Is PPM a thing in vanilla?

Share your secret tips about your favorite class here !

Is PPM a thing in vanilla?

by Madcap » Tue Apr 28, 2015 1:28 pm

I'm wondering if proc per minute was a thing in vanilla, or if everything is based on a flat percentage to proc?
Madcap
Tester

Re: Is PPM a thing in vanilla?

by Keftenk » Tue Apr 28, 2015 1:44 pm

It is a thing. However, a lot of the items on Nost are bugged or have the default ManGOS proc rate on them. Such as Ebon Hilt being 100% when it's supposed to be 8% >_> I do have a bugtracker ticket opened on it, but it has since gone unseen at this point.
Keftenk
Stone Guard
Stone Guard

by Youfie » Tue Apr 28, 2015 2:14 pm

Madcap wrote:I'm wondering if proc per minute was a thing in vanilla, or if everything is based on a flat percentage to proc?

Enchants are PPM.
Youfie
Knight-Lieutenant
Knight-Lieutenant

by Armilus » Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:21 pm

It depends on your understanding of PPM...

In short, no, it is not a thing in vanilla.

There is nothing in the code that makes sure a proc only occurs X amount of times per minute. Some things, like enchants (as youfie mentioned) have a dynamic proc chance based on weapon speed; however, you can still increase the procs per minute by getting more attacks with the weapon (by using windfury for example). This 'dynamic' proc chance isn't really all that dynamic either, if you gain a buff that increases your attack speed the proc chance doesn't change. It is really a static proc chance that is set when you enchant the weapon. This prevents enchants from being way more powerful on slower weapons.

If the above doesn't make any sense to you, then let me explain the difference between proc CHANCE and proc RATE.

The proc chance is a straight up percentage. For example, if the proc chance is 5%, then every single attack you make with that weapon has a 5% chance to proc. This deals entirely with single attacks.

The proc rate is the number of procs you get in a set period of time. This can be modified simply by attacking more in that set period of time. For example, if you attack once in a minute you will probably have a PPM of 0. If you somehow manage to attack 100 times in a minute with a 5% proc chance, you will probably have a PPM of 5.

If you are talking about the PPM of an enchant, it simply means that the static proc chance depends on weapon speed and will be set such that you can expect to probably get that many procs if you sit there and auto attack for 60 seconds with no speed buffs or special attacks. Obviously a 1.3 speed dagger would need a much lower proc chance than a 4.00 speed 2H weapon to achieve this.
Cadmus - Priest, Nostalrius Begins PvP
Stabsington - Rogue, Nostalrius Begins PvP
Armilus
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

by Madcap » Wed Apr 29, 2015 8:22 pm

Thank you for posting such a detailed and informative post :) I'm still a little bit confused about the whole thing, but what I'd basicly like to know is whether I should enchant fiery weapon on a fast weapon or a slow weapon for my low leveled warrior, or if it doesn't matter at all
Madcap
Tester

by Youfie » Wed Apr 29, 2015 9:39 pm

Madcap wrote:Thank you for posting such a detailed and informative post :) I'm still a little bit confused about the whole thing, but what I'd basicly like to know is whether I should enchant fiery weapon on a fast weapon or a slow weapon for my low leveled warrior, or if it doesn't matter at all

It doesn't matter at all if the said weapon is an OH. If it's a MH, it has to be slow. But your MH should already be slow anyway (to maximize specials damage).

Either way, enchanting a MH will always yield more procs than enchanting an OH, due to specials, regardless of weapons speeds.
Last edited by Youfie on Thu Apr 30, 2015 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Youfie
Knight-Lieutenant
Knight-Lieutenant

by nervous » Wed Apr 29, 2015 9:45 pm

Madcap wrote:Thank you for posting such a detailed and informative post :) I'm still a little bit confused about the whole thing, but what I'd basicly like to know is whether I should enchant fiery weapon on a fast weapon or a slow weapon for my low leveled warrior, or if it doesn't matter at all

Speed is irrelevant in all things pve except TPS, hunter rotations, and rogue offhands
<GRIZZLY>
nervous
Knight-Lieutenant
Knight-Lieutenant

by Madcap » Thu Apr 30, 2015 7:39 am

Thanks!
Madcap
Tester

by Armilus » Fri May 01, 2015 7:53 pm

nervous wrote:

Speed is irrelevant in all things pve except TPS, hunter rotations, and rogue offhands

Nervous is 100% correct.

You will probably hear people talking about weapon speed in other situations like Arms warriors or Rogue main hands for sinister strike. What really matters in this situations is damage, not weapon speed. If you have two weapons with the same DPS, the one with higher damage per hit is better when you have instant-use abilities that deal weapon damage.

I've seen many rogues with a slow main hand turn down a fast weapon because "it's too fast for MH"... except it still did more damage per attack so it would be better hands down.
Cadmus - Priest, Nostalrius Begins PvP
Stabsington - Rogue, Nostalrius Begins PvP
Armilus
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

by Undertanker » Tue May 05, 2015 9:50 pm

PPM was a tbc and on thing. In retail (2005) i did with a rogue everything with chance on hit, all of which can proc off each other. This was op so was changed.

So your question then turns to what items are highest proc chance, firey weapon proc the most, life stealing was second, n better for tanks in 5 mans n solo.

For warrior at lower lvl get firey on a fast weapon, or duel wield. If ur 2 handing, enchant impact to give overpower and MS more damage.

Impact is also good for rogues n tanks that main hand dagger. Rogue because abilities are 300%ish of weapon damage, and for me tanking, i use julies dagger, the heal stays up always, but damage range is in the 60s cause it is a 1.3 speed. I get impact 5, and shapen store 8, and now my fast dagger has over 20 more dmage range, giving even higher dps.
Undertanker
Stone Guard
Stone Guard

Next

Return to Mechanics and classes