms of usage when buying that copy of WoW in 2004

Are you trying to imply something? If you are, copy-pasta the part of the implied TOU and say what you mean. Enough with this innuendo.
DO NOT WANT PRISTINE REALMS!!!
Hydra9268
Stone Guard
Stone Guard

by Dot_Over_i » Tue Apr 12, 2016 7:30 pm

Blizzard do not need always stick to the rules , if they want understanding and admiration of their fans
The simple little people . So afraid of magic , but so fond of tricks
Dot_Over_i
Tester

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion