Message to the private servers community

Nostalrius official announcements

Re: Message to the private servers community

by Lorodiam » Wed Sep 23, 2015 11:07 am

Just a quick question on the PVE server (which has likely been answered before).

Do you have to start a new character or will there be some sort of character transfer?

Thanks. :)
Lorodiam
Tester

by Hogbobson » Wed Sep 23, 2015 11:17 am

No character transfers. Everyone starts afresh. :)
Hogbobson
Grunt
Grunt

by Lorodiam » Wed Sep 23, 2015 11:28 am

Wow! What an extremely dumb approach to take.
Lorodiam
Tester

by Mr_Rosh » Wed Sep 23, 2015 11:35 am

Lorodiam wrote:Wow! What an extremely dumb approach to take.

:shock: Are you stupid?
Mr_Rosh
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

by Handlock » Wed Sep 23, 2015 1:29 pm

Fresh server is the only thing that makes any sense. The opportunity to start from equal footing is the very thing that attracts most people. Lots of players only found out about Nostalrius after a few months, and there's far less appeal for a server where the top guilds are already entrenched and everything is already on farm mode. Many players will start on the new server not because it's PvE but because it's a fresh start for everyone, an opportunity to get in at the ground and not be months behind.
Handlock
Private
Private

by Asatora » Wed Sep 23, 2015 1:44 pm

Fresh start is the only way to go!
Asatora
Grunt
Grunt

by Ninetails » Wed Sep 23, 2015 2:45 pm

Lorodiam wrote:Wow! What an extremely dumb approach to take.

At first I thought it sucked too, but it makes sense to not give people a head start.
No advertising.
Ninetails
Sergeant
Sergeant

by Lorodiam » Wed Sep 23, 2015 3:46 pm

I am not stupid Mr_Rosh.

I disagree that it makes sense to have people start fresh. In fact I believe it would make more sense to let people character transfer for the following reasons.

1. Letting people of varying levels transfer their characters across will prevent the starting zones from becoming completely overpopulated and extremely tedious to level through. Having everyone in one zone will inevitably annoy people and could potentially decrease the servers popularity, which is something I'm sure the developers don't want.

2. Players who prefer PVE that have levelled a character (including their trade skills etc) above lvl45 on the PVP server are going to be a little dismayed at having to begin the levelling process all over again on the new PVE server. They will either choose to stay on a PVP server which they don't want to be on, potentially causing them to want to leave or they will begin the process of levelling again which could increase the feeling of tedium, again increasing their chances of leaving. No developer likes to lose players.

3. The high level players transferring to the new server will not truly have a head start on anything as the PVE server has the exact same content as the PVP server. The head start on content has been had for quite some time. Also if player transfers were allowed then I’m sure quite a few higher level players would want to transfer at once, therefore no massive head start would be gained on resource gathering either.

The downsides… people get to kill Nef quickly on the PVE server? People get a few more resources (maybe) because the high level zones are less populated?... I’m not really seeing too many downsides to be perfectly honest.

Now take my opinions with a pinch of salt as I am completely biased due to the fact I am a player who hates a world PVP system which consists of imbalanced classes (we all know this was true in vanilla) that love to continually gank you and I would love to move to a PVE server. But I also have a lvl47 character who I do not want to have to start again from scratch.

But all this is irrelevant anyway as they are not allowing character transfers. 
Lorodiam
Tester

by Ninetails » Wed Sep 23, 2015 4:58 pm

Lorodiam wrote:I am not stupid Mr_Rosh.

I disagree that it makes sense to have people start fresh. In fact I believe it would make more sense to let people character transfer for the following reasons.

1. Letting people of varying levels transfer their characters across will prevent the starting zones from becoming completely overpopulated and extremely tedious to level through. Having everyone in one zone will inevitably annoy people and could potentially decrease the servers popularity, which is something I'm sure the developers don't want.

2. Players who prefer PVE that have levelled a character (including their trade skills etc) above lvl45 on the PVP server are going to be a little dismayed at having to begin the levelling process all over again on the new PVE server. They will either choose to stay on a PVP server which they don't want to be on, potentially causing them to want to leave or they will begin the process of levelling again which could increase the feeling of tedium, again increasing their chances of leaving. No developer likes to lose players.

3. The high level players transferring to the new server will not truly have a head start on anything as the PVE server has the exact same content as the PVP server. The head start on content has been had for quite some time. Also if player transfers were allowed then I’m sure quite a few higher level players would want to transfer at once, therefore no massive head start would be gained on resource gathering either.

The downsides… people get to kill Nef quickly on the PVE server? People get a few more resources (maybe) because the high level zones are less populated?... I’m not really seeing too many downsides to be perfectly honest.

Now take my opinions with a pinch of salt as I am completely biased due to the fact I am a player who hates a world PVP system which consists of imbalanced classes (we all know this was true in vanilla) that love to continually gank you and I would love to move to a PVE server. But I also have a lvl47 character who I do not want to have to start again from scratch.

But all this is irrelevant anyway as they are not allowing character transfers. 

I agree with points 1 and 2, but I disagree with point 3. They will definitely get a head start, and the opening of a new server is a great opportunity to have a fresh start. A lot of people have already commented that that is the appeal for them to play on this server - to be able to be there from the beginning, because they feel that starting on the PvP server right now for them is like they are behind and they missed something.

I don't think point 1 holds too much weight, either. It might be good at the beginning of the server, but a few weeks in it doesn't really matter anymore. Regarding point 2, I only had a level 26 character on the PvP server, but it still kinda sucked for me to not be able to take that character over to the PvE server. But in the end, having everyone start on equal footing is the best way to go.
No advertising.
Ninetails
Sergeant
Sergeant

by Pokeypointy » Wed Sep 23, 2015 5:27 pm

Lorodiam wrote:I am not stupid Mr_Rosh.

Bla bla bla, the server will start of at pre-1.4 patch, not 1.6 like the pvp is currently at, that alone makes it impossible, no other arguments against or for are needed.

Edit* Some bad grammar mistakes.
Viper wrote:Greetings, as stated earlier, transfer won't be possible.
Pokeypointy
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements