BIK

dlxx
DLXX - DLXXY - WXL
DLXX
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

Re: Clustering development insight

by Warrax22 » Wed Feb 17, 2016 4:21 pm

This is all great but now there a cap with a high queue and we get DC after only a couple of minutes in the queue.
Warrax22
Tester

by Phyle » Wed Feb 17, 2016 4:30 pm

zusukie wrote:as long as all players in the same zone + neighboured zones (so someone you are chasing from zone A into zone B doesnt disappear infront of you) are in the same node, then i'm very happy about this news and looking forward to these changes.

I can underline this at 100%.

But beside this I am very happy to hear news about plans to fix the ppl problems. Great job Nostalrius :D!
Phyle
Sergeant
Sergeant

by Cousy » Wed Feb 17, 2016 4:42 pm

Seems pretty incredible to me.

My understanding is that Kalimdor / EK / Dungeons / Raids / Battlegrounds would all have their dedicated node. So there wouldn't be any more weird phasing issues because it's not necessary. So the concerns it would affect world pvp don't seem to have any base. It would also allow Dungeons / Raids / BGs to not take any performance hit (view distance) based on the overall population of the server, which would be phenomenal.

Lets see how it plays out in reality but it seems to me to be a home run.
Cousy
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

by notgunnahappen » Wed Feb 17, 2016 4:59 pm

Cousy wrote:Seems pretty incredible to me.

My understanding is that Kalimdor / EK / Dungeons / Raids / Battlegrounds would all have their dedicated node. So there wouldn't be any more weird phasing issues because it's not necessary. So the concerns it would affect world pvp don't seem to have any base. It would also allow Dungeons / Raids / BGs to not take any performance hit (view distance) based on the overall population of the server, which would be phenomenal.

Lets see how it plays out in reality but it seems to me to be a home run.

Problem is they advertised it in their video as adding shards/channels to their open world, which would kill and completely ruin what the vanilla open world is all about.

If each loading zone is on its own separate server and that's their vision with this project, than this is amazing and can't wait.
notgunnahappen
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

by TomDeBaere » Wed Feb 17, 2016 5:12 pm

I agree with people who said it before, technically very impressive and good work. But even if you create a server that can handle 20000+ people, the game simply isn't designed to have such high populations. It's really fun to see so many people walk around but many gameplay experiences are not so fun anymore with so many people fighting over the same things. I'd still say, create different servers for the open world, one for the battlegrounds, and one for the instances. You would have for example Nos PVP1 and Nos PVP2, in the open world people would only see people from Nos PVP1 but chat channels are cross servers, and you can do dungeons together.
TomDeBaere
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

by Niko » Wed Feb 17, 2016 5:15 pm

nice !

real nice Devs !
Last edited by Pottu on Fri Oct 30, 2015 5:31 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Put some trousers on
Niko
Legionnaire
Legionnaire

by packersville » Wed Feb 17, 2016 5:20 pm

Warrax22 wrote:This is all great but now there a cap with a high queue and we get DC after only a couple of minutes in the queue.

What?
packersville
Sergeant
Sergeant

by Kazuma » Wed Feb 17, 2016 5:25 pm

TomDeBaere wrote:I agree with people who said it before, technically very impressive and good work. But even if you create a server that can handle 20000+ people, the game simply isn't designed to have such high populations. It's really fun to see so many people walk around but many gameplay experiences are not so fun anymore with so many people fighting over the same things. I'd still say, create different servers for the open world, one for the battlegrounds, and one for the instances. You would have for example Nos PVP1 and Nos PVP2, in the open world people would only see people from Nos PVP1 but chat channels are cross servers, and you can do dungeons together.

/Agreed the game is not meant to be played by such amounts. Soon not a single mob will be alive anymore. Questing will be non excistant and everything will be a complete gankfest. While I do think this technology is brilliant and for a pop of 7k+ nessecary, I still think a second PvP is needed anytime soon..
Kazumà level 29 Nightelf Rogue
Meteoritis level 29 Human Priest
Kazuma
Sergeant
Sergeant

by Pottu » Wed Feb 17, 2016 5:39 pm

Greetings,

I'll try to answer and clarify few questions.

1) "This will ruin world PvP since people will hide on a different node"

No. We will not implement phasing or instancing on the same map. That would indeed destroy the feel of vanilla WoW. Each node/server will handle either a continent, battlegrounds or dungeon/raid instances. If necessary, these can then be divided further, so a single node handles BWL, another node handles AV, yet another handles Kalimdor and so on. There will not be a situation where two players are in Elwynn Forest and cannot see each other. The video used Elwynn just to prove that the chat works between nodes.

2) "Will this bring in queues?"

No. After a server crash there has always been and will be a short queue as the login server cannot handle thousands of players logging in simultaneously. Outside of that specific case, there won't be any queues.

3) "Will this help with my lag?"

Yes and no. It won't improve the connection lag caused by distance from France or if you have a poor Internet connection. It will improve (possibly completely eliminate) the server delay that can happen with 10k+ players online.

4) "Will view distances improve?"

Yes. View distance is one the most taxing things for the server to handle. Reducing it is thus one the more effective methods to combat server delay. With the burden divided between multiple server-nodes, it will be possible to increase view distances.

5) "CROSS-REALM BATTLEGROUNDS!!!"

Clustering will make Cross-Realms BG a possibility but no promises there as there are more hurdles to overcome.

Hope this helps.

The GM Team.
Pottu
Game Master
Game Master

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements