Post Mortem document release

Nostalrius official announcements

Re: Post Mortem document release

by Yacopok » Thu Aug 11, 2016 2:54 pm

Still, no update in a very long time. Blizzard not saying anything either, and having to wait for Blizzcon to hear an official announcement sucks. At the same time the silence on both ends makes me wonder if the people saying that Nost was shut down because the staff wanted to get jobs at Blizzard weren't true... The server being shut down because they are being sued by Blizzard? Hasn't that happened before and Blizzard wasn't able to win? Shady, all of this is shady.
I'm out there, two steps ahead.
Yacopok
Private
Private

by Motorbreath » Fri Aug 12, 2016 12:52 pm

Use off topic for advertising please.
Motorbreath
Private
Private

by abbath » Sun Aug 14, 2016 11:49 am

re-launch Nostalrius servers so Blizzard will hurry up with their POSITIVE decision
abbath
Sergeant
Sergeant

by Motorbreath » Sun Aug 14, 2016 1:50 pm

off-topic.
Motorbreath
Private
Private

by St0rfan » Mon Aug 15, 2016 7:52 am

Off-topic
Last edited by Pottu on Wed Aug 17, 2016 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Advertising
St0rfan
Stone Guard
Stone Guard

by Pottu » Wed Aug 17, 2016 4:08 pm

Please remember that the Off-topic section is for discussion of other servers.
Pottu
Game Master
Game Master

by locario » Wed Aug 17, 2016 9:10 pm

and what's next step will do Nostalrius team now until Blizzard's 5 years response will be deployed?
locario
Sergeant
Sergeant

by beefjerky » Sun Sep 11, 2016 10:43 pm

What about opening the server again in Russia. There are other private servers that are very popular, yet not nearly as well scripted as Nostalrius, they are hosted in Russia and Blizzard cannot touch them there.
Just start it back up with Russian hosting a F*ck Blizz right in their sh*t holes!!!

I went back to retail after this wonderful server was shut down, thinking that my support there may have a positive impact on them hosting legacy. I am now a firm believer in NOT letting them host legacy. They will just f*ck it up like they have with their expansions.

I have found and reported so many bugs on retail Blizzard WoW. I thought I was playing some horrible scripted private server, BUT I WAS PAYING FOR IT!!!

My point is, I purchased my retail copy of Legacy WoW. Paid for all those years and expansions. What they provided is not anywhere near what was provided by your team. They want to sue to protect their intellectual property? YOU, YOUR TEAM, and the emulation community made the server core. Not one piece of the code came from Blizzard team, now or in the past. The only grounds they have is that they made the client.... which I purchased.... and they have long since abandoned..... In what sane mind do they have ANY claim on property?

I can list at least 5 changes that I personally recommended to the World of Warcraft. Blizzard used my ideas, implemented them into their game. Did they pay me for MY intellectual property? No, they used it freely as I published my ideas on their forums with my suggestions. They have "borrowed" ideas from other MMO games.

My point is, Blizzard is like a small child, they seen players playing with a "Toy" that they once played with and have long since tossed it in the dumpster. You simply created a very impressive toy box capable of holding more players then they even came near to supporting. Now they want to cry about it.

Please host your server in Russia like all the other untouchable private servers are.
beefjerky
Private
Private

by Norjak » Mon Sep 12, 2016 2:42 am

beefjerky wrote:Please host your server in Russia like all the other untouchable private servers are.

That would be a shitty thing to do after Blizzard flew the Nost staff to California where they met with some of the original creators of vanilla personally.
It would make sense to pass the databases, etc. to some other responsible group and have them host the game out of reach from Blizzard's money-grubbing lawyers.
Norjak
Stone Guard
Stone Guard

by hiperzone » Sat Apr 08, 2017 4:09 pm

Hello,
I have been reading the post-morten document and found some inconsistencies that would love to have them fixed once you have time.

On the section about private servers, it should be noted that Mangos is not based on the server called WoW Daemon but based on WoWD.
WoWD may be an abbreviation for WoW Daemon but officialy they are diferente servers. WoWD was the most advanced server at the time and was coded in c++ when WoW Daemon was a c# project :)

I hope that clarifies it. If you need to review the emulation history, I can provide a decente and mostly accurate document of the earlier emulation days.

Thank you.
hiperzone
Tester

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements