Attack Power

Share your secret tips about your favorite class here !

Attack Power

by Psilocybin » Mon Feb 23, 2015 11:26 pm

I can't remember how "Attack Power" on items functioned pre-TBC.

Some sources are saying that "Attack Power" on items was actually "Melee Attack Power" and that it was or wasn't later changed in Vanilla to include "Ranged Attack Power".
Other sources are saying that "Attack Power" was always "Melee Attack Power" and "Ranged Attack Power".

Can anyone clarify which it is?
Psilocybin
Private
Private

Re: Attack Power

by Eyeful » Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:12 am

AP = MAP or RAP
RAP = RAP

Classes also have stat conversions which generate AP, example being hunter, where they get 2 ap per 1 agi. Unless it's marked as RAP, AP will affect both melee and ranged.

Example of RAP only item
Example of AP item

There is no such thing as melee only AP stat, unless you count talents or spells that increase melee dmg by x%.
Eyeful
Sergeant
Sergeant

by mrmr » Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:04 am

Eyeful wrote:AP = MAP or RAP
RAP = RAP

Classes also have stat conversions which generate AP, example being hunter, where they get 2 ap per 1 agi. Unless it's marked as RAP, AP will affect both melee and ranged.

Example of RAP only item
Example of AP item

There is no such thing as melee only AP stat, unless you count talents or spells that increase melee dmg by x%.

For items sure, but buffs weren't this way.

Buffs granting AP, were granting ONLY MAP.
I will be playing a hunter, so I would prefer your way Eyeful, but that's not how things worked back then.

EDIT:
sorry, misread the OP question.
He was asking specifically about "items"
I'm not root of myself.
mrmr
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

by mike1097 » Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:06 pm

Further question as a warrior.

1 Strength was = 2 AP?
"Drunhall"
60 Protection Warrior
<It burns when I PvP>

Alliance
Nostalrius Begins PvP
mike1097
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

by bishop » Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:09 pm

mike1097 wrote:Further question as a warrior.

1 Strength was = 2 AP?

yes

http://vanilla-wow.wikia.com/wiki/Attributes
Nejtiri 19 Hunter
Ghul 29 Rogue
Cassilda 29 Priest
Cassi 29 Shaman
Leaf 39 Resto Druid
bishop
Sergeant
Sergeant

by Eyeful » Tue Feb 24, 2015 1:32 pm

Buffs granting AP, were granting ONLY MAP.

I'd like to clarify that, too. Some buffs were changed over time to cause less headaches to buffing groups. You might wonder why a hunter would be upset at getting a Blessing of Might, or a Battle Shout since if you read the tooltip carefully, it only granted melee attack power, and not a flat AP buff. Or why hunters don't get to use Hunter's Mark in raids with 8 debuff slots, since it only affects ranged attack power. These were a direct affect to AP for either melee or ranged.

You can also get into "passive" AP boosts, that aren't directly saying they give AP to certain classes. Shaman totems come to mind, mainly, Str totem and Agi totem. The Agi would generate AP for rogues, catform, and hunters. While as Str would give AP to rogues, hunters, shamans, and warriors, only sham-rogue-war would benefit from the AP since it gives melee AP. Hunters would be left out (unless you want to smack a boss), except for their pets.

It may be silly, but it's one of those things you learn passively as you play.

Edit* Forgot Kitties, since no one brings them to raids. Also left out casters, cause ap for casting is just silly.
Eyeful
Sergeant
Sergeant

by Psilocybin » Wed Feb 25, 2015 4:20 am

"Items" being equippable or consumable is what I meant.
Was merely having a discussion with my mates that are coming to play here, and we had a few varying ideas, and so did the internet, so yeah.

Mhm, based on the replies, I think it's just going to be something that'll need to be tested in-game for verification.. or get a GM to comment.
Psilocybin
Private
Private

by br3athr » Wed Aug 05, 2015 6:23 pm

It was always to my knowledge that AP gave MAP and RAP; however, my ranged dps and RAP stats remain unchanged in my character tab when I remove an item with an AP stat on it. I tested this after someone on the server told me that AP doesn't affect RAP in this version of the game. Since my stats reflect this, I am inclined to believe that AP will not add RAP. Can anyone provide evidence to the contrary?

*edit* This has since been fixed. Items with AP now show in both RAP and MAP.
br3athr
Grunt
Grunt

Return to Mechanics and classes