Clustering development insight

Nostalrius official announcements

Re: Clustering development insight

by idosky » Wed Feb 17, 2016 1:46 pm

Correct me if im wrong, so this wil be like Age of Conan ? where ppl can hide on different nodes?
In that case, it would RUIN the mmo feeling completly...And the main reason why I play Vanilla at nost.
idosky
Grunt
Grunt

by Buki » Wed Feb 17, 2016 1:47 pm

Wouldn't it make more sense for the "master" to not host any map? Seems like it would be more fault tolerant, and more like the system they used in retail. In retail the Kalimdor, Eastern Kingdoms, and Instances servers could go down while the other servers within the realm were running fine. Here's a more technical video a developer posted last year which shows more of what's going on behind the scenes for those that are interested. You can find the link below or in the related videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdZZF2qtZyA
Buki
Grunt
Grunt

by Dreez » Wed Feb 17, 2016 1:48 pm

idosky wrote:Correct me if im wrong, so this wil be like Age of Conan ? where ppl can hide on different nodes?
In that case, it would RUIN the mmo feeling completly...And the main reason why I play Vanilla at nost.

no, different nodes would most likely only apply to different maps

or in a way similar to the current system with zone borders where phasing occurs
Dreez - PvP server
<Endzeit>
Dreez
Knight-Lieutenant
Knight-Lieutenant

by Mandrivia » Wed Feb 17, 2016 1:49 pm

Seems cool if implemented properly.

Anyway, the phasing in a same map is a great problem pvp-wise, so here's one guy hoping there is only 1 "instance" of every map at the same time.

Dont turn this into GW2
Mandrivia
Tester

by shaz92 » Wed Feb 17, 2016 1:51 pm

so we wont see other players ? just chat ?
Nostalrius PVP Night Elf Warrior
shaz92
Tester

by joeranimo » Wed Feb 17, 2016 1:59 pm

This sounds really good.
good luck in the development process!

cant wait to get an increased sight ;D
joeranimo
Private
Private

by Sharax » Wed Feb 17, 2016 2:02 pm

That seems very similar to what WoW did after WoD launch. When the population of a particular server got high, it would spawn a new instance of an overpopulated zone. I can be in phase 1, while a realm mate would be in phase 2. We couldn't see each other but we could still communicate.

I played on a WPvP heavy server and this concept turned out to be awful. Opposing players would phase in and out of your view, making WPvP atrocious. Based on your video, it looks like players will exist in different phases and that has me concerned.

If you're going to split the population into different phases when they are in the same zone, I have to admit... I wouldn't be excited about this at all.
@CharaxS
Sharax
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

by Dreez » Wed Feb 17, 2016 2:05 pm

Sharax wrote:That seems very similar to what WoW did after WoD launch. When the population of a particular server got high, it would spawn a new instance of an overpopulated zone. I can be in phase 1, while a realm mate would be in phase 2. We couldn't see each other but we could still communicate.

I played on a WPvP heavy server and this concept turned out to be awful. Opposing players would phase in and out of your view, making WPvP atrocious. Based on your video, it looks like players will exist in different phases and that has me concerned.

If you're going to split the population into different phases when they are in the same zone, I have to admit... I wouldn't be excited about this at all.

as stated in the video, the way it is supposed to work is not having 2 instances of the same world and phase out players.
They're planning on only "phasing out" different continents which shouldn't be noticed in game at all.

But true, the video isn't explaining this very well
Dreez - PvP server
<Endzeit>
Dreez
Knight-Lieutenant
Knight-Lieutenant

by Blaze » Wed Feb 17, 2016 2:20 pm

Seems pretty self explanatory to me, split the load of each continent, raid dungeons, bg's on it's own individual node.

Don't think any of what they are planning includes separate instances for the same zone, or players being able to "phase out."
Blaze
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

by Sharax » Wed Feb 17, 2016 2:26 pm

Blaze wrote:Seems pretty self explanatory to me, split the load of each continent, raid dungeons, bg's on it's own individual node.

Don't think any of what they are planning includes separate instances for the same zone, or players being able to "phase out."

Ah, OK. I watched the video again and saw where they said they could use a separate node for each continent. I guess the visual demo of having someone wink out to a new world to kill a mob, while the other person could still kill the same mob threw me off.

That said, the post talks about adding multiple servers when necessary. I guess some clarification is necessary on whether they would use multiple nodes per continent.
@CharaxS
Sharax
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements