Population keeps on growing

Nostalrius official announcements

Re: Population keeps on growing

by detached » Sun Jun 07, 2015 10:29 pm

I think people overestimate how much a 2nd PvE server would split the population, I'd think a large part of the players going there would be people who didn't/wouldn't get past lvl 30 on the current server due to constant ganking.

They're two different crowds anyways, and if we can't fit em all on one server, having both a PvP & a PvE realm sounds reasonable to me. You won't miss much anyways if that guy standing still while your slaughtering him in BRM while frapsing for your new "awesome" pvp movie decides to reroll on the PvE realm.
detached
Sergeant
Sergeant

by Exzear » Mon Jun 08, 2015 12:23 am

Open another server plz.
Exzear
Private
Private

by Sortadead » Mon Jun 08, 2015 12:34 am

Lag can be fixed with server resources. Takes money though. Where that money is going to come from...
Sortadead
Tester

by zequill » Mon Jun 08, 2015 1:15 am

At what time the server have the biggest amount of people online? I have look from time to time while playing this weekend and "all" I see was 4000 to 4500.
zequill
Grunt
Grunt

by azreal3133 » Mon Jun 08, 2015 1:57 am

Sortadead wrote:Lag can be fixed with server resources. Takes money though. Where that money is going to come from...

No, it really can't, there are limits.
azreal3133
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

by Serelyen » Mon Jun 08, 2015 4:50 am

zequill wrote:At what time the server have the biggest amount of people online? I have look from time to time while playing this weekend and "all" I see was 4000 to 4500.

You don't play at EU peak then. Weekend evenings were over 9k for me and the lag/delay was pretty much unbearable.
Serelyen
Tester

by Sortadead » Mon Jun 08, 2015 5:26 am

azreal3133 wrote:
Sortadead wrote:Lag can be fixed with server resources. Takes money though. Where that money is going to come from...

No, it really can't, there are limits.

I have no idea what Nostalrius' infrastructure looks like. If I was making a private server, I'd start with 1 server for the world runtime that keeps track of players, and another for the db. As things grew, I'd add a separate login server...then add servers for each continent...then another for instances...another for the AH, etc.. If Nost is Trinitycore based then replacing MySQL with MSSQL/Oracle alone would be a massive performance boost. Especially in a heavy write environment like an MMO.

You sound very certain. Are you saying Nost is already running on a server farm like this? I am talking $30,000 for an HP blade setup, and another $10k for a legit MSSQL license. I have a hard time believing this level of hardware could not handle 10k people distributed playing WoW without breaking a sweat. If the software just needs optimizing, then all this will come for free sooner or later.
Sortadead
Tester

by orceN » Mon Jun 08, 2015 9:14 am

doublepost ...
Last edited by orceN on Mon Jun 08, 2015 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
orceN
Tester

by orceN » Mon Jun 08, 2015 9:31 am

Pottu wrote:
Terranaut wrote:The hard cap for vanilla servers on retail was 2.500 players

Can you provide a source for that?

People keep posting different numbers, ranging from 2.5k to 5k and everything between but I've yet to see a credible source backing any number up.

http://web.archive.org/web/200503130534 ... mstats.php

not officially from blizzard but a measurement for characters.
Sure its characters not players online, but now you're able to evaluate a statistically value how many twinks a normal vanilla player had, lets say 2,5 twinks as normalized value.
This means you have about 4k players on an european realm and about 9k players on an us realm.
orceN
Tester

by PeaceHammer » Mon Jun 08, 2015 5:47 pm

When Alterac Valley (pre-nerf) goes live, the population is really gonna explode...
PeaceHammer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements