Blizzard meeting scheduled

Nostalrius official announcements

Re: Blizzard meeting scheduled

by abbath » Mon May 16, 2016 7:36 am

only scheduled????! :shock: very slow!!!

are you (or Blizz) waiting until interest subsides???
abbath
Sergeant
Sergeant

by Winterflaw » Mon May 16, 2016 8:02 am

> No precise date nor schedule will be provided for security reasons

Srsly? I may be wrong, but I think this is inappropriate. It feels to me like the ongoing news theme of the last ten years is leading to "security" - which is to say, secrecy - permiating into many areas of life where it does not belong.
Winterflaw
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

by Winterflaw » Mon May 16, 2016 8:06 am

abbath wrote:

only scheduled????! :shock: very slow!!!

are you (or Blizz) waiting until interest subsides???

Organizing a meeting with senior staff in any major company normally has a long lead time. Each of them is fully or nearly fully booked up for a considerable time in advance. The first date and time where all of them are free is typically some time in the future.
Last edited by Winterflaw on Mon May 16, 2016 8:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
Winterflaw
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

by Winterflaw » Mon May 16, 2016 8:08 am

> We are excited to announce that the meeting date has been decided: it will
> occur at the beginning of June at Blizzard HQ, Irvine.

Good stuff.

Who's attending? is Mark Kern going to be there?
Winterflaw
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

by Arucado » Mon May 16, 2016 10:53 am

the meeting will end with a "I'll see what i can do" from Mike Morhaime and you guys know what that means.
Arucado
Stone Guard
Stone Guard

by Smokinwii » Mon May 16, 2016 11:58 am

This is better than Christmas when I was five last year.
Founder/GM PvE Guild: FarmsNdungeons
Smokinwii
Sergeant
Sergeant

by Baalderoth » Mon May 16, 2016 1:00 pm

How about live video stream connected to this meeting....?
Baalderoth
Tester

by Galadourn » Mon May 16, 2016 1:32 pm

Winterflaw wrote:> We are excited to announce that the meeting date has been decided: it will
> occur at the beginning of June at Blizzard HQ, Irvine.

Good stuff.

Who's attending? is Mark Kern going to be there?

They will have separate meetings.
Galadourn
Grunt
Grunt

by huertakas » Mon May 16, 2016 1:51 pm

Don't go fooling yourselves, this will be an intense developer discussion, fueled by business strategy versus non-profit strategy.

Blizzards' developers will argue that:
- rewriting million lines of code for vanilla is required and too much work...
- game client 1.12.1 has too may bugs, security and performance flaws...
- that if the slow vanilla experience to 60 is good, the slow legion experience to lvl 110 should also be good...
...so Pristine is the only way to go.

Nostalrius' developers will argue that:
- emulation tackles any security argument, and performance is moot since the game is not CPU, memory or bandwidth heavy
- many vanilla bugs have been fixed by Nostalrius already, including within-emulation exploits
- that it's not just about the speed of leveling, but the tuning of all related content as well
...so Legacy servers are the only way to go.

It's hard to say at this point which side will win, but do not expect this to be an easy fight. I hope they can find common ground in understanding the elements that makes a vanilla player want to play.
- high effort to reward ratio
- rewards being tuned to keep the challenge
- content requiring team play
- PvP balance (often neglected)

TL,DR: Blizzard will argue the casual player (money), Nostalrius will argue the hardcore player (fun).
huertakas
Private
Private

by Kikeron » Mon May 16, 2016 2:07 pm

huertakas wrote:Don't go fooling yourselves, this will be an intense developer discussion, fueled by business strategy versus non-profit strategy.

Blizzards' developers will argue that:
- rewriting million lines of code for vanilla is required and too much work...
- game client 1.12.1 has too may bugs, security and performance flaws...
- that if the slow vanilla experience to 60 is good, the slow legion experience to lvl 110 should also be good...
...so Pristine is the only way to go.

Nostalrius' developers will argue that:
- emulation tackles any security argument, and performance is moot since the game is not CPU, memory or bandwidth heavy
- many vanilla bugs have been fixed by Nostalrius already, including within-emulation exploits
- that it's not just about the speed of leveling, but the tuning of all related content as well
...so Legacy servers are the only way to go.

It's hard to say at this point which side will win, but do not expect this to be an easy fight. I hope they can find common ground in understanding the elements that makes a vanilla player want to play.
- high effort to reward ratio
- rewards being tuned to keep the challenge
- content requiring team play
- PvP balance (often neglected)

TL,DR: Blizzard will argue the casual player (money), Nostalrius will argue the hardcore player (fun).

I agree with many of these. Vanilla is really worse than live. Class design, PvP balance etc. But stating hardcore is vanilla is wrong. If you compare how much more difficult is mythic raiding on live to vanilla raiding you would agree with me. Vanilla is for casual raiding. The leveling process is hard, yes. But this is not what is all about. It is a part of the game.

Nost must prove that there are people ready to pay for this. And please do not count people in this thread. It is not enough. And do not count people that are already subscribed at live and might get access to this thing (pristine with some sugar). It is not easy. At least I hope for them to find a job there.
Kikeron
Sergeant
Sergeant

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements