How do my final class choices "play"?

Share your secret tips about your favorite class here !

How do my final class choices "play"?

by Skyy » Sun May 24, 2015 11:22 pm

Hi guys. Firstly, sorry if this seems blunt. I typed this out for 40 minutes, then going to preview that 5 second loading screen for the site wiped my box, I'm just guna quickly type it all back with the jist. Also, don't worry. I'm not asking "what's the best class/spec" but rather want more insight as to how my final choices function in their playstyle. Don't wanna repeat the long road to 60 only to think "not for me...".

Hunter - Auto attack, arcane shot and tranq when necessary. Make sure your pet is fed to 150% dmg and keep him alive.

Mage - Spam frostbolt and be the CC god you are if needed.

Druid - Healing touch the guys low on HP and HoT the less important guys.

Shaman - Cycle totems depending on situation. healers use healing wave ranks. Ele uses shocks and LBolt spam.

Priest - You have heals for every situation, from preventing to HoT's to big chunk heals. Go shadow if there are 3-4 warlocks in the raid.

Does this sound about right? I Like the sound of priest but would like shadow to be more than just buffing warlocks. Also, I believe as a priest I'll be HK bait while levelling. Druid tiers look sexy but I just dnno how they feel to play. Mage was my main TBC-Cata but I spent vanilla on a hunter 2 shotting them so I dnno where that leaves me.

Basically, I want something that's generally good all around. I love the sound of priest/druid for groups but am worried that without dual spec solo content will be literal hell as a healer. let me know what you think! Looking forward to joining the community.
Skyy
Private
Private

Re: How do my final class choices "play"?

by Rhinzual30 » Mon May 25, 2015 3:15 am

Skyy wrote:Hi guys. Firstly, sorry if this seems blunt. I typed this out for 40 minutes, then going to preview that 5 second loading screen for the site wiped my box, I'm just guna quickly type it all back with the jist. Also, don't worry. I'm not asking "what's the best class/spec" but rather want more insight as to how my final choices function in their playstyle. Don't wanna repeat the long road to 60 only to think "not for me...".

Hunter - Auto attack, arcane shot and tranq when necessary. Make sure your pet is fed to 150% dmg and keep him alive.

Mage - Spam frostbolt and be the CC god you are if needed.

Druid - Healing touch the guys low on HP and HoT the less important guys.

Shaman - Cycle totems depending on situation. healers use healing wave ranks. Ele uses shocks and LBolt spam.

Priest - You have heals for every situation, from preventing to HoT's to big chunk heals. Go shadow if there are 3-4 warlocks in the raid.

Does this sound about right? I Like the sound of priest but would like shadow to be more than just buffing warlocks. Also, I believe as a priest I'll be HK bait while levelling. Druid tiers look sexy but I just dnno how they feel to play. Mage was my main TBC-Cata but I spent vanilla on a hunter 2 shotting them so I dnno where that leaves me.

Basically, I want something that's generally good all around. I love the sound of priest/druid for groups but am worried that without dual spec solo content will be literal hell as a healer. let me know what you think! Looking forward to joining the community.

I'd avoid shadow priests for raiding right now, the debuff limit is still only 8. When it gets bumped up to 16, then the Shadow Priests will be able to help out the warlocks much more.

Due to itemization being subpar and weird talent, ele shamans aren't in high demand... at all. Mages and warlocks will always beat your dps. As for totems, ask the guild if they want a specific one up, though I hear they're kinda bugged at the moment and using the wrong totem effects.

Hunters are more or less spot on, but also be an Engineer, namely a goblin engineer for those jumper cables and if you're using a gun, keep yourself stocked up on crafted Thorium Shells.

Mage is more or less right, but also bring food and drinks for the classes that need it to reduce downtime. Those priests are gonna be staring at you, waiting for stacks of water.

As a priest while leveling, it'll be harder for you to look like HK bait when you're in your domain known as the group healer and have several people dedicated to keeping you alive while they do their best to murderize whatever looks at you funny. If you want something that's good all around for soloing, grouping, and instances, you can't go wrong as a Hunter or Warlock, but understand that most raiding guilds only take a few hunters with them at a time compared to mages and locks. Mages are also up there with hunter and locks in terms of soloing, grouping, and instance viability. That and they are nightmares in pvp if they get the jump on someone.

As for druids, you can bear form to off-tank at times, and the upcoming itemization for newer items will make it much easier for feral-spec druids in raids and such. It's just that Vanilla pigeonholes the hybrid classes into specific roles, it was when TBC hit that the hybrid classes started to shine in other specs and Wrath saw them flourish even more.
Rhinzual30
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

by Skyy » Mon May 25, 2015 9:45 am

Rhinzual30 wrote:I'd avoid shadow priests for raiding right now, the debuff limit is still only 8. When it gets bumped up to 16, then the Shadow Priests will be able to help out the warlocks much more.

Due to itemization being subpar and weird talent, ele shamans aren't in high demand... at all. Mages and warlocks will always beat your dps. As for totems, ask the guild if they want a specific one up, though I hear they're kinda bugged at the moment and using the wrong totem effects.

Hunters are more or less spot on, but also be an Engineer, namely a goblin engineer for those jumper cables and if you're using a gun, keep yourself stocked up on crafted Thorium Shells.

Mage is more or less right, but also bring food and drinks for the classes that need it to reduce downtime. Those priests are gonna be staring at you, waiting for stacks of water.

As a priest while leveling, it'll be harder for you to look like HK bait when you're in your domain known as the group healer and have several people dedicated to keeping you alive while they do their best to murderize whatever looks at you funny. If you want something that's good all around for soloing, grouping, and instances, you can't go wrong as a Hunter or Warlock, but understand that most raiding guilds only take a few hunters with them at a time compared to mages and locks. Mages are also up there with hunter and locks in terms of soloing, grouping, and instance viability. That and they are nightmares in pvp if they get the jump on someone.

As for druids, you can bear form to off-tank at times, and the upcoming itemization for newer items will make it much easier for feral-spec druids in raids and such. It's just that Vanilla pigeonholes the hybrid classes into specific roles, it was when TBC hit that the hybrid classes started to shine in other specs and Wrath saw them flourish even more.

Thank you kindly for your valuable input. What you've said has truly helped shape my decision.

Preist - I think I'm over this choice. I liked the idea of shadowsolo and holy groups as well as the chance to go for benediction. However, having at least the option to play shadow would be nice in case playing with 5 ranks of 1 spell wasn't fun. If this isn't hugely viable I'll pass (for now).

Shaman- Again, if ele isn't really viable then I'll be tunnled into a role that's risky to say the least. I don't mind healing, but if I weren't to like it then I fear it would ruin the whole experience.

Hunter- Quite tempted by this. My vanilla hunter only got to 54 before TBC, but he was fun. There were the tedious parts like feeding the pet and stocking up on ammo, but they were minimal. Only thing bumming me out is how guilds only take so many. I'm not expecting a perma spot, but if there's 5+ DPS spots left and I can't come because we have 3 hunters I'll be bummed out at my choice.

Druid- I'll pass on this. The purdy sets and ability to both stealth and tank when in solo/groups seemed nice. However, i don't think I'll enjoy my two viable roles being tank and healer.

What is it that makes hunters only good up to a certain number? Not enough serpent sting slots or something?

Mage- Put this in green even though I'm still skeptical. They sound good, in demand and have the ability to play well in solo, groups, instances and PvP if done right. However, saying my view of frostbolt spam is pretty much right worries me.

Is there really nothing more than spamming frostbolt?

Warlock - Didn't list this at first because I thought the server was full of them, but reading your post and a guy saying they're "in high demand" is making me reconsider. They have plenty of solo content with their class quests. They have good solo, group, instance and PvP ability.

Do locks have anything other than shadowbolt and soulfire to press? I figured DoT's but with a limited amount I imagine you drop CoE and that's all.

Again, thanks for your help in narrowing my choices down, it's truly appreciated and very insightful!
Skyy
Private
Private

by NikeTheSword » Mon May 25, 2015 9:54 am

Skyy wrote:Only thing bumming me out is how guilds only take so many.

It's simply because hunters dps is subpar compared to mages and rogues.
NikeTheSword
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

by Skyy » Mon May 25, 2015 10:03 am

NikeTheSword wrote:
Skyy wrote:Only thing bumming me out is how guilds only take so many.

It's simply because hunters dps is subpar compared to mages and rogues.

Thanks for clearing that up. A combination of the ugliest tier sets and ugliest DPS combined with all the extra effort needed in feeding and ammo, I'll cross hunters off my list.

So, my choice is narrowed down to mages and warlocks... Which clothie is interesting enough in playstyle to make rogue ganking worth it to level? ;)
Skyy
Private
Private

by Rhinzual30 » Mon May 25, 2015 10:14 am

Skyy wrote:
Rhinzual30 wrote:I'd avoid shadow priests for raiding right now, the debuff limit is still only 8. When it gets bumped up to 16, then the Shadow Priests will be able to help out the warlocks much more.

Thank you kindly for your valuable input. What you've said has truly helped shape my decision.

Preist - I think I'm over this choice. I liked the idea of shadowsolo and holy groups as well as the chance to go for benediction. However, having at least the option to play shadow would be nice in case playing with 5 ranks of 1 spell wasn't fun. If this isn't hugely viable I'll pass (for now).

Shaman- Again, if ele isn't really viable then I'll be tunnled into a role that's risky to say the least. I don't mind healing, but if I weren't to like it then I fear it would ruin the whole experience.

Hunter- Quite tempted by this. My vanilla hunter only got to 54 before TBC, but he was fun. There were the tedious parts like feeding the pet and stocking up on ammo, but they were minimal. Only thing bumming me out is how guilds only take so many. I'm not expecting a perma spot, but if there's 5+ DPS spots left and I can't come because we have 3 hunters I'll be bummed out at my choice.

Druid- I'll pass on this. The purdy sets and ability to both stealth and tank when in solo/groups seemed nice. However, i don't think I'll enjoy my two viable roles being tank and healer.

What is it that makes hunters only good up to a certain number? Not enough serpent sting slots or something?

Mage- Put this in green even though I'm still skeptical. They sound good, in demand and have the ability to play well in solo, groups, instances and PvP if done right. However, saying my view of frostbolt spam is pretty much right worries me.

Is there really nothing more than spamming frostbolt?

Warlock - Didn't list this at first because I thought the server was full of them, but reading your post and a guy saying they're "in high demand" is making me reconsider. They have plenty of solo content with their class quests. They have good solo, group, instance and PvP ability.

Do locks have anything other than shadowbolt and soulfire to press? I figured DoT's but with a limited amount I imagine you drop CoE and that's all.

Again, thanks for your help in narrowing my choices down, it's truly appreciated and very insightful!

Warlocks use Corruption, Curse of Agony (usually, sometimes a 5-man instance will call for another curse, maybe), Fear, drains, health stones to give to a tank, the godly Soulstone that can ress you (when solo anyway, give it to the healer in a 5-man or a dungeon/raid) and mages will usually appreciate the spellstone/firestone off-hands you can give them. You've got the ritual of summoning, and banish too. Fears and banishes stay relevant the whole time. Banish only works on elementals and demons, similar to sheeping them in that they quickly regenerate their health but are taken out of the fight and unlike sheep, don't break early via damage because they're well, banished for the duration. Your felhunter is a godsend in pvp since the paranoia buff helps deal with stealthed enemies and can eat buffs on enemy players/npcs. The succubus has Seduce which can lock down 1 enemy for a good few seconds while it's being channeled.

The imp being a mana battery once you get phase shift and a few other spells is great, and everyone loves Blood Pact because hey, free stamina. If you go 31/5/15, you can turn the imp into a good mana battery with Dark Pact.

Another reason guilds don't take so many hunters is because only a few are needed for tranqs, maybe Trueshot Aura, and that's kinda it. The limit on ammo really hurts them, especially the 200 shots per stack. Using leather/mail armor makes them compete with Fury warriors for BiS raiding gear. Granted, rogues don't need to worry if they go sword/mace/fist, since the ideal fury dps warriors are Orcs using axes, but they'll compete with whatever axes you might use.

As a warlock, you'll be using 3 bags + your backpack, as one bag will eventually be your soulshard bag since those things don't stack and are used for damn near everything.
Rhinzual30
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

by DrearyYew » Mon May 25, 2015 10:25 am

It's also worth noting that while Warlocks are greatly in demand, the demand for them is much higher Alliance side due to the undead racials. With that said, it will still definitely be in demand Horde side, just not as much as Alliance. You can check census data on this as well.
Dreary - Human "Needs No Mana" Holy Paladin
DrearyYew
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

by Skyy » Mon May 25, 2015 10:30 am

Rhinzual30 wrote:Warlocks use Corruption, Curse of Agony (usually, sometimes a 5-man instance will call for another curse, maybe), Fear, drains, health stones to give to a tank, the godly Soulstone that can ress you (when solo anyway, give it to the healer in a 5-man or a dungeon/raid) and mages will usually appreciate the spellstone/firestone off-hands you can give them. You've got the ritual of summoning, and banish too. Fears and banishes stay relevant the whole time. Banish only works on elementals and demons, similar to sheeping them in that they quickly regenerate their health but are taken out of the fight and unlike sheep, don't break early via damage because they're well, banished for the duration. Your felhunter is a godsend in pvp since the paranoia buff helps deal with stealthed enemies and can eat buffs on enemy players/npcs. The succubus has Seduce which can lock down 1 enemy for a good few seconds while it's being channeled.

The imp being a mana battery once you get phase shift and a few other spells is great, and everyone loves Blood Pact because hey, free stamina. If you go 31/5/15, you can turn the imp into a good mana battery with Dark Pact.

Another reason guilds don't take so many hunters is because only a few are needed for tranqs, maybe Trueshot Aura, and that's kinda it. The limit on ammo really hurts them, especially the 200 shots per stack. Using leather/mail armor makes them compete with Fury warriors for BiS raiding gear. Granted, rogues don't need to worry if they go sword/mace/fist, since the ideal fury dps warriors are Orcs using axes, but they'll compete with whatever axes you might use.

As a warlock, you'll be using 3 bags + your backpack, as one bag will eventually be your soulshard bag since those things don't stack and are used for damn near everything.

Apologies if this seems brief. Like my initial post I wrote it out and a "please wait 5 seconds for your brower to play with itself" wiped my entire message.

I appreciate your insight more than you can know. Seriously, you're amazing! Warlock is looking like the prime candidate. having more than 1 spell to cast. Having a range of pets to change the playstyle. They seem good for literally anything you want to do, which is a big bonus.

If mages are truly just frostbolt spammers then I think the decision is made. Conjuring food and polymorph-pig aren't near enough reasons to turn away from warlock after your insight. Thanks a bunch!

DrearyYew wrote:It's also worth noting that while Warlocks are greatly in demand, the demand for them is much higher Alliance side due to the undead racials. With that said, it will still definitely be in demand Horde side, just not as much as Alliance. You can check census data on this as well.

That's actually great to know. I was torn between horde/alliance. Undead or human. It seems my decision is leaning warlock with quite a strong sway. So I guess my final choice is which faction to play ^^ The extra demand and the fact I played horde on live is telling me alliance.

Thanks to you too for your insight, this thread has really boosted my excitement to install and play. :)
Skyy
Private
Private

by Rhinzual30 » Mon May 25, 2015 1:39 pm

Skyy wrote:
Rhinzual30 wrote:Warlocks use Corruption, Curse of Agony (usually, sometimes a 5-man instance will call for another curse, maybe), Fear, drains, health stones to give to a tank, the godly Soulstone that can ress you (when solo anyway, give it to the healer in a 5-man or a dungeon/raid) and mages will usually appreciate the spellstone/firestone off-hands you can give them. You've got the ritual of summoning, and banish too. Fears and banishes stay relevant the whole time. Banish only works on elementals and demons, similar to sheeping them in that they quickly regenerate their health but are taken out of the fight and unlike sheep, don't break early via damage because they're well, banished for the duration. Your felhunter is a godsend in pvp since the paranoia buff helps deal with stealthed enemies and can eat buffs on enemy players/npcs. The succubus has Seduce which can lock down 1 enemy for a good few seconds while it's being channeled.

Apologies if this seems brief. Like my initial post I wrote it out and a "please wait 5 seconds for your brower to play with itself" wiped my entire message.

I appreciate your insight more than you can know. Seriously, you're amazing! Warlock is looking like the prime candidate. having more than 1 spell to cast. Having a range of pets to change the playstyle. They seem good for literally anything you want to do, which is a big bonus.

If mages are truly just frostbolt spammers then I think the decision is made. Conjuring food and polymorph-pig aren't near enough reasons to turn away from warlock after your insight. Thanks a bunch!

DrearyYew wrote:It's also worth noting that while Warlocks are greatly in demand, the demand for them is much higher Alliance side due to the undead racials. With that said, it will still definitely be in demand Horde side, just not as much as Alliance. You can check census data on this as well.

That's actually great to know. I was torn between horde/alliance. Undead or human. It seems my decision is leaning warlock with quite a strong sway. So I guess my final choice is which faction to play ^^ The extra demand and the fact I played horde on live is telling me alliance.

Thanks to you too for your insight, this thread has really boosted my excitement to install and play. :)

Keep in mind that Alliance has a very hard time leveling, especially in areas like Hillsbrad. To get an idea of how bad some gank squads can get in major quest hubs, go check out NikeTheSword's thread About Ganking and Leveling on the first page of the PvP sub-forum: viewtopic.php?f=46&t=11668

Be prepared to adopt the mentality and strategies of an Everquest player, you may need it.
Rhinzual30
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

by Skyy » Mon May 25, 2015 3:17 pm

Rhinzual30 wrote:Keep in mind that Alliance has a very hard time leveling, especially in areas like Hillsbrad. To get an idea of how bad some gank squads can get in major quest hubs, go check out NikeTheSword's thread About Ganking and Leveling on the first page of the PvP sub-forum: viewtopic.php?f=46&t=11668

Be prepared to adopt the mentality and strategies of an Everquest player, you may need it.

Ahaha, so glad I read this after spending over an hour levelling a human to 7 x)

I'll give the thread a read over and maybe re-roll horde is it seems too terrible. I don't want to be forced into low density grinding just to hide from enemies.

Thanks kindly for this, you probably just saved me multiple hours or screaming at pixels.
Skyy
Private
Private

Return to Mechanics and classes