I am GM Vaelanor

Discussion forum related to Nostalrius Begins in general.

Re: I am GM Vaelanor

by Pottu » Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:02 pm

It is indeed Vaelanor.

As for the accusations by "Mud", Link was our head QA guy on Elysium. Because of the need to do last-minute testing and fixing with AQ Scepter Quest chain, he was given a R6 account on Anathema by Shenna. This account was not closed after AQ opened, allowing Link to buff his personal character repeatedly for raids. I don't know whether Shenna knew about this or not, in any case nothing was done until the GM team found out about it. To my knowledge, he didn't sell gold or anything like that, just buffed himself and gave himself consumables since he claimed he didn't have time to farm. This is the reason he was not invited to join us at Light's Hope.

Personally I left LH because the GM team was being worked to death with very little support from the other teams. We were repeatedly attacked because banned/suspended players cried & whined in Discord and/or Reddit, yet we had to deal with a massive amount of botters, multiboxers, gold sellers, exploiters and more with barely adequate tools. Mind you, things were getting better. It's all very disappointing and sad. As Vaelanor said, the GM team on Nostalrius, on Elysium and on Light's Hope was mostly excellent and a group of good people who put in vast amounts of hours to help the players.
Pottu
Game Master
Game Master

by Theoloras » Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:49 am

Pottu wrote:It is indeed Vaelanor.

As for the accusations by "Mud", Link was our head QA guy on Elysium. Because of the need to do last-minute testing and fixing with AQ Scepter Quest chain, he was given a R6 account on Anathema by Shenna. This account was not closed after AQ opened, allowing Link to buff his personal character repeatedly for raids. I don't know whether Shenna knew about this or not, in any case nothing was done until the GM team found out about it. To my knowledge, he didn't sell gold or anything like that, just buffed himself and gave himself consumables since he claimed he didn't have time to farm. This is the reason he was not invited to join us at Light's Hope.

Personally I left LH because the GM team was being worked to death with very little support from the other teams. We were repeatedly attacked because banned/suspended players cried & whined in Discord and/or Reddit, yet we had to deal with a massive amount of botters, multiboxers, gold sellers, exploiters and more with barely adequate tools. Mind you, things were getting better. It's all very disappointing and sad. As Vaelanor said, the GM team on Nostalrius, on Elysium and on Light's Hope was mostly excellent and a group of good people who put in vast amounts of hours to help the players.

Hey Pottu,

Well, I can't say that I am surprised by all of this and only further shows the rationale why the LH admins didn't want to lift a finger to help out Anathema and the Nost legacy players out - especially Whitekidney with his constant, "STFU AND REROLL" comments on discord.

Hopefully, Blizzard will release WoW Classic soon so that we can all put this sad, sordid history behind us...
Theoloras
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

by ihcTactics » Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:13 am

Ex-GM (GM Forum account banned when I just left the project [Witcher if any GM wants to unban it]). I'm sure some may remember me as Demonize. When I left I was R2, just beneath the Lead GM.

Taking from from vaelanor: "I have very much enjoyed my 8 years as part of the legacy community, GM’ing was significantly more fun than playing and I will miss it dearly."

I was in a similar position. I wound up putting in 30-40 hours a week or more into my GM duties for Nost. I did it because I love it and I love helping others. I quit Nost before it shut down and never made the move to Ely/LH, but I have the deepest of sympathies for all the staff who have worked on both projects purely out of love of helping, which I assume is most! The entitlement and greediness of some people in this community is truly astonishing.

Pottu and Vael, I have mad respect for you both for continuing to help out these massive communities by DONATING your own personal time for YEARS to make the experiences of each player the best it can be.
ihcTactics
Tester

by Rikkisix » Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:30 pm

I didn't hear nor care for LH myself, but i think everyone who knew priv servers that ely was bad... I mean it was Valkyire guys VALK WOW how many of you lads remember how much of a pain it was for us who went there from Scripcraft 1 and 2, it's a damn shame nothing changed for them, and they really ruined something but what can you expect? Eh, no one has 20/20 vision, and hopefully Blizzard will give us real servers and all of this will simpley die out, i think a lot of people have to remember that Nost was a lot of peoples first server, so they really don't see the grime and crawl that has it's pull out in this dark sect of the interwebs.
Also known As Rageheart / Pintero Or the guy who's been hittin on tauren woman since 05?
Rikkisix
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

by Istaria » Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:21 pm

Nice to see you again, Pottu. You as well, Vael.

I agree about the GM team being overworked as well as the proper controls missing. Controls that should have been implemented the moment the server went up. That never happened because of too much trust, I guess. I wanted to implement complete root logging and a different "root user" for everyone, but I too had too much trust in everyone to really push for it. I didn't want to inconvenience the sysadmins. In hindsight, I'm still shocked that something fishy may have been going on and I truly hope it was someone from the outside. I'd like to think all of the people in the team have a high enough morale not to engage in something like this, but private servers seem to bring out the worst in people.

Regardless, you were just as much part of that team as everyone else and you didn't exactly stress the importance of these things either since the servers went up and things settled down, despite you claiming so in your document. As for you leaving, it's a democratic volunteer project and I completely understand your decision. All the best to you and hope we can still get along if/when our path cross again.
Shanyatral / Istaria, Guild Master of <Theorycraft>
(and yes, these days I do stuff for Light's Hope - but never for Nostalrius / Elysium) .
Istaria
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

by Starbright » Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:03 am

"Private Servers" will always be "Private Servers" and everything that comes with it, accept it.
<Guildmaster of Return>
Starbright
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

by Horten » Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:07 am

Thank goodness private servers will come to an end with this, they belong in the dumpster along with the people involved in them.
Cya on retail.
Horten
Private
Private

by Slicy » Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:28 pm

Hi friends,

I too have proofs of the Sith Link, but from when he was a Jedi, long ago :

https://imgur.com/a/pXFxq

Peace.
Grand Marshal Scarab Lord Slicy "Baguette"
Slicy