First official update since Nostalrius shutdown

Nostalrius official announcements

Re: First official update since Nostalrius shutdown

by theluda » Mon Apr 18, 2016 12:09 pm

cmill78 wrote:So you are saying that according to the EULA/TOS, Blizzard can terminate/ban your account?

To be precise, they can disallow you from accessing their infrastructure as you fail to comply. But that still keeps your the usage rights to the software.

cmill78 wrote:Yes, they can't shut down a private server because of the EULA/TOS but they can shut it down because Nostalrius was stealing their intellectual property. Which is what likely happened.

As mentioned previously, unless Nostalrius publishes the notice they received, anything is pure speculation.

I've been in the scene since 2004, and ever since then no server claiming to receive such a notice did provide proof.
theluda
Sergeant
Sergeant

by Drasheran » Mon Apr 18, 2016 12:31 pm

Lets just trust the Nostalrius team. Never have they steered us wrong.
Drasheran
Grunt
Grunt

by slickz » Mon Apr 18, 2016 12:55 pm

Drasheran wrote:Lets just trust the Nostalrius team. Never have they steered us wrong.

I agree. They have never given any reason to doubt.

Check this out
Last edited by slickz on Tue Apr 19, 2016 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
slickz
Grunt
Grunt

by Lyrilin » Mon Apr 18, 2016 3:41 pm

Ya'll did a great job and I miss this game and world so very much!! We need it back, period, I am so depressed.
Lyrilin
Tester

by donharkins » Mon Apr 18, 2016 9:36 pm

So when do we say that we want the info released so that if any new realm wants to use the info to recreate nost, they can use it?
donharkins
Tester

by Sett » Tue Apr 19, 2016 10:35 am

I apologize for my English, because forced to use a machine translator.
Dear developers, thanks to you and many other players I have experienced unforgettable moments of nostalgia and a storm of positive emotions and enchanting. But then came the moment when all the good ends. Though I always wordy, but I don't think there are words able to fully Express all my sorrow and hatred regarding the closure of such a wonderful server as your. All my friends and personally I myself signed a petition addressed to those greedy and evil people that so ruthlessly destroyed your work and cut short such an unforgettable adventure with other players.
In conclusion I want to sincerely thank you for the titanic work you have done and for what was opened again in the primeval world "WoW" for tens and hundreds of thousands of people. I am sure that justice will one day prevail as it once was.
Wish you all the best and bright in your life.

With respect, sincerely your loyal player Sett
Sett
Tester

by slickz » Tue Apr 19, 2016 2:49 pm

Not much going on it seems...
slickz
Grunt
Grunt

by Wryshu » Tue Apr 19, 2016 5:57 pm

theluda wrote:I've been in the scene since 2004, and ever since then no server claiming to receive such a notice did provide proof.

Here is a conspiracy theory for you...

The Nostalrius core team's plan all along was to land jobs or otherwise profit big from Blizzard.

Whether or not the C&D was real or not...

They have no intention of releasing their updated mangos source, even though it was created on the shoulders of giants from the past they stood on in taking the code to a new level. Instead, they are thinking of hording it, and bringing it with them to Blizzard so they too can profit big from the vanilla server Blizzard will now be forced to offer, for the low monthly price of $15 for some 150k+ users.

Once again the creator and all other contributors to mangos over the years, get nothing in return from another group who has profited from the code, while not giving back updates nor improvements made.

While other sins grow old, greed remains young :)

I personally have faith that they will do the right thing and make public their mangosd/realmd source and scripts (minus the ddos, spammer, botter, swatter, etc, code that would encourage profiteering) Although, I do understand the worry, since about 99.999% of all other servers shut down like this have never given back to the mangos community.

Let's have some faith and patience. They'll do the right thing.
Wryshu
Grunt
Grunt

by Altrusian » Tue Apr 19, 2016 8:05 pm

Viper wrote: you will have to explicitly choose to have your personal information included on the public data release if you wish so

Does "personal information" mean account information and/or information required for our character accounts to be included with the public release? Can you please tell us how we may inform you that we wish to have our accounts included in the public data release. I believe that many of us have nothing more than our login credentials and would like for our accounts to be included in the public data release.

Regards,
Altrusian
Altrusian
Tester

by phyriel » Wed Apr 20, 2016 1:49 am

Altrusian wrote:
Viper wrote: you will have to explicitly choose to have your personal information included on the public data release if you wish so

Does "personal information" mean account information and/or information required for our character accounts to be included with the public release? Can you please tell us how we may inform you that we wish to have our accounts included in the public data release. I believe that many of us have nothing more than our login credentials and would like for our accounts to be included in the public data release.

Regards,
Altrusian

This! +1
phyriel
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements