First official update since Nostalrius shutdown

Nostalrius official announcements

Re: First official update since Nostalrius shutdown

by Dr. Doom » Sun Apr 17, 2016 4:58 pm

Tidbid wrote:Honestly, if the US owns something. They will go anywhere they want to stop someone from using it the way they do not want it to be used.

AMERICA

A corporation isn't the same as the US Govt. In fact, several American interests would get a kick out of seeing ATVI plummet and burn.
Dr. Doom
Knight-Lieutenant
Knight-Lieutenant

by Batafleck » Sun Apr 17, 2016 5:24 pm

Well, the MPAA did convinced the US Gouvernement to get in touch with Sweden to organize a raid on the Pirate Bay servers, and nuke them like we're being nuked. But in this case I don't think Blizzard is big enough for that, the MPAA is one of the the biggest assholes reunion out there right now, they dwarf Blizzard
Batafleck
Tester

by theluda » Sun Apr 17, 2016 6:06 pm

Legally speaking all the speculation is pointless right now. As Nostalrius has not released the letter (the could cover up their personal information easily) we have no reference for what law actually is grounds for this.

Thus also making it impossible to take any action against.
theluda
Sergeant
Sergeant

by slickz » Sun Apr 17, 2016 6:06 pm

theluda wrote:Legally speaking all the speculation is pointless right now. As Nostalrius has not released the letter (the could cover up their personal information easily) we have no reference for what law actually is grounds for this.

Thus also making it impossible to take any action against.

"Truth"

One day, there will be legacy realms. All this will be all be a bad dream.

Just need to wake up.
slickz
Grunt
Grunt

by cmill78 » Sun Apr 17, 2016 7:41 pm

theluda wrote:There is a difference between the rights granted when buying a packaged software, copyrights and intellectual property.

Nostalrius is not violating the EULA e.g. if they do not run the game client. Individual players can do though.
The Nostalrius case is more about intellectual properties, and the rights to pertaining ownership and control over them. As it is now, Nostalrius is basically using Blizzards' IP without a license. Letting this go on would mean, Blizzard were to lose their IP. So they have to defend it, or they will lose the rights to pertain ownership.

It's actually dead simple, and not a case of EULA or copyright. It's about trade marked intellectual properties.

I do believe I stated: "The reason why Blizzard can, at any time, come down on a private server (whether the server makes a profit or not) is because they are not only using Blizzard's intellectual property without permission, but allowing players to access the intellectual property on non-official Blizzard servers". So I am not sure why you are pointing out something I already agree with and made comment on.

As it pertains to the EULA/TOS Blizzard has people 'agree' to; I fully understand that EU has different laws regarding stuff like this, but my point was that the EULA/TOS is not irrelevant because if it were, it would not need be part of the process any time a patch or expansion is applied to the game. It may not be the reason Blizzard can attack Nostalirus but it is certainly not irrelevant.
When there's nothing left to burn, you have to set yourself on fire.
cmill78
Sergeant
Sergeant

by ven1k » Sun Apr 17, 2016 8:12 pm

Please do not give up on us :( Keep pissing against the wind!
ven1k
Tester

by Dardyksa » Sun Apr 17, 2016 8:48 pm

cmill78 wrote:As it pertains to the EULA/TOS Blizzard has people 'agree' to; I fully understand that EU has different laws regarding stuff like this, but my point was that the EULA/TOS is not irrelevant because if it were, it would not need be part of the process any time a patch or expansion is applied to the game. It may not be the reason Blizzard can attack Nostalirus but it is certainly not irrelevant.

Considerng laws change every month in european countries (kidding on month but they really change often in european countries and especially in my country France) and Blizzard never got sued by EU, or a EU country, or any private person in europe, we can assume they just didn't bother (with all troubles and exepnsive lawyers costs) to adjust agreement to all particulars laws of EU and each country of EU.

A point to consider about European justice is that contracts betwween 2 parties (individuals or companies or both) are no as important as they are in USA justice.
In Europe, and particulary in France law is above everything...
... no contract or legal precedents can decide something different from law or even only modify even a little bit the law.
Law rules everything in France. And even if Blizzard doesn't sue Nostalrius owners, the (french) attorney could decide to do it and send 'em to jail for a while...
Dardyksa
Grunt
Grunt

by Dr. Doom » Sun Apr 17, 2016 9:44 pm

cmill78 wrote:
I do believe I stated: "The reason why Blizzard can, at any time, come down on a private server (whether the server makes a profit or not) is because they are not only using Blizzard's intellectual property without permission, but allowing players to access the intellectual property on non-official Blizzard servers". So I am not sure why you are pointing out something I already agree with and made comment on.

As it pertains to the EULA/TOS Blizzard has people 'agree' to; I fully understand that EU has different laws regarding stuff like this, but my point was that the EULA/TOS is not irrelevant because if it were, it would not need be part of the process any time a patch or expansion is applied to the game. It may not be the reason Blizzard can attack Nostalirus but it is certainly not irrelevant.

Sorry to say, but in practical terms both of those little things mean next to nothing. EULA/ToS is the same thing as a restaurant/bar code of dressing or conduct. The only sanction they can exert is restricting or terminating the service you get within the confines of the product/service.

In Blizzard's case, the worst they can do is permanently banning your account, which means.... nothing for so many of us who no longer play nor plan to play in retail. My account is at Burning Crusade level, having paid for both vanilla and BC, it has been inactive for years as I have no interest in playing any of the other expansions, nor do I plan to return to it when the world available to me is just 1-70 WoD.

They are welcome to ban it if they want, that's all their little napkin-written rules are worth. They do not result in any legal consequences, not more than entering a black tie restaurant in shorts would or yelling very loudly in a private meeting.

---

The reason why players have to accept it everytime, is because by doing so, they accept their retail account has to abide certain rules or it gets banned. That's the extent of it. If they didn't have people sign it, any person who got banned could argue that he never agreed to behave in X or Y form.

That's it. It has no legal repercussions of any kind or sort.
Dr. Doom
Knight-Lieutenant
Knight-Lieutenant

by cmill78 » Sun Apr 17, 2016 10:11 pm

Dr. Doom wrote:The only sanction they can exert is restricting or terminating the service you get within the confines of the product/service. In Blizzard's case, the worst they can do is permanently banning your account That's it. It has no legal repercussions of any kind or sort.

So you are saying that according to the EULA/TOS, Blizzard can terminate/ban your account? I guess that means it isn't irrelevant. Which was my point. Sure, it means nothing to you, because you don't plan on going back to retail, but how many people here still had BNet accounts on this forum, either active or inactive, with thoughts of possibly returning? Quite a few judging by all the people on these forums that said they were deleting their BNet accounts. Yes, EU law is different than the US, but the EULA/TOS still serve a purpose, if for no other reason, giving Blizzard the right to control what happens to your account if you violate their EULA/TOS. Again, doesn't sound irrelevant to me. Yes, they can't shut down a private server because of the EULA/TOS but they can shut it down because Nostalrius was stealing their intellectual property. Which is what likely happened.
When there's nothing left to burn, you have to set yourself on fire.
cmill78
Sergeant
Sergeant

by gulei » Mon Apr 18, 2016 7:19 am

thanks for nostalrius team,u are very good~
gulei
Tester

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements